+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking Points

Talking Points

There has been a lot to reflect on this week in sport. A boys team is entered in a girl’s netball competition in Queensland and not surprisingly wins the tournament. This is hailed as a great victory for inclusivity in sport and a wonderful opportunity for women’s netball teams to improve their levels. Hogwash Number 1. At Old Trafford Manchester United concede a late goal to Aston Villa as Kortney Hause heads in from a corner and then Bruno Fernandes misses an injury time penalty. OGS blames VAR for the first in not ruling Ollie Watkins was offside and Aston Villa players’ actions in delaying the kick for the penalty miss. VAR is VAR and doesn’t always get things right. Sean Dyche doesn’t have a problem with it. I might suggest that introducing Edinson Cavani as a substitute and asking him to mark Hause (he couldn’t manage it) had much more to do with the goal. As for the penalty it would not have been out of place at Twickenham. Hogwash Number 2. Marcus Alonso decides he is no longer going to take the knee with his Chelsea team mates and comes in for media criticism. We are told repeatedly on TV in advert after advert that this “gesture” is not political but just personal. Just step out of line and see if that is true. Why is Alonso’s personal decision even being questioned? Hogwash Number 3. The lesson here is surely that many sports fans are acutely aware when they are being spoon fed horsesh*t and it really doesn’t matter who is holding the spoon and saying “open wide”.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    There has been a lot to reflect on this week in sport. A boys team is entered in a girl’s netball competition in Queensland and not surprisingly wins the tournament. This is hailed as a great victory for inclusivity in sport and a wonderful opportunity for women’s netball teams to improve their levels. Hogwash Number 1. At Old Trafford Manchester United concede a late goal to Aston Villa as Kortney Hause heads in from a corner and then Bruno Fernandes misses an injury time penalty. OGS blames VAR for the first in not ruling Ollie Watkins was offside and Aston Villa players’ actions in delaying the kick for the penalty miss. VAR is VAR and doesn’t always get things right. Sean Dyche doesn’t have a problem with it. I might suggest that introducing Edinson Cavani as a substitute and asking him to mark Hause (he couldn’t manage it) had much more to do with the goal. As for the penalty it would not have been out of place at Twickenham. Hogwash Number 2. Marcus Alonso decides he is no longer going to take the knee with his Chelsea team mates and comes in for media criticism. We are told repeatedly on TV in advert after advert that this “gesture” is not political but just personal. Just step out of line and see if that is true. Why is Alonso’s personal decision even being questioned? Hogwash Number 3. The lesson here is surely that many sports fans are acutely aware when they are being spoon fed horsesh*t and it really doesn’t matter who is holding the spoon and saying “open wide”.
    Var should be left to just do offside , ( doing away with the toe nail scenario ) but in offsides it s good.
    Clear and obvious imo anyway is just someone else’s personal opinion so it may as well just get left to the referee as we all don’t see incidents the same so leave it with the ref and move on.

Alonso is a different debate altogether I would have been interested to see them interview him if he said he thought they were racist to him - thing is you simply aren’t allowed an opinion if it’s different to sky - BLM unless your a racist bigot of course.

Imo the majority of crowds can clap as much as they like at taking the knee, it doesn’t rid the world of the racists , education for future generations is the way forward ( personally I thought that racism had come along way the last few years ).

I’m not sure that BLM and skys new PR of non tolerance of all forms of prejudice and racism is helping tbh I’ve said many times it’s creating a wedge between colour creed - religion etc.

An example would be a v famous boxer not too long ago posted on media for blacks to boycott shops with white people / owners . ( said afterwards it was someone else’s speech , but why read it ? - he obviously agrees with it or wouldn’t have done it ).

Was he questioned about this like you would have been ?

Did he lose his sponsorship deal ?

Where does that leave us in a world where predominantly- white people are racists ?

Should he - anyone be allowed to post that or even have that opinion.

I know a lot of people at the weekend who were cheering Usyk on , based on the strength of AJ racist opinions.

The cycle starts again when stuff like this happens , Is Alonso not allowed his own opinion ?

Good post is this Mr Outwood and it just goes to show how "Hogwash" and "Wokeism" walk hand in hand.

Alonso made his position clear on the "taking the knee" issue. He said the gesture is diluted and "losing its strength", but he unequivocally stated he abhors racism and prefers to stand and point towards his anti-racism shirt motif.

Regarding the offside and VAR issue, I would love it if Kiwi Wood could avoid a few of these...

Attachment 19997

The whole concept of “racism” has been turned on its head, like so many things these days.

The West is supposed to be based on democracy. Try having an opinion that is not in line with the Woke, liberal bridge!

I lived and worked in the Cayman Islands for many years. You should hear how the coloured Caymanians talk about Jamaicans and Hondurans! The N word is the politest epithet that they use.

It is a very messed up world. Alonso has made his views known. He is not against “anti - racism”. Yet he gets criticised. There are some coloured players who do not “take the knee” as they believe, like Alonso, that it has lost its meaning. I don’t hear them being criticised.

God's a cnut,he could have created everybody the same colour,but in his wisdom he thought it would be a laugh to sit back and watch all the trouble he's created by inflicting different colours.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    God's a cnut,he could have created everybody the same colour,but in his wisdom he thought it would be a laugh to sit back and watch all the trouble he's created by inflicting different colours.

....probably had the belief that the included brains could easily resolve the issue - Alf

The sheer stupidity of taking the knee and the FA meddling in matters that are best left to sociologists is epitomised by our own (should we say) educationally diverse/challenged fans.

On the one hand, a small section of our fans took it upon themselves to boo a black Arsenal and current England international football player every time he touched the ball, but then on the other hand the vast majority of our supporters go into "revere the player" mode every time our latest black player comes within distance of the ball.

Is it because they are black?

We don’t have to go far for the first of this week’s talking points. Is anyone running a book anywhere on who is going to be the first referee since Mike Dean sent off Robbie Brady at Huddersfield in January 2019 to brandish the red card to a Burnley player? If there is and you have got Kevin Friend in that book you must have thought you were certain to collect on Saturday as he booked no less than 5(FIVE) Burnley players while failing to show any card whatsoever to Norwich goalkeeperTim Krull as his mistimed punch nearly decapitated Matej Vydra. Also taking a starring role in the bizarre refereeing stakes was Paul Tierney in the Sunday clash at Anfield who failed to give James Milner a second yellow for a blatant trip on City’s Bernardo Silva. In fact I am rather annoyed that Tierney didn’t send off a few City players just for the sheer hell of it as that would have made our next PL fixture a tad or at the very least a smidge easier.

The knee is right in there again. Don’t we just love it?! The TV companies certainly do and miss no opportunities before every single match to remind us that both teams are taking the knee to warm applause from the whole stadium. This has now become a stick to beat every Eastern European nation with in the media and label them racist for refusing to join in with this noble stand or rather knee. It has now been extended apparently to include the booing of a player. That is a new development but I am afraid not a wholly unexpected one. Soon you will have to look over your shoulder every time you open your mouth to see if the morality police are standing behind you.

The circus that is a Manager’s life at Watford just goes on and on. Tinker Man is now apparently being lined up for the job. I would humbly suggest Rocket Man would be a better choice as that is how the job usually ends.

Jurgen Klopp is now pontificating on vaccines. I only needed to read two sentences to realise he's talking out of his backside, he's another halfwit who seems to think being vaccinated means you can't infect others. Stick to the football Jurgen.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Jurgen Klopp is now pontificating on vaccines. I only needed to read two sentences to realise he's talking out of his backside, he's another halfwit who seems to think being vaccinated means you can't infect others. Stick to the football Jurgen.
    My sentiments exactly mon ami. I was fuming yesterday with his stupid bloody comments about the non-vaccinated being a threat to humanity (or some such drivel).

I had to visit a new client in Stockport this morning and decided to take the train because of the fuel "crisis". I was amazed at just how few people are wearing face nappies.

Northern Rail have a very friendly tannoy message running on a loop asking passengers to "protect each other and their colleagues", no-one was taking a blind bit of notice.

Footnote: The rolling stock in both directions was new(ish), the timescales spot on and I caught two connections in Piccadilly either way without any problem at all. There's hope for us all yet!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)