+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpie circle podcast YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I really don't get that from him at all, but you're not alone in thinking it.
    Agree, I don’t get that all either. He clearly knows is stuff, so comes across knowledgeable. He’s quite respectful to the opposition, possibly to the point where some Notts supporters would say too respectful.

There does appear to be an anti-IB agenda at times on the Magpie Circle, embodied by Paul Mace’s “need” to apologise to Martin Tyler re IB’s “disrespectful” post-match comments about Woking “going long”. Seemed a very over-the-top reaction and Mace himself could be accused of being disrespectful about IB’s career in Sweden, which he conveniently boiled down to a relegation and bottom-six finish.

What is undeniable, though, is that the pressure is on IB and the players after the last three defeats, which may not be a bad thing. Maybe the four-year contract brings with it a little complacency and sense that as long as the stats are in our favour, the owners will overlook the actual results.

What the owners must recognise, though, is that if they want the club to generate more income, that will only happen by returning to the Football League - and a little more pragmatism will be required to do that. We’ve already thrown away 10 points from winning positions, which is why we’re currently 10th rather than first. That can’t continue if we’re serious about promotion (to use that horrible old F-word slogan that turned out to be highly ironic).

The possibility that Burchnall might have upset Martin Tyler seems to have been the last straw for Paul Mace.

He wasn't very well liked by the Magpie Circle podcast until he started winning games with the best football we had seen in years.

He came in and took a job from Proper-Football-Man Ardley, so not really surprising if a bunch of Proper Football Men don't like him.
    Exactly. I've only listened to one full episode since the disgraceful hatchet job Mace and Curtis did on the new head coach I believe after the Altrincham game of last season.

But it wouldn't surprise me to hear that their opinion completely changed up to the play off semi final defeat.

May have a listen to the Woking comments/apology one.

I'm with driller and KK, I don't get that vibe at all, he comes across as respectful (especially to the opposition) , informative and thoughtful on his interviews and doesn't give short sharp responses which is often the case when managers don't win a game. A breath of fresh air for manager interviews.

I remember Charlie Slater surprisingly giving him a unnecessary hard time after one defeat last season.

Although I know a few on here see him as arrogant, I viewed it as nothing more than confidence and belief in his own system which is a good thing in my eyes.

I really don't get that from him at all, but you're not alone in thinking it.
    Snap! I think he comes across as intelligent and articulate.

It's funny how people are now saying that Burch is smug because it was not that long ago that the consensus of opinion was that he saw the game from a fans eye point of view.
    Personally I would like to see a nasty side to him but maybe that is yet to come.

Generally Burch's post-match interviews have been a big improvement on Ardley's. I did think the "teams like that" remark re Woking was a tad tetchy. Team like that was referring to Woking's direct style, which had just wupped Notts' ass.
    Not much time for Mace though. His podcasts are a hard watch

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    Not watched Magpie Circle, will do later.

Anyway, if Burchnall isn’t well liked or thought of by other NL clubs. I would suggest it’s possibly because he’s followed a different route to his current position and doesn’t conform to the standard NL approach.
    This is my take on it and as such they would see him as a threat because he's not followed the typical path as in having played the game. There are plenty of managers out there more high profile than IB who have not played the game professionally such as Avram Grant, Andre Villas-Boas, Maurizio Sarri, Brendan Rodgers and of course more closer to home Russell Slade.

Likewise I think it's a bit harsh and emotive of some fans when we have lost to use this as a stick to beat him with. He's clearly very knowledgeable and has many, many years of coaching experience behind him. Also in his interviews he's always told it how it is and sees what the fans see.

For what it's worth following the fall out of the past two games I don't think IB should be sacked after a few bad results and will likely be given the season at least. I'm expecting IB, the players and owners to learn, move on from the harsh lesson that we've been given as a club this week and be stronger and better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Generally Burch's post-match interviews have been a big improvement on Ardley's. I did think the "teams like that" remark re Woking was a tad tetchy. Team like that was referring to Woking's direct style, which had just wupped Notts' ass.
    Not much time for Mace though. His podcasts are a hard watch
    Managers are allowed to be tetchy after defeat, the very best in the business can be right mardy arses when they lose. It's no crime. His interviews have been honest and very good to date (bar just one last season) whether we win draw or lose.

Totally agree re Magpie Circle the host makes it tough going to watch a whole episode with his pedestrian delivery. Shame cos I like the guests I've seen input/comments.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Managers are allowed to be tetchy after defeat, the very best in the business can be right mardy arses when they lose. It's no crime. His interviews have been honest and very good to date (bar just one last season) whether we win draw or lose.

Totally agree re Magpie Circle the host makes it tough going to watch a whole episode with his pedestrian delivery. Shame cos I like the guests I've seen input/comments.
    I must admit I tend to skip through his bits using the arrow keys to get to the guests' bits.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast