+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Larkins.

The Larkins.

I suppose this thread is in a similar vein as the James Bond thread.

ITV's 'The Larkins' is a remake of the 'Darling Buds of May'. Set in rural Kent in the 1950's we now have an Asian Brigadeer, an Asian head teacher, a black shopkeeper, an Asian postman and a black tax inspector who will end up marrying the Larkins' eldest daughter! Who writes this stuff? The first black head teacher was in 1969 and in 2016 there was only one mixed Asian above a certain rank in the armed forces. I realise that it's only a light hearted drama but for goodness let's have a little realism. Actually, the story lines were weak anyway and I, for one, won't be watching any future episodes.

History is being distorted and re written as a lie, it's quite grotesque.

It's not unlike the way Des always ( rightly ) complains about the way the Yanks re write history in war films, if you didn't know the truth you'd think they always saved the day.

I wonder at what point in the future this reverse culture will be torn down by a generation of anti "Wokes".

Nope......I don't think it will either, those of us over 40 are the only one's alive who know the real truth, they'll drag us from our care homes and burn us on a pyre in the next couple of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I suppose this thread is in a similar vein as the James Bond thread.

ITV's 'The Larkins' is a remake of the 'Darling Buds of May'. Set in rural Kent in the 1950's we now have an Asian Brigadeer, an Asian head teacher, a black shopkeeper, an Asian postman and a black tax inspector who will end up marrying the Larkins' eldest daughter! Who writes this stuff? The first black head teacher was in 1969 and in 2016 there was only one mixed Asian above a certain rank in the armed forces. I realise that it's only a light hearted drama but for goodness let's have a little realism. Actually, the story lines were weak anyway and I, for one, won't be watching any future episodes.
    So funny Leicester ,

What is concerning is that youngsters who watched last night's programme will believe that is what life was actually like in the 50's. They will have no idea of how life actually was. It is not just this programme but most of the dramas now on TV are completely inaccurate regarding the eras that they are set in. We are building a generation who will have little or no knowledge of our recent past. That in itself is shocking and we can thank the present day 'wokes' for this disturbing situation. What is so wrong about the truth?

I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of my TV because of this. So called “period dramas” with modern themes. Universal sympathy for alternative lifestyles that were far from acceptable in the past. A black Ann Boleyn. It’s a push to conform. Things “changing” is ok, this is what happens. What “happened” however is etched in history. Can’t be altered. History gives us lessons. Removing history takes away those lessons. The TV has become a dark art.

I’m amazed that people are so pissed off just by having a few brown faces on TV
    Does the colour of a few people skin make you that offended that you wanna stop watching the TV. Surely there’s always some artistic license in any drama or TV programme

In fact there is a massive amount of “artistic license” used when discussing history colonialism decisions made by people who are liked and the colour of people skin generally throughout history.

I hope you all get seriously offended every time there’s any depiction of Jesus and him being some blue-eyed blond haired pale skinned fella from the Middle East, and the rest of his disciples

And Boingy if you want to learn from history then shouldn’t history be taught as it was in our schools?
    Do you feel school children get the truth about colonialism and how people are treated and how anybody that wasn’t white skinned was thought of as inferior almost animal like in the not too distant past, look at what Winston Churchill did during the Second World War causing hundreds of thousands to die of starvation in India. Please feel free to look up some of his quotes of how he felt about Indians

Indians, Africans and others were treated horrifically and their countries had their fortunes stolen and were put in permanent debts so they could always be classed as the third world, but apparently they did get roads, aqueducts etc etc

Do you feel this is represented well enough, in programmes, in history taught in schools?

Not everyone in every other country were living in mud huts, there was wealth and intelligence
    But what we are taught is that colonialism taught these people how to behave, and become civilised
    Due to the fact only Europeans know how to be civilised, even though they were doing the same things just a hundred years ago.

Do you feel all the programs that are depicted in the times of slavery show how brutal it was?

How many shows do you watch where a white person turns up and helps non-white mainly black people to do things and inspires them.
    Really do you feel this happens as often as it is portrayed, or is it a good story for the masses to make them feel better about themselves?

If you think some of this isn’t relevant and should be in the past than one way to solve that is to let everybody play together rather than everybody just pandering to make white people feel better about themselves and their achievements.
    Last edited by BaggieSingh; 12-10-2021 at 08:28 AM.

If a television company produced a period drama where all the historical facts, as far as can be ascertained, are correct I am convinced that they would see the ratings for that programme soar. I, personally, am a great fan of historical dramas but I'm afraid that I am increasingly being put off by the ridiculous and farcical inaccuracies in these programmes, whether they are set fifty years or five hundred years ago. It's not difficult to get most facts correct but it's obviously a deliberate attempt to alter history by this 'woke' generation. What I don't understand though is WHY?

BaggieSingh, I wrote my previous post prior to reading yours. What I would like to say is that I don't have a problem with seeing brown faces on TV, what I do object to are the historical inaccuracies. I agree, programmes should show how badly black people were treated by whites. It's not just racial inaccuracies I object to as it's the same with, for example, police dramas. I often get annoyed with some of the situations that occur in those. Yes, you have to have a little artistic licence but let's try and make the dramas as true to life as possible. Being factually correct does not alter the major plot.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    I’m amazed that people are so pissed off just by having a few brown faces on TV
    Does the colour of a few people skin make you that offended that you wanna stop watching the TV. Surely there’s always some artistic license in any drama or TV programme

In fact there is a massive amount of “artistic license” used when discussing history colonialism decisions made by people who are liked and the colour of people skin generally throughout history.

I hope you all get seriously offended every time there’s any depiction of Jesus and him being some blue-eyed blond haired pale skinned fella from the Middle East, and the rest of his disciples

And Boingy if you want to learn from history then shouldn’t history be taught as it was in our schools?
    Do you feel school children get the truth about colonialism and how people are treated and how anybody that wasn’t white skinned was thought of as inferior almost animal like in the not too distant past, look at what Winston Churchill did during the Second World War causing hundreds of thousands to die of starvation in India. Please feel free to look up some of his quotes of how he felt about Indians

Indians, Africans and others were treated horrifically and their countries had their fortunes stolen and were put in permanent debts so they could always be classed as the third world, but apparently they did get roads, aqueducts etc etc

Do you feel this is represented well enough, in programmes, in history taught in schools?

Not everyone in every other country were living in mud huts, there was wealth and intelligence
    But what we are taught is that colonialism taught these people how to behave, and become civilised
    Due to the fact only Europeans know how to be civilised, even though they were doing the same things just a hundred years ago.

Do you feel all the programs that are depicted in the times of slavery show how brutal it was?

How many shows do you watch where a white person turns up and helps non-white mainly black people to do things and inspires them.
    Really do you feel this happens as often as it is portrayed, or is it a good story for the masses to make them feel better about themselves?

If you think some of this isn’t relevant and should be in the past than one way to solve that is to let everybody play together rather than everybody just pandering to make white people feel better about themselves and their achievements.
    You make some good points there BS!

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    You make some good points there BS!
    I don't disagree with many of the points BS made but it still doesn't alter the historical inaccuracies that appear in so many television historical dramas. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)