+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cornet Crocked on his full PL debut.

I've stated quite often, and confidently, on here that Pope would not be signing for Chelsea or Arsenal or any of the other big clubs that were supposedly interested in him, I've also said he would not be replacing Pickford in the England team, and I wasn't wrong was I ?There is a reason why Pope is still here and still not playing for England, just watch the Leicester game for clues.

Pope has made several good saves over his time, kept us in games and earned us points. I am reluctant therefore to criticise him. He will make mistakes, but I agree with the question marks about our defending. A couple of seasons ago, Pope was vying for the most clean sheets. He and others were the first to acknowledge that it was not just him, but the defence as a unit.

This season, we cannot keep a clean sheet to save our life. I did not see the match against Leicester. Based upon the commentary on Clarets + we played good, attacking football in the first half. With the loss of Cornet, the second half was one way traffic. Players like Woods, JBG, McNeil hardly got a mention. We cannot defend for 45 minutes. We seem incapable of nullifying the threat from certain key players.

Surely if we are going to persist with trying to defend a slender lead for most of the match, we need to pack the midfield to deny space. Giving players like Tielmans the freedom of the pitch is a recipe for disaster.

I agree too with the comment about Woods. He is offside too often.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I have said it from day one he is nowhere near as good as Tom Heaton and in recent games his weaknesses and fragility have been exposed-terrible distribution and hopeless when coming out to on rushing players.I would have Henessey before him any day.
    Not many keepers can match Tom Heaton in his pomp and Leicester wasn’t Nick’s finest hour but I don’t have enough fingers on my gloves to count the times he has saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Pope has made several good saves over his time, kept us in games and earned us points. I am reluctant therefore to criticise him. He will make mistakes, but I agree with the question marks about our defending. A couple of seasons ago, Pope was vying for the most clean sheets. He and others were the first to acknowledge that it was not just him, but the defence as a unit.

This season, we cannot keep a clean sheet to save our life. I did not see the match against Leicester. Based upon the commentary on Clarets + we played good, attacking football in the first half. With the loss of Cornet, the second half was one way traffic. Players like Woods, JBG, McNeil hardly got a mention. We cannot defend for 45 minutes. We seem incapable of nullifying the threat from certain key players.

Surely if we are going to persist with trying to defend a slender lead for most of the match, we need to pack the midfield to deny space. Giving players like Tielmans the freedom of the pitch is a recipe for disaster.

I agree too with the comment about Woods. He is offside too often.
    I am surprised that they never mentioned JBG because he was fouled and it was not given and this directly led to their second equaliser! I would not have complained, had it not been for the fact that JBG had been penalised twice in the previous few minutes for committing fouls exactly like the one he was the victim of!

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Taylor gets the shout from Mee as he’s coming onto the ball instead of chasing
    this coming onto the ball ?....Army.

so your sayong he (Mee) thought he had a better chance at getting the ball before Taylor or Vardy ?

if he did....he must've been wearing invisible binoculars !

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Not many keepers can match Tom Heaton in his pomp and Leicester wasn’t Nick’s finest hour but I don’t have enough fingers on my gloves to count the times he has saved the day.
    Certainly he has made numerous good saves for us Outwood, but that's his job, all PL keepers make outstanding saves on a regular basis. Tom Heaton played 188 league games for us, I must have seen over 120 of them live and at least highlights of the others on TV, I can only recall him letting two 'soft' ones in in all those games. Nick let two 'soft' ones in in one game at Leicester. He can make some spectaculsr saves, but I do not have anywhere near the same ragard for Nick that I did for Tom. No comparison imo.

Norder: It all depends on the moment you stop the video. For example at 0.49. Mee is closer to Vardy than Taylor .

But each time there are defensive mistakes, there seems to be a lack of command / communication in those defensive positions.

We can not see it exactly in the video at 0.49, but ask, where is Tarks? I would say ...out of position. In the video Mee is covering Lookman ( no 37), but near also to Vardy than what Taylor is. That is with Tarks out of position Mee has to decide who to mark now Lookman or Vardy. Taylors's position is that what is behind him ,he hasn't a clue, not any distance involved, or of any movement ,totally blind to it all. But Mee has Vardy before him in his sights!! Then in fact closer at this point to Vardy than Taylor. Also it seems there is a lack of communication between the centre backs! Why did Tarks move forward leaving the defence weaker? After that Taylor did make mistakes by running towards Vardy and not for the ball.

How that speedster Vardy was not marked closer?? Words fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    Norder: It all depends on the moment you stop the video. For example at 0.49. Mee is closer to Vardy than Taylor .

But each time there are defensive mistakes, there seems to be a lack of command / communication in those defensive positions.
    Mee was closer to Vardy (with his back to him) when Soumare was just our side of the half way line....so before the actual attack - but after Tielemans received the ball, made his run forward, and Vardy chose his course, from that point, was for Taylor to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    How that speedster Vardy was not marked closer?? Words fail me.
    as seen here Balam....

Laughable !

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

this coming onto the ball ?....Army.

so your sayong he (Mee) thought he had a better chance at getting the ball before Taylor or Vardy ?

if he did....he must've been wearing invisible binoculars !

Wasn’t saying it was right Norder only an explanation of why Taylor let Mee come across and didn’t pursue it himself.

There wasn’t much arguing between them to say they bodged it whoever is at fault.

Imo Mee is not a captain , he’s not a leader

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Wasn’t saying it was right Norder only an explanation of why Taylor let Mee come across and didn’t pursue it himself.
    There wasn’t much arguing between them to say they bodged it whoever is at fault.
    Imo Mee is not a captain , he’s not a leader
    sure - Army...a comedy of errors....a ridiculous affair, as look at where they ended up (above image, #28)....and if Taylor did change tack at Mee's order, then both can get that most special of awards.

The Fruitcake !

so popular these days, they can't leave it alone. I see some sneaky scoffers already nabbed a slice.

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark

Donna Summer MacArthur Park 1978

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)