+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ot work

ot work

When I left school at 15 , I wanted to be an electrician. Joined the pit and they trained me.
    when I wanted to be a telecommunications mechanic, I joined the army. They trained me.
    Same with bus driving etc.
    But now they don't, If a company wants a plumber, they advertise for one.
    All , well a lot of tradesmen are getting on a bit. companies need to invest
    Not covid . not Brexit.

Come be a school bus driver here. Full training given and $40/hour. Only downside is split hours (6-9 and 1-4), having to put up with a bus load of kids and maybe best (worst) of all being hated by all other motorists.

I did the school runs. got worn out beating them up. the little toohats.

Out of Uni I started work at the MOD establishment on Attercliffe. Locally known as “ the Admiralty”

They regularly took on apprentices for the gauge factory and the technical drawing offices. They were well regarded and much sought after jobs.

You used to be able to get an apprenticeship with your local council but now all jobs are tended out to those with the biggest brown envelope.

Loyalty, a big word that stretches both ways. Back in the day it meant hell of a lot, they trained you, so you stayed for a good few years anyway. You look at todays markets and their a lot of people willing to go self employed and it's a big gamble but, good luck to them I say.

Like Crash says, it's far easier to pick up a phone these days, rather than have someone trained in house so to speak.