+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off topic tv uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    We did that with our criminals a couple of hundtred years ago - sent the ****ers to Austrailia if I remember right....
    Any Oz's visiting London should check out the Morpeth Arms, it was built to serve prison warders from the penitentiary (no longer there) nearby ale. They kept the prisoners there before they were loaded onto ships moored nearby on the Thames for their journey down under.

https://londonspubswherehistoryreall.../morpeth-arms/

Utterly fascinating that a country would send prisoners to one of the more beautiful places in the world.

I am old enough to remember when TV and radio were free and the concept of paying for them would have seemed ridiculous.

But then again I also thought it was the height of insanity to bottle water and charge money for it. obviously you can understand that concept when you are in some third world country but in the US or UK????

shows why you should never take investment advice from me.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I am old enough to remember when TV and radio were free and the concept of paying for them would have seemed ridiculous.

But then again I also thought it was the height of insanity to bottle water and charge money for it. obviously you can understand that concept when you are in some third world country but in the US or UK????

I believe the serious crimbos were sent to NZ it was just the common all garden ones that went to Oz.

Maybe that explains NZs domination of rugby

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    I believe the serious crimbos were sent to NZ it was just the common all garden ones that went to Oz.

Maybe that explains NZs domination of rugby
    And the really bad ones were sent to Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post

Don't know what it is like around the world but TV used to be a good 10 min show 3 min ads now it's like 3 min show 5 min ads forcing you to go down the paid route eg Netflix Prime. When mum was alive I had a Greek paid tv service for her and seemed worse 4 min show and looked like 8 min ads.
    Even the most popular sport which made them a lot of money has gone to the paid route. I fear not too far in the near future there won't be a thing called tv it will be all internet
    Even the paid service will change as more and more go their own way the providers will go ad way as it happened with the paid tv eg Foxtel here when it ll started Was a company called Galaxy which you paid but there were no ads whatsoever than another company bought them out in term was swallowed by Mr. Murdoch and we know how it all changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Don't know what it is like around the world but TV used to be a good 10 min show 3 min ads now it's like 3 min show 5 min ads forcing you to go down the paid route eg Netflix Prime. When mum was alive I had a Greek paid tv service for her and seemed worse 4 min show and looked like 8 min ads.
    Even the most popular sport which made them a lot of money has gone to the paid route. I fear not too far in the near future there won't be a thing called tv it will be all internet
    Even the paid service will change as more and more go their own way the providers will go ad way as it happened with the paid tv eg Foxtel here when it ll started Was a company called Galaxy which you paid but there were no ads whatsoever than another company bought them out in term was swallowed by Mr. Murdoch and we know how it all changed.
    Monetising everything seems to be the way of the modern world Oz

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Monetising everything seems to be the way of the modern world Oz
    Not if your a 'time millionaire Hopey [apparently].

Perks of my job are daily 2 hour lunch breaks which is the norm in France & in my case free access to the hotels daily global newspapers to read and learn.

Many folks in my age group are now 'time millionaires' I'm reading in today's world as this recent article is stating.
    Food for thought how time is spent or earned nowadays.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ure-of-leisure

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Not if your a 'time millionaire Hopey [apparently].

Perks of my job are daily 2 hour lunch breaks which is the norm in France & in my case free access to the hotels daily global newspapers to read and learn.

Many folks in my age group are now 'time millionaires' I'm reading in today's world as this recent article is stating.
    Food for thought how time is spent or earned nowadays.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ure-of-leisure
    The trend in the modern world is for fewer and fewer people to own assets or physical things but for those few to make money by granting rights to use those assets.

Look at

streaming services v DVDs/CDs
    Increasing numbers being forced to rent rather than own property
    Most new cars are now bought on a leasing model
    Finds and investment banks buy up fledgling businesses to grow and monetise them.

Not only that but we are increasingly told what we can or cannot think or do. Live increasingly resembles dystopian novels.

You can even watch people on tv watching people on tv.
    And it’s a success.
    What is wrong with people today??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)