+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any point of playing tippy tappy football in tier 5?

Is there any point of playing tippy tappy football in tier 5?

I don't think there is. If Moneyball is a load of tosh, why not try and see if we can develop a style that suits players of limited ability and challenge for promotion. Again, I understand I am old, stupid and do not understand modern football, but we are not Chelsea or Man City are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I don't think there is. If Moneyball is a load of tosh, why not try and see if we can develop a style that suits players of limited ability and challenge for promotion. Again, I understand I am old, stupid and do not understand modern football, but we are not Chelsea or Man City are we?
    We need to be able to adapt to various styles depending on who we play.. The key to getting out of the league is be able to adjust to different teams styles of play.. At the moment we seem to be one directional, and not committed to change......

So it's not just me who feels this way.

If we had beaten ten man Torquay and Halifax as we should have, and seen the game out against Woking, we would be joint top. I doubt then, people would be calling our style of play, 'tippy tappy'. Moneyball, is not a style of play, by the way. We could still use the Moneyball ethos and sign young players, who play a more direct style, but as long as they make us successful we can still sell them on for a profit. We just prefer to sign young players who hopefully can play a more passing style of play, which I do believe can be successful at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    If we had beaten ten man Torquay and Halifax as we should have, and seen the game out against Woking, we would be joint top. I doubt then, people would be calling our style of play, 'tippy tappy'. Moneyball, is not a style of play, by the way. We could still use the Moneyball ethos and sign young players, who play a more direct style, but as long as they make us successful we can still sell them on for a profit. We just prefer to sign young players who hopefully can play a more passing style of play, which I do believe can be successful at this level.
    I agree, Moneyball is nothing to do with tippy tappy. My last thread determined that Moneyball is pointless because our lowly position means that we can't compete with superior teams to attract possible Premier/Championship team rejects with potential, we can't attract EU players and there is no data about players in divisions lower than us. Plus, our lowly status makes our academy a waste of time because any good player we may develop is siphoned off to Premier League academies anyway. And nobody apart from Brentford and Swansea, in the Championship, have been able to make Moneyball a reality. This thread is about tippy tappy, and whether this is a practical way forward in League 5 or is it just the owners' ideological bent that is unproven and nothing more than an experiment.

I agree, Moneyball is nothing to do with tippy tappy. My last thread determined that Moneyball is pointless because our lowly position means that we can't compete with superior teams to attract possible Premier/Championship team rejects with potential, we can't attract EU players and there is no data about players in divisions lower than us. Plus, our lowly status makes our academy a waste of time because any good player we may develop is siphoned off to Premier League academies anyway. And nobody apart from Brentford and Swansea, in the Championship, have been able to make Moneyball a reality. This thread is about tippy tappy, and whether this is a practical way forward in League 5 or is it just the owners' ideological bent that is unproven and nothing more than an experiment.
    I never understand the argument that you cant play football in this league or league 2 for that matter.
    If any club from league one or the national league draw Man City in the cup I know who my money is on...

"Money is a load of tosh" how have you come to that conclusion? Have a look at the replies to your 'Moneyball' thread and you will see that's not what people think. It's turned into an informative thread.

Maybe it's an age thing? Maybe a certain demographic is more on board with the concept than others.

He said IF.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I never understand the argument that you cant play football in this league or league 2 for that matter.
    IB wants us to keep the ball, control the game and is coaching the squad to execute this better all the time - to do it with purpose and intelligence.
    I can't stand a long ball game which mean the opposition's coming back at you constantly. If you question the critics of IB's philosophy a bit further, it wouldn't be long before the words ''flick on'' are heard - the single-most useless strategy in football. I've said before, posts about basic playing style are a waste of time while IB's our Head Coach and IMO he's trying to play the right way and there's nothing wrong with it. And the idea that professional footballers in 2021, many coming through Premier and Championship academies, can't play a passing game is ridiculous.

Style is not our problem at all. Bravery, consistency, execution, experience. mental toughness were the question marks in those three defeats and they can apply to any playing style

Final point, players are trying to follow their training and instructions on the pitch - so anybody bawling 'gerritforward' from the Pavis needs to move to the away end

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    IB wants us to keep the ball, control the game and is coaching the squad to execute this better all the time - to do it with purpose and intelligence.
    I can't stand a long ball game which mean the opposition's coming back at you constantly. If you question the critics of IB's philosophy a bit further, it wouldn't be long before the words ''flick on'' are heard - the single-most useless strategy in football. I've said before, posts about basic playing style are a waste of time while IB's our Head Coach and IMO he's trying to play the right way and there's nothing wrong with it. And the idea that professional footballers in 2021, many coming through Premier and Championship academies, can't play a passing game is ridiculous.

Style is not our problem at all. Bravery, consistency, execution, experience. mental toughness were the question marks in those three defeats and they can apply to any playing style

Final point, players are trying to follow their training and instructions on the pitch - so anybody bawling 'gerritforward' from the Pavis needs to move to the away end
    Nothing to disagree with but the comment I would make is that the sort of players we are going after by adopting the style we are trying to implement would perhaps be drastically different to for example the type that Sutton attracted last season. In that they are a perhaps more prone to exhibit a lack of mental toughness, bravey and experience for example. Of course this is where the need for a 'hard as nails' midfielder comes in......

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast