+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad problems

We ought to be signing players better than we already have, obviously, but there we have a problem in identifying them. The bro's have a business which seems European orientated but we can't sign any foreigners. Burchinall has experience of using them but that was when he was abroad and therefore must have little knowledge of home grown non-league players. The players he has brought in are not gelling at all, apart from once and since then seem to have settled to a non-acceptable level but one they are familiar with.

Any of us watching Notts play or listening to Charlie and Stall are finding the same old, same old Notts devoid of ideas of how keep the ball in the enemy's half. I sometimes take my grandson to games and for the last three years I've seen us defending our half and have lost count of how many times I've told him "All the football's being played in Notts' half again...".

In this dinosaur's opinion we've never replaced Don Masson and never will, but there are quality midfielders out there who know how to control a game but they will cost money and will want to see how serous we are and that we mean business. The same goes for effective strikers, non-league strikers are in non-league for a reason. Bringing in non-league players to play alongside other non-leaguers is not, and never will be, the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I go by the dictionary definition of "used in reference to an activity, cause, etc. that is currently fashionable or popular and attracting increasing support". If I've got it wrong, please enlighten me.

Yes I do know that. If you want to patronise anyone on their understanding of betting odds, I suggest you look elsewhere. We are currently around the 3/1 mark (a 25% chance) to be promoted and on the basis of what I've seen, I don't see that as value.

I don't do "chips all in", "bandwagons", or "still feeling brave". I leave that to the drama queens and just say what I see.
    I must say I do approve of your new approach to quoting my posts, splitting it up. Far better than your old method of cherry picking just one sentence/paragraph to mislead or blatantly misquoting my posts. Another example of the new and improved NCM this season

Of course you haven't got the dictionary definition wrong looks like a copy n paste job to me.

My point being is once again you take it too seriously. The bandwagon created back in March is naturally a bit of fun, premature support of the new man based on interviews only before a ball was kicked. Of course it's more sensible to see what happens and then comment as Notts win, draw or lose games and how they perform. Well done you

It's just a bit of fun old boy, don't take it all too seriously.

I wasn't patronising anyone and I am glad you agree regarding the odds, I was just highlighting to all the fact that statements like yours (and by others) aren't quite as grand as they first appear. It's not a 50:50 flip of the coin scenario far from it as you know.

In very simple terms 2 go up, and 21 don't. Whether you go by that or the bookmakers odds at the start of every season , or the club's history pages it's always the case that Notts are very likely not too go up. Therefore anyone predicting failure is the safe bet and unlikely you will be proven wrong, but you ain't going become rich.

Now what are we going to do about this midfield? And does a change in preferred formation help or hinder our chances of getting the bandwagon back on track#choochoo

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Another example of the new and improved NCM this season
    That may be your opinion, but it's not one I share. For me the board has become a bit tame and dull, with not so many posts to read.

Everyone will have different opinions on what they like and don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    We ought to be signing players better than we already have, obviously, but there we have a problem in identifying them. The bro's have a business which seems European orientated but we can't sign any foreigners. Burchinall has experience of using them but that was when he was abroad and therefore must have little knowledge of home grown non-league players. The players he has brought in are not gelling at all, apart from once and since then seem to have settled to a non-acceptable level but one they are familiar with.

Any of us watching Notts play or listening to Charlie and Stall are finding the same old, same old Notts devoid of ideas of how keep the ball in the enemy's half. I sometimes take my grandson to games and for the last three years I've seen us defending our half and have lost count of how many times I've told him "All the football's being played in Notts' half again...".

In this dinosaur's opinion we've never replaced Don Masson and never will, but there are quality midfielders out there who know how to control a game but they will cost money and will want to see how serous we are and that we mean business. The same goes for effective strikers, non-league strikers are in non-league for a reason. Bringing in non-league players to play alongside other non-leaguers is not, and never will be, the way forward.
    Personally I think we are one player short of being a top of the table contender.Get that ball winning dirty son of a b17ch in the centre of midfield on board and I think the team will go up a gear..!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That may be your opinion, but it's not one I share. For me the board has become a bit tame and dull, with not so many posts to read.

Everyone will have different opinions on what they like and don't like.
    I do enjoy the irony of Laddo continually saying the new, improved board when it was him coming back on posting that made every thread descend into the same thing and posters getting banned. It was quite alright as it was, I didn't see anyone complaining and haven't seen any new posters really. Laddo caused the issue then claims to be the one who saved it, he's a legend in his own mind only 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Personally I think we are one player short of being a top of the table contender.Get that ball winning dirty son of a b17ch in the centre of midfield on board and I think the team will go up a gear..!
    It's something we've lacked for a while. It's an unglamorous role because it's mainly about stopping the opposition playing.

We are still too easy to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I do enjoy the irony of Laddo continually saying the new, improved board when it was him coming back on posting that made every thread descend into the same thing and posters getting banned. It was quite alright as it was, I didn't see anyone complaining and haven't seen any new posters really. Laddo caused the issue then claims to be the one who saved it, he's a legend in his own mind only 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Agree with that. The board pottered along until Ardley was appointed and laddo sprang to prominence, then it went downhill. It's now back to something like it was, but with a few less posts.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Personally I think we are one player short of being a top of the table contender. Get that ball winning dirty son of a b17ch in the centre of midfield on board and I think the team will go up a gear..!
    You could be right, Pedro. The type of player you describe could be the catalyst that energises the rest of the players into acting something like a coherent threat. Not easy to find one that can do that without alienating any that feel cosy the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    You could be right, Pedro. The type of player you describe could be the catalyst that energises the rest of the players into acting something like a coherent threat. Not easy to find one that can do that without alienating any that feel cosy the way things are.
    I don't know if a Ricky Ravenhill type fits in what what the owners and Head Coach are trying to do, but I think we'll struggle until we get a bit more of a physical presence in midfield.

Anyone else think that its time that we see Vincent on the pitch - apparently he was being hailed as a future Ballon’dor winner by some.

Perhaps in a midfield three with Palmer & Francis?

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast