+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushbike Riders!?

Pushbike Riders!?

Not my favourite species!

A question for anyone who knows the law on this because it really winds me up locally on our narrow country lanes.

At weekends especially, we get a lot of cyclists and that’s absolutely fine but some of them insist on riding parallel in pairs making it impossible to go past them on certain stretches.

I thought you were meant to cycle in single file?

We also get groups of Lycra clad, saddos, many of them of high age riding in a feckin Peleton.......is this allowed?

Kets, I know you’ll know the answer to this.

It really is ignorant and annoying especially when they’re perfectly aware there’s traffic stuck behind their sweaty a r s e s, sometimes a large number of cars.

I agree, same issues around by us, I have seen massive lines of traffic behind sometimes just one cyclist who decides to ride 1/3 or 1/2 of the way into a lane, meaning that passing is not easy
    Some drivers are happy to sit behind them for ages, usually less confident drivers who can’t overtake quickly
    I think years ago it would have really wound me up but these days I have so much more in life to be wound up for, so it’s just a mild irritant

I guess that’s also due to the fact I don’t commute or really get anywhere urgently
    Last edited by BaggieSingh; 28-09-2021 at 06:40 AM.

I doubt it'll be long before those supposedly grown ups on them kiddy scooters will be travelling 4 abreast on roads.

The problem we have is cyclists on the pavement/cycle lanes who ride up behind you and never ring their bells, is it compulsory to have a bell these days?

Scourge of the roads!
    Q:- What’s the difference between Red and Green at a set of traffic lights if you are a cyclist?
    A:- Bugger all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baggies_Boy_Tony View Post
    The problem we have is cyclists on the pavement/cycle lanes who ride up behind you and never ring their bells, is it compulsory to have a bell these days?
    When I was a kid if you rode your bike on the pavement and a copper saw you then you got a proper telling off and even a clip round the ear, these days everyone seems to use the pavement, would love to see stats on pedestrians being hurt!

An absolute nuisance. So many of them don't think that the rules of the road apply to them. They tend to think that they have the right to do anything that they want and that the rest of the traffic has to give way to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Not my favourite species!

A question for anyone who knows the law on this because it really winds me up locally on our narrow country lanes.

At weekends especially, we get a lot of cyclists and that’s absolutely fine but some of them insist on riding parallel in pairs making it impossible to go past them on certain stretches.

I thought you were meant to cycle in single file?

We also get groups of Lycra clad, saddos, many of them of high age riding in a feckin Peleton.......is this allowed?

Kets, I know you’ll know the answer to this.

It really is ignorant and annoying especially when they’re perfectly aware there’s traffic stuck behind their sweaty a r s e s, sometimes a large number of cars.
    There is no requirement of cyclists to ride in single file; guidance (not rule of law) suggests riding no more than two abreast but there is no law forbidding riding more than two abreast. Cyclists have as much right to use the road as any others, motorised vehicles do not have priority. If a cyclist chooses to ride in the middle of the lane, or even close to the centre white line, they are entry do so and there is no requirement to move over and let other vehicles past. There are many points of guidance, probably all of them sensible and many motorists believe such guidance to be legal requirements, they are not. Advice for cyclists is also not to ride close to the kerb or verge, which in any case, is where the road is likely to be crumbling (country lanes especially) and hazardous because of potholes. Some riders choose to ride in the ‘primary’ position, the centre of the lane, if they feel that the road is not wide enough for vehicles to pass with a safe clearance. Riding in the ‘secondary’ position is recommended (to the left of the lane but not in the gutter) but unfortunately many drivers overtake cyclists far too closely; you should wait to overtake a cyclist until it is safe to do so, even if it means slowing down and waiting behind them for a while. I would expect that all cyclists have had bad experiences with inconsiderate drivers and that makes some far more reluctant to move over, for example. Like it or not, cyclists have as much right to the road as anyone else and are not obliged to make way for anyone else. Police are able to take action if a cyclist, or any other road user, is causing an unnecessary hold up or obstruction but that certainly doesn’t mean that cyclists have to get out of drivers way at the first opportunity (or any opportunity, in most cases). Another question, bells, bells are not a legal requirement any more, neither are lights in daytime.

As for Lycra, well, if you are cycling seriously, training for competition or for fitness on a racing cycle, then the Lycra clothing makes a lot of sense; it is what it is designed for and is extremely comfortable when riding hard for some distance. You wouldn’t wear those long baggy half trouser beach things in a swimming pool if you were swimming for speed and fitness training, same on a bike!

Cyclists a pet hate of mind too. First stage of my route to work is quite windy country roads and so it is very difficult to pass them safely as it is, let alone when they ride 2 or 3 abreast and constantly weave in and out across the lane. I understand that it is not a legal requirement for them to ride single file but where is their common courtesy? If a tractor driver noticed that he was causing a build up of traffic behind them, they would find a place to pull over to let them pass but have only encountered one cyclist who has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Cyclists a pet hate of mind too. First stage of my route to work is quite windy country roads and so it is very difficult to pass them safely as it is, let alone when they ride 2 or 3 abreast and constantly weave in and out across the lane. I understand that it is not a legal requirement for them to ride single file but where is their common courtesy? If a tractor driver noticed that he was causing a build up of traffic behind them, they would find a place to pull over to let them pass but have only encountered one cyclist who has done this.
    Where is the common courtesy shown by drivers to cyclists? In very short supply, it cuts both ways. If you are doing, say 60mph on a single carriageway road and you come up behind another car doing 45mph, should that car move off the road to let you through? No, Same as coming up behind a cyclist, wait until it is safe to pass, that means giving adequate clearance and it is a criminal offence not to give that adequate clearance. There are a few narrow lanes that I ride, most of them there is no room to pass and I have had drivers get very impatient with me for not getting out of their way; why should I, if I am doing 20mph or more on a narrow road like that I don’t think it unreasonable that anyone behind has to wait a few minutes until the end of the lane. As for tractors, occasionally one will move over for following vehicles but mostly they don’t. If I am riding up a steep hill and a car behind has no room to pass, tough, I am not going to lose what momentum I have on a steep hill by getting off to make way, only to have to restart on a steep gradient. By the way, I am a car driver too. What do you lose by giving cyclists some room and waiting for a safe place to pass, just a few seconds, what’s the rush?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)