+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rotherham

Rotherham

My first away game for more than 2 years! Hopefully, the performance will be better than Tuesday night.
    Many expected us to beat Morecambe but didn't expect us to get anything against the Millers. Perhaps that's a good thing!
    I expect Gomes and Murphy will play and Ainley will probably lose out. Other than that will Offord or Sass-Davies get a chance to play?
    As for the result, well......can't see us winning. I'm going for a 2-0 defeat.
    Any other predictions welcome 😄

My first Alex game since Stevenage. Hoping for a good game. Not expecting much 3-1 loss. Have predicted 3 CB again. Offord instead of Ainley and Gomes for his 1st game instead of Lundstram. No Murphy.

Also hoping for 3 at the back today !!
    Gomes to pull the strings in midfield, and our pace up front perfect for an away win
    I predict a 3-2 win 🤞

Looking at the line up, it looks like 3 at the back, despite what BBC website says. Not sure though if it's going to be a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3, as Ainley could play either centre mid or out wide. If it is 3-5-2, it'll suit Kashket's game better, playing through the centre in a two. My prediction? I'm going to be positive, and say 1-1.

Not in a position to watch, or even listen to the match today, but, looking at the match stats and live text on the BBC website, it looks like we're struggling to lay a glove on Rotherham. One long range shot from Murphy's our only attacking stat. From the text on BBC, you don't know how good the chances for Rotherham were, but the fact that there was nine of them, and most of them were from inside the area, is worrying. 0-0 at half time is a positive though I suppose...

Sixty odd minutes in, we're a goal down and nothing's changed. I think the manager has to take some blame. We're looking for a cutting edge going forward, Ainley gets injured, and do we bring on our attacking, creative midfielder off the bench? No. We bring on Lundstram. Has Gomes done a number two in Artell's cornflakes? He's a midfielder that can create and score goals, but apparently Lundstram is the better option. As we're playing what looks to me like a 3-5-2, we could play Murphs and Robertson in midfield, with Gomes playing in behind the front two. It almost feels like we'd just written this game off.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Sixty odd minutes in, we're a goal down and nothing's changed. I think the manager has to take some blame. We're looking for a cutting edge going forward, Ainley gets injured, and do we bring on our attacking, creative midfielder off the bench? No. We bring on Lundstram. Has Gomes done a number two in Artell's cornflakes? He's a midfielder that can create and score goals, but apparently Lundstram is the better option. As we're playing what looks to me like a 3-5-2, we could play Murphs and Robertson in midfield, with Gomes playing in behind the front two. It almost feels like we'd just written this game off.
    But apparently not, with Ports scoring a LATE pen (as of course he was bound to when given the chance.)

It seems that the team were sent out to play a holding game and that's what they did. However, the danger of that tactic is the outcome we got when they scored. A lot of people will blame Daniels for their goal but I feel Kashket should accept the bulk of responsibility for conceding the goal. Not only did he play an unnecessary back-pass, but he also hit it with some force. This gave Daniels a difficult task of controlling and distributing the ball. Some of the better ball players would have had difficulty, never mind Daniels.
    Still, in the end, happy to come away with a draw, particularly after how the game panned out and especially with a last minute equaliser.
    So, another difficult game on Tuesday night. Another point would be good.

Watching the highlights and we should have lost that game easily. We also should have had a pen earlier and our left full back allowed their winger to continually get crosses into the box.