+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting Policy

I really don't feel like getting involved here, but I would humbly suggest that it's easier for an academy player to graduate into a middle-tier Championship side than any viable Premier League team.

It's not a bespoke sausage factory.

At the risk of stirring up more trouble, does anone know how many of our graduates typically go on to play first team football elsewhere?

I'd heard good things about the Oduor kid, but he's no longer with us?

I guess he's doing well at Barnsley?

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I really don't feel like getting involved here, but I would humbly suggest that it's easier for an academy player to graduate into a middle-tier Championship side than any viable Premier League team.

It's not a bespoke sausage factory.

At the risk of stirring up more trouble, does anone know how many of our graduates typically go on to play first team football elsewhere?

I'd heard good things about the Oduor kid, but he's no longer with us?
    We weren't a "viable Premier League team" until 2019. Shackleton, the latest Academy grad, had his debut in 2018, 3 years after Phillips and whilst we were still in the Championship. The performance of the Academy, during our time as Championship side and into the PL, since Radrizzani became owner and Orta DoF, has been INFERIOR to that during the years of Cellino as owner and the likes of Redfearn, owner and others as manager/coach. How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    We weren't a "viable Premier League team" until 2019. Shackleton, the latest Academy grad, had his debut in 2018, 3 years after Phillips and whilst we were still in the Championship. The performance of the Academy, during our time as Championship side and into the PL, since Radrizzani became owner and Orta DoF, has been INFERIOR to that during the years of Cellino as owner and the likes of Redfearn, owner and others as manager/coach. How is that possible?
    I suspect the legacy of the previous owners underspending on the facilities and letting then get into disrepair - like the swimming pool that couldn’t be swum in - which then had a knock on effect.

I get you dislike intensely Orta I think he has done a decent job and those at the academy have too - no real middle ground for debate so will agree to disagree without insulting you as you did me 😆

Mowatt seems to be doing okay. Think Howson plays but not always first choice at Boro. Cook at Bournemouth but seems to struggle with injuries.

No one in the prem who has left us in the last 10 years - those are all the products of pre Bates.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    I suspect the legacy of the previous owners underspending on the facilities and letting then get into disrepair - like the swimming pool that couldn’t be swum in - which then had a knock on effect.

I get you dislike intensely Orta I think he has done a decent job and those at the academy have too - no real middle ground for debate so will agree to disagree without insulting you as you did me 😆
    I dont "dislike intensely Orta", I just think LUFC would be better off (to the tune of tens of millions) if we had someone who was half way competent at creating and managing a scouting/player development machine, which he has never done at any club he has worked at (why do you think Boro got rid?).

You have your opinion of the man, I have mine. The difference between us is that I provide (repeatedly) examples of his incompetence, you just parrot the same mantra about him "doing a decent job" without any evidence whatsoever (and I mean verifiable facts, not more assertions), to support that assertion.

And I "insulted" you? By describing your post as nonsense? Insofar as you were attempting to answer the question you yourself repeated , regarding does it produce 1st team candidates and are they given opportunity, it was just that, nonsense (particularly the bit about how professional and well run things are now).

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I dont "dislike intensely Orta", I just think LUFC would be better off (to the tune of tens of millions) if we had someone who was half way competent at creating and managing a scouting/player development machine, which he has never done at any club he has worked at (why do you think Boro got rid?).

You have your opinion of the man, I have mine. The difference between us is that I provide (repeatedly) examples of his incompetence, you just parrot the same mantra about him "doing a decent job" without any evidence whatsoever (and I mean verifiable facts, not more assertions), to support that assertion.

And I "insulted" you? By describing your post as nonsense? Insofar as you were attempting to answer the question you yourself repeated , regarding does it produce 1st team candidates and are they given opportunity, it was just that, nonsense (particularly the bit about how professional and well run things are now).
    Orta was responsible for Bielsa and Raphinha (it was his personal relationship with the manager at Rennes).

With more money he has shown what he can bring into the academy when he was on a shoestring to begin with it was inevitable it would be more of a lottery.

Any particular 'role model' PL club for Academy players in first teams or sold here ?

Liverpool Academy players loaned out was 10 in total 2020/21
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quick...ow-they-fared/

Spurs Academy players loaned out was 17 in total 2020/21

Let's not forget the Chelsea system alternative - total Chelsea players loaned out was 37 in 2020/21

Current PL teams now playing former Academy players in first team squad Table.
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/premie...erb/GB1/plus/1

Reading today West Ham lost £150 million plus another £70 million on lost revenues due to Covid.Honestly think we are being managed very well considering.
    Last edited by Monaco_Totty; 29-09-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Any particular 'role model' PL club for Academy players in first teams or sold here ?

Liverpool Academy players loaned out was 10 in total 2020/21

Spurs Academy players loaned out was 17 in total 2020/21

Chelsea Academy players loaned out was 37 in total 2020/21

Current PL teams now playing former Academy players in first team squad Table.
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/premie...erb/GB1/plus/1

Reading today West Ham lost £150 million plus another £70 million on lost revenues due to Covid.Honestly think we are being managed very well considering.
    Liverpool, City and Chelsea must have made a fair amount from Academy players and loaning out.

Their loan models are clever - don’t pay us much if you play the player regularly pay us a fortune if you don’t.

Chelsea have sold the likes of Abraham, zouma and Tomori for big sums and before that Sallah and De Bruyne

Liverpool - Ryan Kent, Harry Wilson and Brewster (and going back Sterling)

Like MB and Radz.... we are better off with Orta that without him.

Nobody's perfect and we'll be worse off when any of the above are no longer with Leeds.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)