+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad problems

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Do you think Notts invented this tactic or do you think that possibly we're doing it because it's a far more effective way of taking a goal kick than booting it to the half way line and hoping your player wins his header and the second ball drops to a team mate? There's a reason most of the top teams do it, exactly the same as why we (and a lot of top teams) don't leave anyone up front when defending a corner anymore, it's just not effective and with all the analytics and data in football now people have worked that out. Ardley went into detail last season about defending corners but fans in the Pavis seemed to have forgotten again.

Not sure if you're based in the US but if you've watched our goal kicks then the way we set them up we very frequently play it to a Lacey or Cameron and they play it straight up to Wootton on the half way line if the opportunity is there, with only one defender on him and we're immediately on the attack, this is far better than just lumping it and hoping for the second ball.

That's what a lot of this "pointless" passing around at the back is, it's waiting for an opportunity, if it doesn't come then we keep the ball until it does, while we're keeping the ball they aren't threatening us and are tiring themselves by chasing it. A few times this season we've seen players with their hands on their knees, knackered, at HALF TIME, that's probably why we haven't been scoring in the first 30 minutes, it's a patient game and fans need to be patient with it.

I'd say the main problem today, despite Stallard being adamant it had nothing to do with it, was that our ball playing defenders that were missing are key to the way we start attacks and when there are cracks at the back the rest of the teams structure isn't as steady. Alex Lacey is basically our Virgil Van Dijk and look how Liverpool did without him.
    Agree with this.

But, we need sometimes to be able to move it quicker through their lines, not always just to Wootton.

The problem isn’t the pass from the goalkeeper out to the defence, that’s obviously the right thing to do. The issue is more the next bit, when the defence and midfield continually pass up on a more positive option to play a safe one.

if you've watched our goal kicks then the way we set them up we very frequently play it to a Lacey or Cameron and they play it straight up to Wootton on the half way line.
    I've watched our goal kicks in half the games, and would replace your "very frequently" with "very rarely".

That's what a lot of this "pointless" passing around at the back is, it's waiting for an opportunity, if it doesn't come then we keep the ball until it does, while we're keeping the ball they aren't threatening us and are tiring themselves by chasing it.
    That's the theory and it sounds great, but what when we don't "keep the ball"? What happens when we are pressured into a misplaced pass? In case you've not noticed, I'll tell you. It sometimes leads to a chance for the opposition. My view is that this constant pissing about around our own penalty area creates more chances for the opposition than it does for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    The problem isn’t the pass from the goalkeeper out to the defence, that’s obviously the right thing to do. The issue is more the next bit, when the defence and midfield continually pass up on a more positive option to play a safe one.
    Agreed. I think this is what is most frustrating IB at the moment too. It is what he means by being braver. Take a chance more frequently after the transition.

And that's why I think it doesn't work for us. It worked brilliantly for Barcelona when they were at their peak, because they had defenders, midfielders and attackers with excellent close control, excellent passing ability, and excellent movement. We just don't have anywhere that ability even taking into account our level. Very limited opponents only have to work hard to force us into errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's the theory and it sounds great, but what when we don't "keep the ball"? What happens when we are pressured into a misplaced pass? In case you've not noticed, I'll tell you. It sometimes leads to a chance for the opposition. My view is that this constant pissing about around our own penalty area creates more chances for the opposition than it does for us.
    Agreed, The way we play it across the six yard box it’s like the back 5 playing ‘Pass the Parcel’ with a hand grenade.

And that's why I think it doesn't work for us. It worked brilliantly for Barcelona when they were at their peak, because they had defenders, midfielders and attackers with excellent close control, excellent passing ability, and excellent movement. We just don't have anywhere that ability even taking into account our level. Very limited opponents only have to work hard to force us into errors.
    I mean, it works fine for basically everyone we play. I think it’s only Maidenhead this season who’ve played goal kicks long out of choice, every other opponent has played them short as well unless we’ve pressed high enough that they can’t.

I mean, it works fine for basically everyone we play.
    Not sure on that, because nobody we had played before today managed to beat us! I'm sure you are far more tactically aware than I am, and I get that playing out from your own six yard box is the preferred 'new style'. I still think that ultimately our tippy-tappy approach creates more chances for the opposition than it does for us.

And I find it bloody boring to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    1. DKE. The most overrated player we have had for years. He's just not very good and is not a wing back for love or money.
    2. We don't have a decent wing back at the club. This is problematic when we play with two of them.
    3. Taylor is not as good as Miller was. I can totally see why Chesterfield wanted rid.
    4. Francis may well have potential. But he isn't a natural defensive midfielder and we don't have time to wait for him to turn into one. He's not ready. We needed better (and have done for years.)
    5. We have no physical presence in midfield. How many seasons have we been saying it now?
    6. JOB has conned you all into thinking he is a valuable part of this squad. He does nothing but shout at his team mates. We should have got rid but we inexplicably gave him a two year deal. Mental.
    7. Roberts and Rodders are ridiculously over hyped. Rodders has done nothing since Barnet and Roberts is just a decent Conference player. The Geordie Messi stuff is embarrassing.
    8. Wootton is a good player but never gets any service because our team rarely crosses the ball to him. That being said, we needed a poacher in the Summer and didn't sign one.
    9. Sam is a waste of a squad place. He's useless.
    10. Vincent needs a chance. He has to be better than JOB.
    I do agree with a few of these points and it's time IB find sa way to make this team produce to their maximum ability as passing it across the back for 90%of your possession ain't it. I'm not too concerned yet but this not starting to even play before 30-45 needs sorting out by Woking not in 2 months time as it'll be too late by then. Time the manager and players bucked up and put it out on the pitch. I don't want IB to forget what Ardley got used to as well, thinking we're ok being 5th in this league. Maybe temporarily but top 2 or 3 should be where we are most of the season.

Not sure on that, because nobody we had played before today managed to beat us! I'm sure you are far more tactically aware than I am, and I get that playing out from your own six yard box is the preferred 'new style'. I still think that ultimately our tippy-tappy approach creates more chances for the opposition than it does for us.

And I find it bloody boring to watch!
    In a nutshell!

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast