Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 211

Thread: Squad problems

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,615
    Can anyone tell me why we can't sign overseas players when Man U have just signed Ronaldo? It looks to me like players are still to-ing and fro-ing in and out of the country willy-nilly.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,360
    Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Can anyone tell me why we can't sign overseas players when Man U have just signed Ronaldo? It looks to me like players are still to-ing and fro-ing in and out of the country willy-nilly.
    It's a (sort of) points based system. You have to be an international or played a certain amount of games in one of the top foreign leagues etc. Probably the same as you can come and work here if you're a doctor but not if you're a brickie.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    It's a (sort of) points based system. You have to be an international or played a certain amount of games in one of the top foreign leagues etc. Probably the same as you can come and work here if you're a doctor but not if you're a brickie.
    Or you can come here to work if youíre an HGV driver, but you have to go home by Christmas. Rich footballers are welcome but less rich ones are immigrants, and we donít like immigrants.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    Or you can come here to work if youíre an HGV driver, but you have to go home by Christmas. Rich footballers are welcome but less rich ones are immigrants, and we donít like immigrants.
    I seem to recall Liam Noble liked to go home for Christmas 😂

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marshall View Post
    I seem to recall Liam Noble liked to go home for Christmas ��
    Immigrants>Liam Noble

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17,148
    Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    Or you can come here to work if you’re an HGV driver, but you have to go home by Christmas. Rich footballers are welcome but less rich ones are immigrants, and we don’t like immigrants.
    But rich footballers can only sign for Sunlit Uplands F.C.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I do but within their own Budget and Remit. I don't think they are being bullied or pressured into adopting the 5h17 or bust method that Stockport , Wrexham or chesterfield have adopted and I for one am glad.
    I said this the season we went down ( in fact well before we went down but got pilloried for it) we as a club need to invest in coaching , nurturing our own , or spotting young talent else where and coaching them to fulfil their potential. Ok the way we play was/is sometimes over adventurous and open to mistakes in dangerous areas and counter attacks, but I would rather we have this approach than say the Ardley one where we treated to one maybe two chances a game if we were lucky, being dominated by nobodies.
    IB is work in progress as is the club , IB needs to be able to adapt his approach and I'm sure will be more fluid in his approach the longer he is here and the more his squad evolves.
    I believe this club will be promoted , maybe not this season but I would say within the next three.

    Do you believe the club is not showing ambition in getting promoted ? if not why not ?
    100% agree with all that

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Can anyone tell me why we can't sign overseas players when Man U have just signed Ronaldo? It looks to me like players are still to-ing and fro-ing in and out of the country willy-nilly.
    I maybe wrong but I thought it was a National League ruling that came into force on the 1st of January this year?

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,101
    Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I maybe wrong but I thought it was a National League ruling that came into force on the 1st of January this year?
    Not a NL ruling, here's the gist...

    "Prior to 1 January 2021, football clubs were able to sign players freely if they were citizens of the EU or Switzerland. This meant that football clubs within the UK had easy access to a Europe-wide talent pool, which enabled clubs to buy and sell players across the continent freely and which, over the years, provided English football with some of the best players in the game.

    However, now EU and non-EU nationals have been placed on a level playing field, with a requirement for them to secure a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) from a sports governing body before the Home Office will consider granting them a sportsperson visa. Players will need to demonstrate that they are elite, internationally established at the highest level and will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK. They will score points based on their international appearances, the quality of the selling club, the league the club is in, the league position and continental competition, as well as club appearances based on domestic league and continental competition minutes. Players who score 15 points or more will earn a GBE which they can then use to support their application for a sportsperson visa."

    I thought this section was potentially interesting for us though, provided it applies below EFL level, although hopefully that isn't relevant for too long of course...

    "The rules do, however, allow for some flexibility around overseas players aged 18 to 21, who may be on the edge of the first team but have not yet accumulated enough GBE points to make a move to the UK. The GBE has a separate set of criteria governing potential signings for this age group, such as receiving credit for youth international appearances, if they fail to make the required 15 points from the general criteria. In addition, the number of overseas U21 players a club can sign has been extended from three in the January 2021 transfer window to six per season moving forwards. The cap on the number of U21 players only seems to apply to Premier League clubs, with EFL clubs presumably being able to recruit as many as they wish."

    https://www.brabners.com/blogs/football-transfers-post-brexit-era
    Last edited by SwalePie; 28-09-2021 at 08:11 PM.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,615
    Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Not a NL ruling, here's the gist...

    "Prior to 1 January 2021, football clubs were able to sign players freely if they were citizens of the EU or Switzerland. This meant that football clubs within the UK had easy access to a Europe-wide talent pool, which enabled clubs to buy and sell players across the continent freely and which, over the years, provided English football with some of the best players in the game.

    However, now EU and non-EU nationals have been placed on a level playing field, with a requirement for them to secure a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) from a sports governing body before the Home Office will consider granting them a sportsperson visa. Players will need to demonstrate that they are elite, internationally established at the highest level and will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK. They will score points based on their international appearances, the quality of the selling club, the league the club is in, the league position and continental competition, as well as club appearances based on domestic league and continental competition minutes. Players who score 15 points or more will earn a GBE which they can then use to support their application for a sportsperson visa."

    I thought this section was potentially interesting for us though, provided it applies below EFL level, although hopefully that isn't relevant for too long of course...

    "The rules do, however, allow for some flexibility around overseas players aged 18 to 21, who may be on the edge of the first team but have not yet accumulated enough GBE points to make a move to the UK. The GBE has a separate set of criteria governing potential signings for this age group, such as receiving credit for youth international appearances, if they fail to make the required 15 points from the general criteria. In addition, the number of overseas U21 players a club can sign has been extended from three in the January 2021 transfer window to six per season moving forwards. The cap on the number of U21 players only seems to apply to Premier League clubs, with EFL clubs presumably being able to recruit as many as they wish."

    https://www.brabners.com/blogs/football-transfers-post-brexit-era
    Your second paragraph deems to say rich clubs can carry on signing top quality overseas players while the only foreigners the rest of us can sign are unproven kids.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •