+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad problems

A couple of things that I don’t like, or kind of wind me up…

1. When people/media say we are an exciting or free flowing team to watch…Are we? When? Tippy tapping the ball around the back line at walking pace isn’t exciting or free flowing. Since last season, when admittedly we did play with some kind of tempo and a high press we’ve visually digressed and are now playing the sterile type of football we saw under Ardley and Macparland sometime before him.

2. ‘It’s a sign of a good team to win when not playing well’….how many times have we seen this on this board or in the media before inevitably just seeing the team turn scrappy wins into draws and inept defeats. It’s a right load of boll0cks. When a team plays poorly for long enough, like we have since opening day, it’s a sign that we are a poor team…not a good team playing poorly!

3. ‘The players need time to gel’…although true to a certain degree, it is also the case for almost every other team in the division, including ones who are playing well and top of the league. It’s just another sound bite of an excuse to cover up poor performances.

We’re nearly 10 games in now, we should be gelling. That IB is still answering the same questions about slow starts and pedestrian football has me pretty worried that this squad of players aren’t capable of carrying out the managers instructions. Our recruitment looks to have been pretty sketchy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    In the cold light of day I think this about things. I'm really pleased we have these owners and maybe they could have spent more but they're trying to grow the club the other way and make sellable assets. They also have what we might term a coach as well as a manager who can improve players. I think we have been restricted by covid and Brexit in getting overseas players and had to buy British this year which probably meant a whole list of targets who would have improved us haven't arrived. I like IB in the fact he can see a game and change it, now is the time though he has to back up his words as can't listen to another post match when he says we don't come out first half to be followed by exactly the same the next game, not good enough.

Yesterday having the players out we did plus 2 new loans straight into the team will affect not only the defence but the whole team. Having said that it's not just yesterday we have looked pretty toothless upfront and with our lauded front 3 this needs to change. This though isn't helped by the midfield still needing a strong centre mid to break up play and get us going again, we're still abit soft in that region. Can other players also be coached for say the wing back positions as the jury is still out for me whether they can go forward and back well enough in these positions. Will IBs tactics and expectations be too much for some of our players? Probably yes at this level and if they're contracted then we been to make sure they can do it 75%-80% of the time at least until we can buy improvements further up the leagues. All in all though we're doing OK and think we're still hungover from Barnet, I still feel the players think they just have to turn up which is why they don't get going from minute one, they should be tearing into these teams like a giddy kid at Xmas, they play football for a living at a great club, from the first whistle earn your corn.

Alot of our fear is contemplating a 4th season in this league but at the moment I don't think we should be thinking about this. We have a solid ownership, I personally do wish they would make a statement every so often, not promising things like other incumbents but just some updates and to keep us with the faith. I like IB and think he should be given as long as Ardley was as this is a tough league to get out of so deserves at least 2 seasons to build his squad. At least for me I think we have owners who have our best interests at heart and if they sold us would not leave us with anyone worse. As for Chesterfield then their manager is simply a good manager who learnt the league last year and they've spent alot through loans etc, they would be my tips for the title but if we improve consistency then we will be a match for anyone in the playoffs. The next 5 games are very important, obviously for the results yes but I am looking for an upturn in starting the games and the passion.

I'm off to Halifax away so I'll do a player report to see if they're picking up. Have a good Sunday everyone and do something you enjoy. Things aren't too bad though really Notts wise for me anyway so don't let it get you down!
    Fair comments.

I think the owners are fine, I like most of what the manager says and does and wish him well, and I think there's enough ability in this squad to achieve something, albeit we're now looking to develop younger talent rather than splashing big money on wages and transfer fees as we did in the past.

We have to remember that yesterday was our first defeat, so there's certainly no need for panic. We've arguably dropped about four points that we should have taken to date this season, so the question is: What can we do to get more out of the talent I believe we've got in players like Roberts, Wootton, and Rodrigues?

I'm looking to Ian Burchnall to show why he's different compared with managers we've had before like Keith Curle and Neal Ardley, who both wanted to play a very purist passing game but seemed unable or unwilling to recognise that the players were struggling to make it work. Both managers ultimately left because they were unwilling to adopt a more flexible approach, by which I don't mean abandoning their principles entirely, but rather, admitting to themselves that some of their tactics were hindering the players at their disposal rather than helping them.

Whether it's a case of changing his instructions or just getting his players to better understand them, Burchnall needs to encourage the team to get the ball out of defensive half more quickly, whether it's in the air or on the floor. We can then play as much creative football as we wish in the opponent's half, as long as we remember that the aim is to get the ball into the opponent's box as often as possible, because that's where players like Rodders, Roberts and Wootton can do damage. At present, they are receiving the ball too infrequently, often in the wrong areas of the pitch, and we aren't getting the ball fast enough or often enough into the opponent's 'Red Zone' (as they call it in the NFL). By getting the ball into the opposition's final third, this ignites and excites the crowd, and we can make maximum use of our 'twelfth man' who sadly at present seems to be quiet and sometimes frustrated for extended periods of the game.

I really hope Ian Burchnall is the kind of coach who learns from what he sees, rather than repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. His in-game substitutions suggest he does see things and change things much faster than a Curle or an Ardley did, but the next step is to make those changes permanent rather than going back to tactics that aren't quite working. For example, the 5-3-2 with wing-backs clearly isn't getting the best out of our players and one or two look really uncomfortable within it. I don't blame IB for giving it every chance over the course of pre-season and the first eight games, but the time has come now to put that one away in the drawer and move to a four at the back formation where the players are less tempted to overplay in the wrong areas. It's okay to play out from the back at times, for example when the opponent has committed players forward and your goalkeeper can trigger a quick counter attack, but don't do it all the time and invite pressure onto players who don't seem comfortable handling it.
    Last edited by jackal2; 26-09-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    For example, the 5-3-2 with wing-backs clearly isn't getting the best out of our players and one or two look really uncomfortable within it. I don't blame IB for giving it every chance over the course of pre-season and the first eight games, but the time has come now to put that one away in the drawer and move to a four at the back formation where the players are less tempted to overplay in the wrong areas.
    Very good post, just want to pick up on this bit. For the Woking home game I hope IB bites the bullet and goes 4-3-3 -even with all the defenders out.
    And if that means its DKE-Brindley-Brennan-Taylor across the backline then so be it. Let it be a test, because if those players can't cope with a home match against Woking then they wouldn't be of much help for a promotion push, would they?
    Against Altrincham he also threw Chicksen in there for a back 5, making up for the loss of Rawlo/Lacey/Cameron. It obviously didn't work, so I'd hate to see a repeat of that strategy next Saturday

Yeah agree with Jackal and AC, it's time to try a different formation to one the players are more comfortable with at this level.

Another back 4 option for Saturday would be - Brindley-Brennan-Chicksen-Taylor.
    And if those players can't handle this 1 game, Woking at home, then they might not the players we need for a serious promotion challenge.
    Back 5s mean less support for our frontline and massive handover of initiative to the opposition. Unless you've got the likes of Miller in there, even Enzio, who did well at wing-back the last time we played Woking.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

1. When people/media say we are an exciting or free flowing team to watch…Are we? When? Tippy tapping the ball around the back line at walking pace isn’t exciting or free flowing. Since last season, when admittedly we did play with some kind of tempo and a high press we’ve visually digressed and are now playing the sterile type of football we saw under Ardley and Macparland sometime before him.

2. ‘It’s a sign of a good team to win when not playing well’….how many times have we seen this on this board or in the media before inevitably just seeing the team turn scrappy wins into draws and inept defeats. It’s a right load of boll0cks. When a team plays poorly for long enough, like we have since opening day, it’s a sign that we are a poor team…not a good team playing poorly!

3. ‘The players need time to gel’…although true to a certain degree, it is also the case for almost every other team in the division, including ones who are playing well and top of the league. It’s just another sound bite of an excuse to cover up poor performances.

We’re nearly 10 games in now, we should be gelling. That IB is still answering the same questions about slow starts and pedestrian football has me pretty worried that this squad of players aren’t capable of carrying out the managers instructions. Our recruitment looks to have been pretty sketchy so far.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Fair comments.

I think the owners are fine, I like most of what the manager says and does and wish him well, and I think there's enough ability in this squad to achieve something, albeit we're now looking to develop younger talent rather than splashing big money on wages and transfer fees as we did in the past.

We have to remember that yesterday was our first defeat, so there's certainly no need for panic. We've arguably dropped about four points that we should have taken to date this season, so the question is: What can we do to get more out of the talent I believe we've got in players like Roberts, Wootton, and Rodrigues?

I'm looking to Ian Burchnall to show why he's different compared with managers we've had before like Keith Curle and Neal Ardley, who both wanted to play a very purist passing game but seemed unable or unwilling to recognise that the players were struggling to make it work. Both managers ultimately left because they were unwilling to adopt a more flexible approach, by which I don't mean abandoning their principles entirely, but rather, admitting to themselves that some of their tactics were hindering the players at their disposal rather than helping them.

Whether it's a case of changing his instructions or just getting his players to better understand them, Burchnall needs to encourage the team to get the ball out of defensive half more quickly, whether it's in the air or on the floor. We can then play as much creative football as we wish in the opponent's half, as long as we remember that the aim is to get the ball into the opponent's box as often as possible, because that's where players like Rodders, Roberts and Wootton can do damage. At present, they are receiving the ball too infrequently, often in the wrong areas of the pitch, and we aren't getting the ball fast enough or often enough into the opponent's 'Red Zone' (as they call it in the NFL). By getting the ball into the opposition's final third, this ignites and excites the crowd, and we can make maximum use of our 'twelfth man' who sadly at present seems to be quiet and sometimes frustrated for extended periods of the game.

I really hope Ian Burchnall is the kind of coach who learns from what he sees, rather than repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. His in-game substitutions suggest he does see things and change things much faster than a Curle or an Ardley did, but the next step is to make those changes permanent rather than going back to tactics that aren't quite working. For example, the 5-3-2 with wing-backs clearly isn't getting the best out of our players and one or two look really uncomfortable within it. I don't blame IB for giving it every chance over the course of pre-season and the first eight games, but the time has come now to put that one away in the drawer and move to a four at the back formation where the players are less tempted to overplay in the wrong areas. It's okay to play out from the back at times, for example when the opponent has committed players forward and your goalkeeper can trigger a quick counter attack, but don't do it all the time and invite pressure onto players who don't seem comfortable handling it.
    It seems to me that we need a system that the players are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    I will go back to the start of this thread and discuss the squad. We let Ellis, a tough, no nonsense centre back and free scoring to boot go! We let Miller, a tricky, fast paced , hungry winger go! Our first signing is Vincent - an injured midfielder who obviously is not rated by Burchnall. We miss out on several first choice targets, we don't sign a decent striker and worse miss out to near rivals Chesterfield. We sign more unheard of, cast off young midfielders. We do make 2 decent signings one in midfield, one in defence. That's about it. No muscle or hustle in midfield, not enough back up at the back, no cutting edge up front. We are out bought, out thought and out gunned by most of our nearest rivals. Yet we have probably the largest and certainly most loyal fan base. This has to be better this season or we will forever be mired in this awful division. However , with the current squad, lack of depth and strength in the team, I have real concerns it won't end any better than last 2 campaigns. Please , please Mr Burchnall, Doyle et Al prove me wrong.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Another back 4 option for Saturday would be - Brindley-Brennan-Chicksen-Taylor.
    And if those players can't handle this 1 game, Woking at home, then they might not the players we need for a serious promotion challenge.
    Back 5s mean less support for our frontline and massive handover of initiative to the opposition. Unless you've got the likes of Miller in there, even Enzio, who did well at wing-back the last time we played Woking.
    Don't matter if its 3,4,5 at the back if I.B continues with having more possession In our own half

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast