+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Assessment

Assessment

First half was all huff and puff. Grant was anonymous and Grady was poor.
    Like others we were baffled when Grant was left on but Diangana had contributed little.
    What a difference when Hugill and Robinson came on, for the first time the Rangers defence looked worried. Hugill has physical presence that Grant lacks and Robinson is very quick. This gave Grant who had been shackled more space which he took with relish.
    I might be one of a few but I love Valerians high press game, and the never say die fighting spirit.
    As an old Baggie I have always been a purist, and can fully understand our fans not liking the more direct approach, but the days when we could outfootball side's especially in the premier league are long gone. We don't have the money to afford player's who can play that way.
    The defence under Moore and Jones tried to football their way out and with disastrous results.
    Now the ball is played first out first time but when we get it in the opponent's half we get it down and play slick stuff.
    Unbeaten, top of the league for a few hours, what's not to like?
    As a comparison, at the end of September 1975, Giles's first season and with some club legends in the team, we were rock bottom of the second division.
    Cheer up. It could be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    First half was all huff and puff. Grant was anonymous and Grady was poor.
    Like others we were baffled when Grant was left on but Diangana had contributed little.
    What a difference when Hugill and Robinson came on, for the first time the Rangers defence looked worried. Hugill has physical presence that Grant lacks and Robinson is very quick. This gave Grant who had been shackled more space which he took with relish.
    I might be one of a few but I love Valerians high press game, and the never say die fighting spirit.
    As an old Baggie I have always been a purist, and can fully understand our fans not liking the more direct approach, but the days when we could outfootball side's especially in the premier league are long gone. We don't have the money to afford player's who can play that way.
    The defence under Moore and Jones tried to football their way out and with disastrous results.
    Now the ball is played first out first time but when we get it in the opponent's half we get it down and play slick stuff.
    Unbeaten, top of the league for a few hours, what's not to like?
    As a comparison, at the end of September 1975, Giles's first season and with some club legends in the team, we were rock bottom of the second division.
    Cheer up. It could be a lot worse.

Totally 100% agree Des! Val is doing a great job considering a poor squad! I still think some of the youngsters should be given an opportunity though at some point!

Grant's second goal last night showed we are quite capable of playing quick incisive football on the ground when the opportunity arises and I am hoping Grant's confidence will have been boosted tremendously now. Sometimes a striker needs that bit of luck to kick start the goals flowing and Grant had that with his first goal. Finally I am eating humble pie as on a post yesterday I said I fully expected to lose last night and that Austin would score. I am happy to be eating the pie.

For all the fuss about Diangana's substitution I thought he was having a frustratingly unproductive game.

Yes it gets the crowd going when he runs with the ball but all too often he holds on to it too long.

Not only that but his final ball was poor for the most part the other night, especially from wide areas. Taking him off was 100% the correct decision.

He'll have other games where he's better but I genuinely couldn't understand the widespread angst at his departure.

As for Grant being anonymous during the first half it would have been nice if his teammates had looked up once in a while to see he had acres of space to run into.

If Grady had picked him out with the occasional incisive pass at speed he may well have been left on.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)