+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of Electric vehicles v Petrol/Diesel vehicles.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pros & Cons of Electric vehicles v Petrol/Diesel vehicles.

Rising 'Electricity Prices' & Green initiatives in differing continents conundrums.

Not sure if anyone has an electric vehicle but does anybody notice the changes in where they live creeping in.

I use a petrol bike but catch an electric bus or train if it's raining.If I'm late my neighbours will kindly ferry me to work on a marine diesel-powered boat to save me time.Road speed limits have all been vastly reduced where I live on all grades of roads to comply with new greener initiatives up and running throughout France.Heres a few initiatives that folks around the globe might see in their towns in the near future.

Inner Paris road speed limit now set at 30kph/18mph.

The Mairie [Mayor] had wanted to set the périphérique/outer-ring road limit to 50kph/31mph as well but it will stay at 70kph/43mph.When pollution levels get to high they close sections of it regularly.
    Only limited boulevards of the tourist hot-spots around Paris River Seine bank remain at 50kph/31mph for certain times of day now.

By law a Certificate/sticker for every vehicles 'clean-air' category is required to be displayed for many French cities & major Toll road routes now.
    https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...rs-from-June-1

Plenty of car electric-charge points all over France for Electric cars which are now a plenty due to scrapping deals https://www.connexionfrance.com/Prac...ase-to-qualify

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Rising 'Electricity Prices' & Green initiatives in differing continents conundrums.

Not sure if anyone has an electric vehicle but does anybody notice the changes in where they live creeping in.

I use a petrol bike but catch an electric bus or train if it's raining.If I'm late my neighbours will kindly ferry me to work on a marine diesel-powered boat to save me time.Road speed limits have all been vastly reduced where I live on all grades of roads to comply with new greener initiatives up and running throughout France.Heres a few initiatives that folks around the globe might see in their towns in the near future.

Inner Paris road speed limit now set at 30kph/18mph.

The Mairie [Mayor] had wanted to set the périphérique/outer-ring road limit to 50kph/31mph as well but it will stay at 70kph/43mph.When pollution levels get to high they close sections of it regularly.
    Only limited boulevards of the tourist hot-spots around Paris River Seine bank remain at 50kph/31mph for certain times of day now.

By law a Certificate/sticker for every vehicles 'clean-air' category is required to be displayed for many French cities & major Toll road routes now.
    https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...rs-from-June-1

Plenty of car electric-charge points all over France for Electric cars which are now a plenty due to scrapping deals https://www.connexionfrance.com/Prac...ase-to-qualify
    If the world wants to really change it should use hydrogen as the most carbon friendly and efficient system but that horse has bolted for cars. It is being developed for lorries and trucks.

You should look at the statement from the CEO of Polestar who effectively contended that the carbon cost of batteries and production would never be offset by the reduced Carson footprint when in use (unless the cars run for severs 100,000s of miles which they won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    If the world wants to really change it should use hydrogen as the most carbon friendly and efficient system but that horse has bolted for cars. It is being developed for lorries and trucks.

You should look at the statement from the CEO of Polestar who effectively contended that the carbon cost of batteries and production would never be offset by the reduced Carson footprint when in use (unless the cars run for severs 100,000s of miles which they won’t.
    Wasn't the emerging technology for hydrogen power for vehicles bought up by the oil giants in the late 70s/early 80s to protect their investments in oil exploration and exploitation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek_Sec View Post
    Wasn't the emerging technology for hydrogen power for vehicles bought up by the oil giants in the late 70s/early 80s to protect their investments in oil exploration and exploitation?
    Sounds plausible - UK has the knowledge and development currently but it’s like backing Betamax against the might of VHS

I'll second that ORG for CB and WTF. Thoughts and prayers for you. She dodged the reaper 4 years ago and very lucky.

Electric vehicles are fine in an urban area. Not so good in rural areas. My average trip when visiting another of our offices here stateside is 800 miles. These rural areas are where much of the food in the country is grown and processed. The cold reality is that electric does not work well when you factor in distances and weather . Bitter cold or extreme heat are brutal on a battery and shorten the range markedly.

Couple of other matters sometimes overlooked.

-Battery manufacturing along with electric generation is an extremely toxic process. Nuclear is waning (true zero carbon) and wind and solar account for less that 10% of the power generation. Battery Manufacturing is one of the most toxic mfg processes in the world. Of course, it's done in china by slave labor or people making $10 dollars a week so its the old NIMBY protocol.

-Placement of charging stations pretty much determines what the effective radius of the people you are ruling can travel.

Electric does appear to be the future in many areas but it's not all peaches and cream.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Electric vehicles are fine in an urban area. Not so good in rural areas. My average trip when visiting another of our offices here stateside is 800 miles. These rural areas are where much of the food in the country is grown and processed. The cold reality is that electric does not work well when you factor in distances and weather . Bitter cold or extreme heat are brutal on a battery and shorten the range markedly.

Couple of other matters sometimes overlooked.

-Battery manufacturing along with electric generation is an extremely toxic process. Nuclear is waning (true zero carbon) and wind and solar account for less that 10% of the power generation. Battery Manufacturing is one of the most toxic mfg processes in the world. Of course, it's done in china by slave labor or people making $10 dollars a week so its the old NIMBY protocol.

-Placement of charging stations pretty much determines what the effective radius of the people you are ruling can travel.

Electric does appear to be the future in many areas but it's not all peaches and cream.
    Yup cost to make an EV in carbon terms huge and outweighs the reduced emission during the vehicles lifecycle and that is not counting what you do with the millions of batteries once they no longer work!

The only benefit is they don’t emit pollution but then neither do hydrogen vehicles either.

Burning lots of coal and oil in the power stations should definitely make the electricity more plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Burning lots of coal and oil in the power stations should definitely make the electricity more plentiful.
    Nah we will have solar panels on our heads and a plug on our arses no need for coal and oil lol

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Nah we will have solar panels on our heads and a plug on our arses no need for coal and oil lol
    Andy and the Rev. are way in front on that one

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)