+ Visit Charlton Athletic FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Charlton 1 Bolton Wanderers F.C. 4

Charlton 1 Bolton Wanderers F.C. 4

Bolton Wanderers had fallen on hard times but clawed their way out of League 2 and are very much back and on the way up under their impressive manager Ian Evatt. Charlton on the other hand are going in the reverse direction under Nigel Adkins so surely now must be the time for him to step down after this 4 - 1 drabbing as there cannot be any way back. Charlton have had similar downward trajectories under managers like Pardew and swift action was then taken but isn't this the lowest position in the football leagues since the 1920s?

So what went is going wrong. Josh Davison took the lead for the Add1cks on 12 minutes but once Bolton equalised it was one way traffic in the 2nd half. Curbs must be fuming at what is happening to this club lately as we all are. The manager decides the tactics, the formation and with the frequent changes of players there is no settled side. So in the end the Manager has to be accountable when things go so badly Adkins really has to go as he doesn't seem to be able to stop the slide towards league 2.

Charlton goal: Davison 12
    Bolton goals: Afolayan 43, Lee 73, 81, Sarcevic 90+2

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/615...on-wanderers-4

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...ton-1-4-bolton

From our (BWFC) perspective the manager brought Baptiste in for the game - who has been a great servant to our club over 2 spells - and it was his sloppy pass that gifted you an early goal. Mistakes at the back and slow starts have been recurring themes for us this season and sometimes we've managed to recover, others not but on Tuesday we woke up just in time and Dapo's goal just before the break was crucial to that IMO - not that it stopped Evatt giving the lads the hairdryer treatment at HT.
    Thought your bright start was excellent and your lads looked up for it from the off. You have some talented players and early doors they looked confident on the ball and there was some good movement.
    But when we started to get back into the game the brightness faded and positioning slipped - and I'm not sure whether or not that's a symptom of your bad run where the players started thinking "here we go again" or plain and simple tiredness. Either way it's up to Adkins to motivate them and/or ensure their fitness levels are at a peak.
    I think Adkins is a clever manager who has had success in the past but something's not right ATM. Generally speaking I'm against changing the manager - we certainly have had more new brooms than a witches convention and every time it's taken us back to square 1 as the new guy changes everything that has been built, often throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    If you guys think that changing the manager is the solution - fine - but I suspect it comes back to finances/ownership and as a club that was less than 48 hours from oblivion we know all about that.
    We had to sell all our senior players and brightest youth prospects and in our last League 1 season we had to put out the U18s for the first 6 weeks - desperate measures but at least we survived by the skin of our teeth.

Whether Adkins is the kind of manager who can thrive with a low budget and bring out the best in the kids to help them step up or not I don't know but when money's tight, that's what you need. Our current side cost nothing in fees - a mixture of freebies, kids coming through and lower league discoveries. It's possible so have faith, support your club and I wish you every success for the rest of the season - apart from your trip to the Unibol obviously

Thanks for that Wanderlust. I think it's down to the Manager Adkins at the moment. I never really thought he was the right one for Charlton whereas Lee Bowyer was and is now doing well at Birmingham. His positivity doesn't work and it needs a no nonsense type to galvanise the players. On the other hand you seem to have found just that in your manager Ian Evatt who is rebuilding your club, your fans must be delighted. Our away game tomorrow against Fleetwood Town will be make or break for Adkins.