+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad problems

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    That's it, we've lost touch with the automatic promotion position now, no chance of ever getting another goal, never mind a win or a clean sheet. Might as well quit trying to get promoted. Squad is awful, no passion or energy, pissing about playing pretty football when they should gerrit forward. Burchnall out. Baby out. Bath water out too.
    Not your best ever post Swale. Nobody has said any of that, and the criticism of this defeat has been largely rational rather than overboard, which sometimes isn't the case. I admire your optimism, but I can't share it on the basis of what I've witnessed.

The drama queen thing works both ways.

No but I trust the opinions of my fellow NCM members who have.
    Which fellow NCM members? Obviously not me and a few others.

No but I trust the opinions of my fellow NCM members who have.

Doyle out.
    That’s bizzare as you’re now contradicting your original post!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Not your best ever post Swale. Nobody has said any of that, and the criticism of this defeat has been largely rational rather than overboard, which sometimes isn't the case. I admire your optimism, but I can't share it on the basis of what I've witnessed.

The drama queen thing works both ways.
    What do you mean nobody has said any of that? I just have! I'm allowed to be irrational occasionally surely?

I thought it was a great post. Oh well.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 25-09-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    That’s bizzare as you’re now contradicting your original post!
    I think that's quite a common attribute on here, I just wanted to give it t a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Which fellow NCM members? Obviously not me and a few others.
    I trust your judgement on football, betting, onions and many other things Mr. Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Why we are taking goalkicks to a defender in the penalty area is beyond me.
    Do you think Notts invented this tactic or do you think that possibly we're doing it because it's a far more effective way of taking a goal kick than booting it to the half way line and hoping your player wins his header and the second ball drops to a team mate? There's a reason most of the top teams do it, exactly the same as why we (and a lot of top teams) don't leave anyone up front when defending a corner anymore, it's just not effective and with all the analytics and data in football now people have worked that out. Ardley went into detail last season about defending corners but fans in the Pavis seemed to have forgotten again.

Not sure if you're based in the US but if you've watched our goal kicks then the way we set them up we very frequently play it to a Lacey or Cameron and they play it straight up to Wootton on the half way line if the opportunity is there, with only one defender on him and we're immediately on the attack, this is far better than just lumping it and hoping for the second ball.

That's what a lot of this "pointless" passing around at the back is, it's waiting for an opportunity, if it doesn't come then we keep the ball until it does, while we're keeping the ball they aren't threatening us and are tiring themselves by chasing it. A few times this season we've seen players with their hands on their knees, knackered, at HALF TIME, that's probably why we haven't been scoring in the first 30 minutes, it's a patient game and fans need to be patient with it.

I'd say the main problem today, despite Stallard being adamant it had nothing to do with it, was that our ball playing defenders that were missing are key to the way we start attacks and when there are cracks at the back the rest of the teams structure isn't as steady. Alex Lacey is basically our Virgil Van Dijk and look how Liverpool did without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Do you think Notts invented this tactic or do you think that possibly we're doing it because it's a far more effective way of taking a goal kick than booting it to the half way line and hoping your player wins his header and the second ball drops to a team mate? There's a reason most of the top teams do it, exactly the same as why we (and a lot of top teams) don't leave anyone up front when defending a corner anymore, it's just not effective and with all the analytics and data in football now people have worked that out. Ardley went into detail last season about defending corners but fans in the Pavis seemed to have forgotten again.

Not sure if you're based in the US but if you've watched our goal kicks then the way we set them up we very frequently play it to a Lacey or Cameron and they play it straight up to Wootton on the half way line if the opportunity is there, with only one defender on him and we're immediately on the attack, this is far better than just lumping it and hoping for the second ball.

That's what a lot of this "pointless" passing around at the back is, it's waiting for an opportunity, if it doesn't come then we keep the ball until it does, while we're keeping the ball they aren't threatening us and are tiring themselves by chasing it. A few times this season we've seen players with their hands on their knees, knackered, at HALF TIME, that's probably why we haven't been scoring in the first 30 minutes, it's a patient game and fans need to be patient with it.

I'd say the main problem today, despite Stallard being adamant it had nothing to do with it, was that our ball playing defenders that were missing are key to the way we start attacks and when there are cracks at the back the rest of the teams structure isn't as steady. Alex Lacey is basically our Virgil Van Dijk and look how Liverpool did without him.
    Maybe this is what the stats and analysis tells us, but my god it's boring. I'm not at all convinced it is more effective. I preferred Notts under Allardyce, Warnock and Cotterill. If this is the way modern football is going, it's not for me.

Also, Notts aren't a 'top team'. When you ask none league centre backs to pass it around like Van Dijk, it's an accident waiting to happen. I'd rather take my chances in their half than in ours.

Our best chance today came from a fast move down the right with a couple of passes that Ruben put wide though he was stretching for it, needed a lot more of that and keeping Rodrigues up front with Wootton.
    This team looks poorer than the one that finished last season, needed to keep Miller sign a decent midfielder with some steel, not a couple of lightweight rookies, maybe Cameron is that man.
    Come on swivel eyes step up and take off that broken record.

I trust your judgement on football, betting, onions and many other things Mr. Elite.
    You forgot pumpkins, and this year sweet pointed peppers. I really admire your optimism, but I just can't share it where Notts are concerned on the basis of what I've seen so far. I know I shouldn't mention it, but I can't help but notice that a certain poster has gone AWOL, when if we had scored twice in injury time he would be all over the board like a rash.

I suppose express barbecues have to be super express at this time of year, and a new series of Strictly has started. I love Strictly, it means I get an hour of post-match discussion without my wife saying "why are you on that bloody computer?".

Before you warn me, any future 'discussion' about Strictly will be taken to the appropriate place.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast