+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of Electric vehicles v Petrol/Diesel vehicles.

You still splitting wood logs Org for your home 'burner' bought home in the Jeep ?

Sure burning wood produces tiny fragments of soot and these can contribute to climate change as well as cause breathing problems.

Yes pollution from wood-stoves can be a concern in areas with limited air movement, such as valleys or densely populated towns and cities.
    But where I live by the sea everybody has a wood burner stove & stack of chopped wood at the house side.

Most folks over here buy 'Kiln drying firewood' which is safe and eco-friendly because it will significantly reduce the amount of smoke produced and ensure that all the harmful particles are burned, alongside mould, bugs, and fungus.
    We've got an electric air-heat pump system backed up with a separate wooded pellet fed boiler system which is really good and is more economical than original electric heating iMum & Dad had in the home.

Mum cooks on big LPG gas cylinders which we bring home but the kitchen still has an old Aga stove in place for her & Gran if required.

Really different to my old flat expensive gas boiler central heating system in UK but chain sawing and carrying logs is worth the effort & keeps us fit as a family.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Thanks and you are strangely right, five years tomorrow since she passed and I still keep finding things of hers, the inside of the car being no exception.
    Not quite as long to have "tolerated" enforced single life, but suspect I'll be much the same as you for the foreseeable. You seem ok, hope tgats true and long may that be so.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not quite as long to have "tolerated" enforced single life, but suspect I'll be much the same as you for the foreseeable. You seem ok, hope tgats true and long may that be so.
    Ups and downs mate, thankfully my daughter and two grandsons live nearby; things would be very different without them; eldest one was born six weeks before the missus died so as you can imagine he is spoiled rotten. Hopefully you have support to keep you going.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Ups and downs mate, thankfully my daughter and two grandsons live nearby; things would be very different without them; eldest one was born six weeks before the missus died so as you can imagine he is spoiled rotten. Hopefully you have support to keep you going.
    Was about to say "lucky man", then realised how f00king stupid that would have been. Glad you have the support, my girls (3, all grown up) are here for me when I need them, and my grandkids too (boy 13 (t e e nage grandson, FFS!!!), and girl 10), of an age where they kind of understood what happened but fortunately a little too young to fully appreciate "events". "Live long and prosper".

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    If the world wants to really change it should use hydrogen as the most carbon friendly and efficient system but that horse has bolted for cars. It is being developed for lorries and trucks.

You should look at the statement from the CEO of Polestar who effectively contended that the carbon cost of batteries and production would never be offset by the reduced Carson footprint when in use (unless the cars run for severs 100,000s of miles which they won’t.
    Wasn't the emerging technology for hydrogen power for vehicles bought up by the oil giants in the late 70s/early 80s to protect their investments in oil exploration and exploitation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek_Sec View Post
    Wasn't the emerging technology for hydrogen power for vehicles bought up by the oil giants in the late 70s/early 80s to protect their investments in oil exploration and exploitation?
    Sounds plausible - UK has the knowledge and development currently but it’s like backing Betamax against the might of VHS

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    You still splitting wood logs Org for your home 'burner' bought home in the Jeep ?

Sure burning wood produces tiny fragments of soot and these can contribute to climate change as well as cause breathing problems.

Yes pollution from wood-stoves can be a concern in areas with limited air movement, such as valleys or densely populated towns and cities.
    But where I live by the sea everybody has a wood burner stove & stack of chopped wood at the house side.

Most folks over here buy 'Kiln drying firewood' which is safe and eco-friendly because it will significantly reduce the amount of smoke produced and ensure that all the harmful particles are burned, alongside mould, bugs, and fungus.
    We've got an electric air-heat pump system backed up with a separate wooded pellet fed boiler system which is really good and is more economical than original electric heating iMum & Dad had in the home.

Mum cooks on big LPG gas cylinders which we bring home but the kitchen still has an old Aga stove in place for her & Gran if required.

Really different to my old flat expensive gas boiler central heating system in UK but chain sawing and carrying logs is worth the effort & keeps us fit as a family.
    Yep!

Still only really burn wood sourced and split on my property. It’s an old house (it predates the USA!) and it seems rude not to use the various fireplaces dotted inside during the winter months (it occasionally gets down to -20C or worse) when you can’t guarantee the electricity supply.

Why do I live here again?

On a serious note. All the best to Calvers and WTF - can’t be easy and never forget.

Never have understood how the German War machine ran the last couple years of the war. They had lost the Romanian oil fields to bombing and geographic loss. Not much oil in Europe and it's not like Tanks, Warships and planes are very fuel efficient. Somehow in a matter of a year or two they were able to produce fuel from coal under less than ideal circumstances to keep their war machine going.

I find it hard to believe that this same ingenuity has not harnessed Hydrogen or even cold fission. The US and Europe have tremendous engineering might that can solve almost any problem. Have to believe it's been done and just squelched by big oil or govenments. Obviously, the chinese and russians can't develop anything but can only steal others work and products so it's going to be up to us to do it.

I'll second that ORG for CB and WTF. Thoughts and prayers for you. She dodged the reaper 4 years ago and very lucky.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)