+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Derby v Reading

Away from the taunting...great win. Pleasant surprise. More evidence of the fighting spirit that’s all too often gone missing in recent years. More of the same against fellow strugglers Swansea please.

Not much in it according to the stats. Possession 46-54. Shots 14-16. On target 5-7. That makes it look like they might have shaded it. Au contraire Amigo. I thpought we had the better of the play and, had we continued with some of our last half hour attacks rather than stopping, making 15 tiki taka passes and then seeing the ball back with Allsopp, we would probably won by more.

My first thoughts which I shared with a fellow Ram via WhatsApp last night were "Still giving wide players too much room. In the middle we gave their very skilful players time and space and that could have killed us. I hate them way we storm upfield and then stop 25 yards out, 15 passes and the ball is back with the keeper. Pleasantly surprised by Allsopp. Deserved win but we make it so difficult for ourselves. A bit like the bishop with the "actress", no vinegar stroke. We need to address that."

Seems like my initial thoughts haven't altered overnight.

Their midfield were very good on the ball, poor off it. You can see, in possession, why they have 16 goals to their credit. The one and two touch passing allied to movement which saw them always have 2 outlets was a joy to watch. Conversely, we made too many less than good passes, gifting them the ball. They also seemed to "be in the right place" whereas we were, too often for my liking, on the wrong side of our man. On this showing, they will continue to leak goals, at least until some of their long term injured return and although they have found the net regularly, we also saw that they can be easy to nullify. Apart from one which brought out a fine finger tip save from Allsopp, their shots on target were one lofted effort that wasn't in the least bit dangerous and the rest were straight at him.

For us, last 30 we had a few chances to put a man through but chose to back off. As we all too well know, 1-0 isn't a scoreline we can defend all that often.

The officials? As the fans sang "we always get 5h1t refs". Last night's were, IMO, no exception. Stearman can't complain about his yellow and didn't. Later in the same half, Knight was brought down from behind when on a charge. Foul given but no card. Little wonder Stearman went to the ref to ask why. It seemed, yet again, that they got away with bad fouls and we were penalised for next to nothing. Some offsides against us looked decidedly dodgy. I lost count of the number of throws they got which should have been ours. Does the one we got that was actually theirs balance that out? Goal kicks that were awarded as corners for them. Some of the "hard man" glances the ref gave to a couple of our players. It's hard to believe that the officials are acting under EFL instructions but it is happening so often, again this season like last, the huge number of Rams fans who now believe there is a vendetta against the club can be excused for thinking that.

Our performances this season have been solid midtable. Good stats at the back. Less so going forward. Start scoring more and we will beat the 12 point penalty and beating any further deductions will be slightly less improbable. Start conceding on a more regular basis and we are shot. It's that fine a line IMO.

This is a more critical summary than usual but I have highlighted the things I saw that need to either change or be improved on. I can't say I'm unhappy, under the circumstances, but if we improve the less satisfactory areas, we will be in a better state to challenge those closest to us.

Bang on report MA, the grit and determination being shown at last is making the whole debacle surrounding the club far more bearable. Long may it continue!
    With regard to the ref situation, I'm having a running 'game' with my cousin who lives just outside Leicester and is a JP. He is an avid Foxes fan and we have our own banter on the fortunes of our respective clubs (obviously I've suffered somewhat in recent years!) The game involves him giving his verdict on the neutrality of our refs when we are on telly because I'm always bemoaning their lack of a father!!!
    He mostly thinks I'm a typical biased fan but this season he has found three refs guilty as charged and last night he tweeted '6 months in the nick, Officer take him down! '
    Makes you wonder!

A Howard-esk header from Forsyth - love it!
    Don't care how they come, just pleased to see us battling. Fully expect relegation, but at least we will have our heads held high if we carry on like this.

Thanks MA. Completely agree with Ranshank’s last couple of sentences too and mac regarding ‘grit and determination’.
    MA...I know there’s plenty of ‘taking the p’ on here but you’re the exception...there’s only one p in Allsop!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Thanks MA. Completely agree with Ranshank’s last couple of sentences too and mac regarding ‘grit and determination’.
    MA...I know there’s plenty of ‘taking the p’ on here but you’re the exception...there’s only one p in Allsop!
    ,,,, as they say in the US of A......... my bad. Ta for correcting me.

So how is the holiday panning out, Pramanag? All good relaxed stuff, or rushing around trying to find the elusive drop of 5 star.

Seems like I have something akin to COVID (but 3 tests say its not COVID) so don't get to close to those nasty British tourists on the flight home.

I was super-nervous about Allsop but very happy that he proved me wrong, good keeping and his distribution, especially his long kicks to the left wing, was streets ahead of Roos. Bird also continues to impress now he’s worked out which goal he should be aiming towards. IMO this is a better team than this time last year, all hail the old-fellah defence!

All good thanks, GP. No shortages of fuel or anything else, although the E10 thing doesn’t seem to have caught on here and seeing as diesel remains significantly cheaper than petrol I suppose that comes as no surprise. Hope you recover from your ‘bug’, whatever it is, quickly.

The ‘old fellah defence’, Andy. Still seems to look younger and more mobile than with Clarke (Mk 2 season.)

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    All good thanks, GP. No shortages of fuel or anything else, although the E10 thing doesn’t seem to have caught on here and seeing as diesel remains significantly cheaper than petrol I suppose that comes as no surprise. Hope you recover from your ‘bug’, whatever it is, quickly.

The ‘old fellah defence’, Andy. Still seems to look younger and more mobile than with Clarke (Mk 2 season.)
    I was never especially impressed with Clarke, glad we didn’t renew. Likewise impressed with Davies Jagielka and Stearman, still getting stuck in when they probably don’t need it financially

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)