+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Altrincham. 25.09.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Roberts having a mare.
    Goals aside, I've not been impressed by Roberts play this year. Wastes a lot of good positions by chosing the wrong option

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    Unfortunately 'Burchnallball' and 'Ardleyball' seem alarmingly similar, and we all know where 'Ardleyball' led us
    I think the difference is that Burchnall doesn't want to settle for passive football, whereas sometimes it seemed that Ardley did. I'm sure IB wants his team to play attacking forward passes and maintain a high tempo, but for some reason it seems like he has to kick them up the arse at half-time in every game to get them to do it. Some of our players seem very reluctant to take responsibility for making things happen, opting instead to play 'safe' football which invites pressure and eventually turns out to be unsafe. IB has said himself that we are not yet playing anything like the football he wants to see, so it's not a case of him pretending everything's great or 'respecting the point'.

The question is, do the players truly believe in their ability to build from the back, and if you've got a seriously disrupted team with some new and unfamiliar faces, is it wise to rely so heavily on a style that potentially exposes weaknesses and unfamiliarity between players?

Over 25 years I've seen Notts play every style of football imaginable, and I've yet to see anything more reliable and successful than the old Warnock adage - 'get the ball out of your half as soon as possible and play your football in the opponent's half'. Warnock was often wrongly labelled a long-ball manager, but in truth his teams played some very entertaining passing football in the attacking third of the pitch, where you can afford to take risks and be creative and still have space to recover. The likes of Draper, Thomas, and Johnson weren't cloggers, they were good footballers who thrived in NW's style.
    Last edited by jackal2; 25-09-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I think the difference is that Burchnall doesn't want to settle for passive football, whereas sometimes it seemed that Ardley did. I'm sure IB wants his team to play attacking forward passes and maintain a high tempo, but for some reason it seems like he has to kick them up the arse at half-time in every game to get them to do it. Some of our players seem very reluctant to take responsibility for making things happen, opting instead to play 'safe' football which invites pressure eventually turns out to be unsafe. IB has said himself that we are not yet playing anything like the football he wants to see, so it's not a case of him pretending everything's great or 'respecting the point'.

The question is, do the players truly believe in their ability to build from the back, and if you've got a seriously disrupted team with some new and unfamiliar faces, is it wise to rely so heavily on a style that potentially exposes weaknesses and unfamiliarity between players?

Over 25 years I've seen Notts play every style of football imaginable, and I've yet to see anything more reliable and successful than the old Warnock adage - 'get the ball out of your half as soon as possible and play your football in the opponent's half'. Warnock was often wrongly labelled a long-ball manager, but in truth his teams played some very entertaining passing football in the attacking third of the pitch, where you can afford to take risks and still have space to recover.
    Absolutely agree with your last paragraph. At this level i just don't understand why you would want to leave the defenders passing it around. They aren't good enough. It just invites trouble.

2nd best today unfortunately

Being outplayed and zero shots on goal. Think that loan market will need dipping into again I think.

Hopefully, best we can hope for is to be awarded a dodgy penalty, but I doubt we would score even then!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Hopefully, best we can hope for is to be awarded a dodgy penalty, but I doubt we would score even then!
    IB not gettint the best out of this group last few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Being outplayed and zero shots on goal. Think that loan market will need dipping into again I think.
    Bloody Hell, sounds like Roddy is having a stinker.

8/1 for a Notts win now . . .

Rodrigues misses open goal after good fast move

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast