+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toon Heros from the past.

Toon Heros from the past.

And I don't mean the obvious ones like Big Al, K.K., Gazza, or Pedro.

I mean the ones who were not big names, classy footballers, or big on skills.

I'm talking about those who epitomised what the Toon was about at their time.

I know there are many of them out there to choose from but please restrict yourself to one only (favourite) to give others a chance, and give reasons for selection.

My first choice would be Brian "Killer" Kilcline, who was everything K.K. wanted in a defender. Strong, brave, never give up attitude and loyal to the last button on his flies.

He was only here for a couple of years and played just over 30 games but what a contribution he made to both the club and the team. I would put him up to be an honorary Geordie any day of the week.

As a P.S. how about regular visitors on here, from other clubs like DagenhamJohn for example, put up similar favourites from the past from their clubs and join in.

Cacapa, Babayaro, Boumsong and Bramble......can you get anymore heroic than those 4?

I'm too young to remember Kilcline or any players before 1995 so can't really mention any who epitomise the Toon except perhaps Gary Speed who always gave his all

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    Cacapa, Babayaro, Boumsong and Bramble......can you get anymore heroic than those 4?

I'm too young to remember Kilcline or any players before 1995 so can't really mention any who epitomise the Toon except perhaps Gary Speed who always gave his all
    That's a good call Albert except Speedo was one of the tops and a classy player with us and Leeds.

Mitro and Papavasiliou

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    That's a good call Albert except Speedo was one of the tops and a classy player with us and Leeds.
    I was too young to see him play for Leeds. I was at St.James' for his tribute shortly after he died though...was very moving to be there....

I must have been sat just to the right of where this video was taken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFW1xzC-PlY

Brian "Killer" Kilcline tribute from the Guardian. Shows what a modest fellow he was too.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-coventry-city

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Brian "Killer" Kilcline tribute from the Guardian. Shows what a modest fellow he was too.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-coventry-city
    Interesting read......seems like a cool guy

In my time, it would have to be Kevin Nolan.

Never the “best” player out there, but after an initial disappointing six months here - which culminated in relegation for the club - he stepped up as a leader on and off the pitch.

Obviously most of us will remember the goals against Sunderland, but more than that it was like he understood the club and the fans. Gave it his all for 90+ mins. For an Ashley-era player, he really did shine as a leader for us. Also brought out the best in Carroll and Barton.

I was really sad when he left for West Ham, although the club at that time seemed to be moving in a positive direction. Oh the illusion.

Good sum up for Nolan Hughie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)