+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again - 'Talks can wait'

Here we go again - 'Talks can wait'

How much was spoken last season of contract talks not being entered in to until it was too late for some.

Yes, we have only just started a season but surely even Warne knows the calibre of a player he has on his books. I firmly believe the club left it far too late to begin negotiations to tie Smith down to a new extended favourable contract so, we already know this is his last season for us and the way he's scoring of late, he'll be gone by January and a massive loss of a player to our structure. Bad management all round.

I've picked up on we only have Ogbene who we can tie down to an extended 12 month on his contract, if the club feel they wish to do so. The likes of Johannson, Lindsay, Ihiekwe, Wood, Ladapo, Miller and Sadlier are all out of contract at the end of this season and yes there are some in there that don't deserve retaining, however, there are others who do.
    Let's hope they don't lose them for stalling.

The club have stated they will not be entering into contract talks with players until closer to the New year which for me, may border on being too late for retaining some players who have the calibre to be retained. My main question is, why do we leave it so late in an attempt to retain services of good players while other clubs just see the talent and extend contracts accordingly?

Is it Warne doesn't want to rock the boat with some players by extending some contracts and not others? Those that he isn't looking to want to extend will soon get the message and maybe it just might make them try harder, no names mentioned.

In the meantime, everyone has to wait.
    Last edited by Brin; 24-09-2021 at 03:00 PM.

It happens at every club Brin. Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappe are out on contract this summer and I'm sure their respective clubs acknowledge their talents. Because we support the Millers we pick up on each player that is out of contract any given season but each and every club throughout the leagues will have a load of players on expiring deals. It would be lovely if all our favourite players were tied down on friendly, long term deals but it isn't that easy. So many factors come into play from the club side and player, everything takes time. I have no idea when the club tried to sit down with Smith over a new deal, whether that was recently or ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    It happens at every club Brin. Paul Pogba and Kylian Mbappe are out on contract this summer and I'm sure their respective clubs acknowledge their talents. Because we support the Millers we pick up on each player that is out of contract any given season but each and every club throughout the leagues will have a load of players on expiring deals. It would be lovely if all our favourite players were tied down on friendly, long term deals but it isn't that easy. So many factors come into play from the club side and player, everything takes time. I have no idea when the club tried to sit down with Smith over a new deal, whether that was recently or ages ago.
    A lot of that is because Pogba & Mbappe wanted to leave so they didn’t want to sign a new contract.Still say Mabappe will finish up at Liverpool.

Just out of interest Brin, at this point in time what negotiating power do you think the club have over any of the players you mention? The only power they ever really have is money so unless they are going to say "We'll offer you a 1,2,3 year contract on double the money" (and obviously they aren't going to do that because (a) they are sensible and (b) they don't know where we'll be next season) they have nothing to bargain with.

We can’t complete with money clubs so we have to just hope players want to stay for footballing reasons (well them that get regular games) but don’t leave it too late to talk before others pounce on them, if they want to go then at least we can say we tried our best (budget) whether we agree with that or not.

Careful Brin, moaning about Warney 😏

Which players have left for free recently that we should have pulled out all the stops to keep though?

Clark Robertson. Not value for money.
    Matt Olusunde. Average. One outstanding game at Goodison. Versatile was his main attribute and he too is now injured.
    Billy Jones. Same comments as Robertson.
    Shaun MacDonald. PW didn't want to keep him

Kicking the can down the road.

Contract talks might involve disagreements

We don’t do disagreements or conflict of any type.

Kick that can

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Which players have left for free recently that we should have pulled out all the stops to keep though?

Clark Robertson. Not value for money.
    Matt Olusunde. Average. One outstanding game at Goodison. Versatile was his main attribute and he too is now injured.
    Billy Jones. Same comments as Robertson.
    Shaun MacDonald. PW didn't want to keep him
    Out of them only Robbo worth the risk on ability but not on keeping fit so it's a no

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    We can’t complete with money clubs so we have to just hope players want to stay for footballing reasons (well them that get regular games) but don’t leave it too late to talk before others pounce on them, if they want to go then at least we can say we tried our best (budget) whether we agree with that or not.

Careful Brin, moaning about Warney 😏
    MT, who said I'm moaning about Warney. I'm involving all that are responsible for negotiating players contracts. I do take your point though that TLC may have a contract taken out on me if I challenge anything Warney

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Just out of interest Brin, at this point in time what negotiating power do you think the club have over any of the players you mention? The only power they ever really have is money so unless they are going to say "We'll offer you a 1,2,3 year contract on double the money" (and obviously they aren't going to do that because (a) they are sensible and (b) they don't know where we'll be next season) they have nothing to bargain with.
    CAM, every club has the power to retain any player if they so badly want to retain his services, like you say money. It's all down to when the approach takes place, in Smith's case too late, or far earlier than we normally do. In Smith's case as of now it's far too down the road so to speak in trying to have him change his mind but, this is one good player we've not managed well at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast