+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The other Magpies - Great deal or selling out their souls?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Agree but as Notts fans we got past the Lee Hughes issue and then it was an issue. When Forest fans started chanting Murderer in our friendly we forgot when he bagged against them. Personally after reading loads after I came to the conclusion it could happen to a lot of people. Then thinking on again and we don’t know the facts, did he leave that couple, if there was assistance fair enough, still cowardly, if not despicable, but it’s fair to say not many Notts fans were that judgmental?or researched when he banged in the goals and I was one of them.
    I read a lot about the Lee Hughes case, and while you can never condone his actions that night, he served the sentence decided by the law of the land. Whether that sentence was too lenient is a separate discussion, but it was par for the course at the time. Interesting that you mention Forest fans, because one of their all time heroes Peter Shilton was convicted of drink driving twice. Fortunately, the first time he only hit a lamppost instead of another car, so he got lucky. It still wasn’t enough to stop him repeating the offence, but he is still an idol to Forest fans.

Comparing the Toon dilemma with our history is simply inappropriate. The man who is in truth the head of this takeover sanctioned the murder and dismemberment of an innocent journalist. Making Staveley head of the enterprise is a master touch because the Saudis would never appoint one of their own women as the head of such an enterprise. It camouflages the Saudis true disrespect of females.
    When the paths of Hughes and Munto crossed Notts, it was never a challenge to the democratic status of our club. There has surely been involvement at the highest level of UK government to get this disgusting deal over the line.
    Just because the Geordies had a mean and nasty b-a-s-t-a-r-d as their boss doesn't excuse his departure through a mean and nasty deal. Sorry, Alan Shearer - your 'royal' status is no longer respected in my eyes. But that won't bother him anymore than this deal with the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Comparing the Toon dilemma with our history is simply inappropriate. The man who is in truth the head of this takeover sanctioned the murder and dismemberment of an innocent journalist. Making Staveley head of the enterprise is a master touch because the Saudis would never appoint one of their own women as the head of such an enterprise. It camouflages the Saudis true disrespect of females.
    When the paths of Hughes and Munto crossed Notts, it was never a challenge to the democratic status of our club. There has surely been involvement at the highest level of UK government to get this disgusting deal over the line.
    Just because the Geordies had a mean and nasty b-a-s-t-a-r-d as their boss doesn't excuse his departure through a mean and nasty deal. Sorry, Alan Shearer - your 'royal' status is no longer respected in my eyes. But that won't bother him anymore than this deal with the devil.
    Absolutely agree.

At the time of the Munto purchase there was no connection made public with North Korea, with the Newcastle situation it's absolutely clear who is funding this. The Govt have covered it up in the interests of good relationships with SA

'The government says it did not get involved in the deal, which has been criticised by human rights activists.

But the Foreign Office is known to have held meetings with the Premier League to discuss it.

The BBC asked for details of these meetings under Freedom of Information.

The Foreign Office responded with a redacted copy of the agenda for one meeting, which took place on 14 May 2020, and a redacted copy of the minutes of another meeting on 10 June 2020.'

'We didn't get involved' - but there were at least 2 meetings.

When there was the European Super League proposal the Govt took the moral high ground

“Instead, a small handful of owners want to create a closed shop of elite clubs at the top of the game – a league based on wealth and brand recognition rather than upon merit. We will not stand by and watch football be cravenly stripped of the things that make millions across the country love it.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government was "going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this (plan) doesn't go ahead in the way that it's currently being proposed".

But this is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I'd chop your hand off for the same investment in Notts

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I read a lot about the Lee Hughes case, and while you can never condone his actions that night, he served the sentence decided by the law of the land. Whether that sentence was too lenient is a separate discussion, but it was par for the course at the time. Interesting that you mention Forest fans, because one of their all time heroes Peter Shilton was convicted of drink driving twice. Fortunately, the first time he only hit a lamppost instead of another car, so he got lucky. It still wasn’t enough to stop him repeating the offence, but he is still an idol to Forest fans.
    On the occasion of the lamppost lamping he was fleeing the irate husband of his passenger. He claimed the windows were steamed up,just as the injured party was alerted by a cry of, 'Cor,Tina !'

Are there even any Premier League owners you can’t make some kind of huge moral criticism of? Apart from Delia, obviously.

The Saudis take it to another level, but that horse has long bolted.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Are there even any Premier League owners you can’t make some kind of huge moral criticism of? Apart from Delia, obviously.

The Saudis take it to another level, but that horse has long bolted.
    Are any others owned by nations with such appalling records?

As you say, another level ...... a good reason to stop it now

I was pretty much done with the Premier League before this. Can't remember the last time i sat through a full game on the TV or watched MOTD. Same for the Champions League.

But this just confirms it for me. Disgraceful that it has been allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Are any others owned by nations with such appalling records?

As you say, another level ...... a good reason to stop it now
    Manchester City.

Then you get into murkier ones. Leicester aren’t owned by the Thai state, but what is effectively a state-sanctioned monopoly with incredibly close ties to the Thai government. Which is basically a military junta. Similar with Wolves and China. Probably others.

Then there’s sponsorships. Arsenal are taking millions from the Rwandan government, which is accused of all manner of human rights abuses. There’ll be loads of less obvious examples.

None of them are clean. Apart from maybe Delia, anyway.

I don’t think Saudi Arabia should be allowed to get close to owning one of our football clubs, but it’d be rank hypocrisy to turn them down on human rights grounds at this point.

This is another level IMO. I don't think Thailand and UAE are as egregious...
    But I'm with KC anyway, to hell with the lot of them

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast