+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McDonald Resigns

McDonald Resigns

McDonald resigns over leaderships refusal not to back a £15 minimum wage!

Of course this should be the minimum wage rather the pittance paid now. A good minimum wage would create a huge incentive for those to get off benefits. At the moment why would anyone on benefits work if they won’t be much better off! Why would they!

Large businesses can afford this and can’t see why small businesses can’t either. Cafes, bars etc are closing early or on some days because they can’t get the staff! Don’t they realise that people don’t want to work for peanuts. So it’s going to break the bank paying staff members a little bit more as opposed to not opening and lose a load of revenue? Really! Cafe near us is already paying £15 per hour - getting the staff - getting more business and laughing. Owner says the difference is 3 extra ice creams per hour per staff member FFS.

Another issue without the £15 minimum wage - how are all these people going to pay huge increases in NI - Council Tax - Energy bills rocketing - Food increasing plus everything else increasing!!! Complete joke!

No wonder many EU Nationals who were hard working have all gone home!

Our business too has started to pay the £15 per hour to keep good staff and not have delays impacting on service. To afford this we have increased our prices but have a leaner and meaner model!

Some businesses who shut because they can’t get the staff need to wake up or will go bust!

PS - surprise surprise - it’s the W ankers of big businesses like Amazon - Sports Direct and BetFred owned by Coates the richest woman in the country who treat their staff like
    S hit!! Hate these companies with a passion as it’s sheer greed!
    Last edited by baggieal; 27-09-2021 at 06:55 PM.

No intention of spoiling a good old rant but the Coates family business is at Bet365. Rant on.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    McDonald resigns over leaderships refusal not to back a £15 minimum wage!

Of course this should be the minimum wage rather the pittance paid now. A good minimum wage would create a huge incentive for those to get off benefits. At the moment why would anyone on benefits work if they won’t be much better off! Why would they!

Large businesses can afford this and can’t see why small businesses can’t either. Cafes, bars etc are closing early or on some days because they can’t get the staff! Don’t they realise that people don’t want to work for peanuts. So it’s going to break the bank paying staff members a little bit more as opposed to not opening and lose a load of revenue? Really! Cafe near us is already paying £15 per hour - getting the staff - getting more business and laughing. Owner says the difference is 3 extra ice creams per hour per staff member FFS.

Another issue without the £15 minimum wage - how are all these people going to pay huge increases in NI - Council Tax - Energy bills rocketing - Food increasing plus everything else increasing!!! Complete joke!

No wonder many EU Nationals who were hard working have all gone home!

Our business too has started to pay the £15 per hour to keep good staff and not have delays impacting on service. To afford this we have increased our prices but have a leaner and meaner model!

Some businesses who shut because they can’t get the staff need to wake up or will go bust!

PS - surprise surprise - it’s the W ankers of big businesses like Amazon - Sports Direct and BetFred owned by Coates the richest woman in the country who treat their staff like
    S hit!! Hate these companies with a passion as it’s sheer greed!
    This is all about economics baggieal. Before the pandemic the unemployment rate was 4%, it currently stands at 4.7% and is expected to go up to 5% after furlough ends. I did a quick check and those figures are from ONS for what the rate is now and an article saying what it was pre-pandemic.
    The 4.7% represents about 1.2m out of work (from what I read, sorry too lazy to go back an check as writing off my mobile). Split that 1.2m around the UK, you wonder how much of an impact that is having locally.
    Anyway thinking a loud, that 0.7% difference - is it really worth upping the wage for this minute working force from say £9 an hour to £15 an hour? That’s a 67% rise in wages? Would you really consider a 67% rise in wages? Who would? It’s a huge amount. Business owners rightly so have to return profit this is a big hit if you employ a decent number of staff. i’m more for a local business than those like amazon you mention. If you up the wage in one sector it will only move the issue elsewhere (labour and price elasticity if demand). Anyway just some thought from me.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    This is all about economics baggieal. Before the pandemic the unemployment rate was 4%, it currently stands at 4.7% and is expected to go up to 5% after furlough ends. I did a quick check and those figures are from ONS for what the rate is now and an article saying what it was pre-pandemic.
    The 4.7% represents about 1.2m out of work (from what I read, sorry too lazy to go back an check as writing off my mobile). Split that 1.2m around the UK, you wonder how much of an impact that is having locally.
    Anyway thinking a loud, that 0.7% difference - is it really worth upping the wage for this minute working force from say £9 an hour to £15 an hour? That’s a 67% rise in wages? Would you really consider a 67% rise in wages? Who would? It’s a huge amount. Business owners rightly so have to return profit this is a big hit if you employ a decent number of staff. i’m more for a local business than those like amazon you mention. If you up the wage in one sector it will only move the issue elsewhere (labour and price elasticity if demand). Anyway just some thought from me.

Get your point Regis but as a business owner I would look at the extra paid to staff over a day and then equate that to what I would lose if the business was running at half throttle or like a lot of businesses would close. I can assure you several businesses I know reluctantly are paying this wage to get good staff and take advantage of the huge increase in people not holidaying overseas.

To turn your argument around - lets say I am a poorly paid NHS worker who Boris has begrudgingly given a 1% pay rise. So with huge increases in NI - Council Tax 3% - Energy and cost of living that could be minus a huge percentage. So are we saying the poor should get poorer?

Now on to benefits - it’s a fact many won’t come off benefits as they would be worse off with a pathetic minimum wage. I wouldn’t go to work to be a hero and earn zero if my benefits were X.

Do you get my point! Our business has started to pay £15 an hour and we have good staff. To keep with the minimum wage could mean not fulfilling orders - losing money etc etc so any staff increases becomes pin money! Again it’s not even noticed as cuts have been made in other areas which were nice to haves!

I would also close down every business that pays below the minimum wage ( factories in Leicester etc ) and give huge fines to businesses that keep staff tips!

Al isn't your last point above contradictory to the one made previously about living on benefits being an incentive vs being paid minimum wage - ie those factories in Leicester must be filling positions for those wages, why would those workers bother or are they doing the bare minimum to retain their entitlement to benefits?

Perhaps a fair and equitable approach to the problem could be a cap on percentage profits retained based on turnover, the smallest business would need a higher % to survive whereas the behemoths would not and so their workers would benefit. Those employees working in smaller businesses could then have some kind of top-up benefits funded from the taxpayer thus allowing businesses of all shapes & sizes to attract applicants to positions.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    I refuse to pay minimum wage, I pay quite a bit above even to the lowest and youngest ranked members of my staff.

A few earn way above £15 an hour.

I couldn’t justify £15 an hour for everyone if I’m honest.

I tend to pay summer and Xmas bonuses to my lot as that way I can control things rather than tie a concrete block around me neck.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Al isn't your last point above contradictory to the one made previously about living on benefits being an incentive vs being paid minimum wage - ie those factories in Leicester must be filling positions for those wages, why would those workers bother or are they doing the bare minimum to retain their entitlement to benefits?

Perhaps a fair and equitable approach to the problem could be a cap on percentage profits retained based on turnover, the smallest business would need a higher % to survive whereas the behemoths would not and so their workers would benefit. Those employees working in smaller businesses could then have some kind of top-up benefits funded from the taxpayer thus allowing businesses of all shapes & sizes to attract applicants to positions.

Some factories in Leicester are paying less than the minimum wage with illegals and getting away with it. They should be closed down!

1. Nobody appears to answer the point - should the poor get poorer with huge increases in bills and the cost of living and a pathetic 1% pay increase. So what’s the solution?

2. Depends where you live and demographics in terms of what you pay. Where I live for example many businesses would be forced to pay lets say £15 per hour or have no staff. Without sounding a snob - if you live in a rougher area you could get away with paying much less. It’s a fact of the world. In a more upmarket area your always going to get self selective more academic schools than let’s say in a mixed area where you would get a percentage of disadvantaged kids with rough parents and the standards go down. Same with employment.

Each to their own but no sympathy for businesses who pay the minimum wage and then don’t get the staff. A cafe owner here hit the nail on the head - paying £14 per hour is an extra fiver approx so different between the profit of two ice creams so why would I shut and have zero revenue. You have to put it into perspective.

So in some areas people wouldn’t get out of bed for less than 12/15 per hour but perhaps in some places some people are forced just to eat to work at even less than the minimum wage. Incredible!

So, another hopeless individual resigns from the shadow cabinet. Labour are unelectable, far too many left wing zealots who hopefully, will never get anywhere near government. Starmer is showing himself to be a very poor leader and as for his deputy, the Rayner woman, well, the less said the better. I am no fan of Boris the Buffoon and many of his bumbling crew but the current Labour Party would take incompetence to a new level. If there were to be a general election tomorrow, who the hell to vote for? Lord Buckethead?

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    So, another hopeless individual resigns from the shadow cabinet. Labour are unelectable, far too many left wing zealots who hopefully, will never get anywhere near government. Starmer is showing himself to be a very poor leader and as for his deputy, the Rayner woman, well, the less said the better. I am no fan of Boris the Buffoon and many of his bumbling crew but the current Labour Party would take incompetence to a new level. If there were to be a general election tomorrow, who the hell to vote for? Lord Buckethead?
    Angela Rayner is a really spiteful, nasty little gob s h y t e with absolutely no political nous.

Long may she stay in place as the puppet of the unions until Labour can rid itself of this putrid disease and become a proper and professional outfit again.

I actually wrote a thesis on Harold Wilson when I was 16 at school for an exam, I had a lot of time for him as a man and I’m not a traditional Tory.

I’ve been driven away over the years by the nutters.

I hadn't a clue who McDonald was, in fact all the Labour shadow cabinet are non entities, I doubt i could name even 2. BTW can only women have a cervix? What a shyte leader and party when they can't answer a simple question as that, is it any wonder that they are unelectable especially when so many like me are looking to vote for a party who are credible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)