+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Shortage of lorry drivers? What is to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Didnt have my choice on the ballot paper Kerr but that's democracy for you! I had to put up with the simplistic in or out.
    no sitting on the fence box to tick?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Exactly. It was argued on this board many times that if we go through with a hard Brexit, then we would have to find a way of plugging the job and skills gaps that are left through the EU workers that choose to leave and not come back. And if that involved a big re-training programme and improved pay and conditions for UK nationals, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I'd have voted leave myself if I thought that the Leave leaders had any interest in that happening. But it was never going to happen so here we are.

Wait until the gaps in health and social care start biting.
    Are you saying that pay and conditions aren't improving? I listened to an article on Radio 4 the other day (the BBC, so either Marxist or Fascist, depending upon the politics of the person making the judgement) in which a manager of a recruitment agency said that he now has driving jobs on his books that pay £450 per day, which he said equates to in excess of £100k pa (I haven't checked the maths). He further stated that the going rate for driving has risen by in excess of 50% since January 2019. Even if there is some exaggeration there, that is impressive and will serve to both bring drivers out of retirement and encourage new joiners.

It's more than a little arrogant to suggest that Leave leaders had no interest in such things. They simply held a a different view of where the country should be in relation to Europe to that held by Remainers. As the squeeze on the availability of labour would inevitably mean an increase in wages, it is just ridiculous to suggest that was something that Leavers - leaders or otherwise - were not engaged with.

Hell, even The Spectator ran an article last week in which they noted - with approval - the rise in wages in this country. That in part is the point I made earlier concerning the position that the Left (which I would associate with the Labour Party for anyone struggling with the term) and Right (associated with the Tories) have found themselves in - seemingly arguing against their traditional positions.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 26-09-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Are you saying that pay and conditions aren't improving? I listened to an article on Radio 4 the other day (the BBC so either Marxist or Fascist, depending upon the politics of the person making the judgement) in which a manager of a recruitment agency said that he now has driving jobs on his books that pay £450 per day, which he said equates to in excess of £100k pa (I haven't checked the maths). He further stated that the going rate for driving has risen by in excess of 50% since January 2019. Even if there is some exaggeration there, that is impressive and will serve to both bring drivers out of retirement and encourage new joiners.

It's more than a little arrogant to suggest that Leave leaders had no interest in such things. They simply held a a different view of where the country should be in relation to Europe to that held by Remainers. As the squeeze on the availability of labour would inevitably mean an increase in wages, it is just ridiculous to suggest that was something that Leavers - leaders or otherwise - were not engaged with.
    If the view of your recruitment manager interviewed is true and we have a good and long term solution by improving pay and conditions of UK workers recruited to fill the skills gaps in the UK, in haulage hospitality, h&sc etc, , then that would be brilliant and I'd say that brexit was a success. Early days but I'm not sure I share your optimism. I applaud your optimism that the Brexit leaders were engaged with the problem of filling the skills gaps domestically, but why do you think, 5 years on from the vote this problem wasn't planned for by this brexit government? Shouldn't we be seeing recruitment drives domestically in these key areas as well as haulage?
    Last edited by ragingpup; 26-09-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Despite all the dishonest scaremongering from the mainstream media the people decided to get out of the EU prison in a referendum where the vote was as high any other election.Can the remainiacs please accept democracy and get a life.

remoaners take note. we have fkd off.
    It doesn't matter what you think.😂😊😂😊😊

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    It's the kind of carry on that erodes us as a society and as people - we are better than this, surely?
    I'm really not sure we are to be honest.

I'm angry at what this country is becoming and has become, and that's true for a lot of people of my generation. Sometimes human nature and anger just lead to certain unavoidable behaviours.

But highlighting the consequences of giant mistakes isn't just a just a gleeful vent, politics is constantly changing. Bad ideas need to be punished in the court of public opinion so society can recognise them and fix them.

I'm hoping we're going to see radical change. The younger generation gives me hope for the future of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post

I'm angry at what this country is becoming and has become, and that's true for a lot of people of my generation. Sometimes human nature and anger just lead to certain unavoidable behaviours.

But highlighting the consequences of giant mistakes isn't just a just a gleeful vent, politics is constantly changing. Bad ideas need to be punished in the court of public opinion so society can recognise them and fix them.

I'm hoping we're going to see radical change. The younger generation gives me hope for the future of this country.
    Yes, bad ideas like letting in immigrants and wasting time on divisive issues like black lives matter.

The country is going down the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The country is going down the pan.
    I think we've found something we completely agree upon.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post

Thank goodness.. we left the EU, we would be in a right mess if we hadn’t, how big a W@nker is Macron, he’s fecking shyte..who would want anything to do with this Pr1ck

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Thank goodness.. we left the EU, we would be in a right mess if we hadn’t, how big a W@nker is Macron, he’s fecking shyte..who would want anything to do with this Pr1ck
    Are you on a bonus today to see how many foreigners you can call W@ankers and Pr!cks

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast