+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any point of playing tippy tappy football in tier 5?

Jacob already explained what moneyball is its not always players up the leagues we need to compete for.

There could be players in leagues below us who have great stats it is finding them before others do.

You could argue Roberts is one who worked but possibly Knight wont work ?

Cameron more than likely had good stats at Torquay but he is more likely to have impressed whilst we scouted Torquay and played them.

No method is fool proof everyone signs good and bad players you just need a 60-70% hit ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Jacob already explained what moneyball is its not always players up the leagues we need to compete for.

There could be players in leagues below us who have great stats it is finding them before others do.

You could argue Roberts is one who worked but possibly Knight wont work ?

Cameron more than likely had good stats at Torquay but he is more likely to have impressed whilst we scouted Torquay and played them.

No method is fool proof everyone signs good and bad players you just need a 60-70% hit ratio.
    I'd settle for a 60-70% success ratio as regards players any day of the week, seeing as in the past we've been lucky to hit 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    He said IF.
    Trust me FL he thinks it's tosh (see Moneyball thread)

"So then, all things considered, Moneyball is a load of old tosh"

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I'd settle for a 60-70% success ratio as regards players any day of the week, seeing as in the past we've been lucky to hit 20%.
    Thats true the further down you go the harder it is.

Even Chelsea/City spend £40-60m on players and get it wrong they can write them off but still you can never be sure a transfer will work.

For all the pissing about we do with it, the most noticeable thing about this season so far is how many goals we’re scoring from set pieces. Even more so considering we’re not exactly a massive side. I suppose the tippy tappy lads would say it’s the poncey football that’s creating the set pieces in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    IB wants us to keep the ball, control the game and is coaching the squad to execute this better all the time - to do it with purpose and intelligence.
    I can't stand a long ball game which mean the opposition's coming back at you constantly. If you question the critics of IB's philosophy a bit further, it wouldn't be long before the words ''flick on'' are heard - the single-most useless strategy in football. I've said before, posts about basic playing style are a waste of time while IB's our Head Coach and IMO he's trying to play the right way and there's nothing wrong with it. And the idea that professional footballers in 2021, many coming through Premier and Championship academies, can't play a passing game is ridiculous.

Style is not our problem at all. Bravery, consistency, execution, experience. mental toughness were the question marks in those three defeats and they can apply to any playing style

Final point, players are trying to follow their training and instructions on the pitch - so anybody bawling 'gerritforward' from the Pavis needs to move to the away end
    Agree with this totally
    Watching Notts over the years playing the long ball game has been frustrating to say the least. Sometimes it's been effective other times not but on the whole not great to watch
    I like how IB wants us to play. We still have a lot to learn and shouldn't be afraid to mix it up a bit with the occasional ball over the top
    Mistakes will be made playing this style of football but hopefully lessons will be learnt from these mistakes and the players can grow in confidence playing this way
    On a separate note i thought Brennan, Cameron, Palmer and JOB were outstanding on Saturday. A lot get said about the brilliance of R&R and rightly so but Palmer for me is just class
    2 Assists and looks a different class on the ball.

Hartlepool and Barrow have both gone up playing the style of football we’re playing, it’s not exactly unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    For all the pissing about we do with it, the most noticeable thing about this season so far is how many goals we’re scoring from set pieces. Even more so considering we’re not exactly a massive side. I suppose the tippy tappy lads would say it’s the poncey football that’s creating the set pieces in the first place.
    I don't think we should be getting too focused on this "tippy tappy" label. My problem with most of our play this season and under Ardley is that it felt like there was an electromagnetic force stopping us crossing the halfway line. We need to be playing on the front foot more, probing in the opposition's half and not stuck on the edge of our own penalty area. That requires the players to be braver. We also need to be more switched on when we do get the ball in transitions for quick breaks.

A perfect example of that came with Jack Grealish's goal against Andorra on Saturday, which came from a quick, long throw-out from the goalkeeper (in truth, the kind of goal you normally only see at schools level). Also worth noting that the ultimate tippy-tappy club, Man. City, have a great asset in Edison's kicking, which is used to bypass the high press when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Man. City, have a great asset in Edison's kicking, which is used to bypass the high press when necessary.
    Edison's crew make light work of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Hartlepool and Barrow have both gone up playing the style of football we’re playing, it’s not exactly unheard of.
    Playing the style of football we’re playing, or the style of football we’re trying to play?

I have no knowledge of the Hartlepool and Barrow promotion teams, but in the games I saw against them they had far more steel in midfield than we have. It’s good if you can pass through the opposition, not so good if they can also easily pass through you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast