+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Some Interesting Facts Emerging About PMG

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Patrick Cryne selling off players before he sold the club.
    Same as what these owners did at Nice - so we can’t really point the finger at the owners of a foreign club when our past owners have done exactly the same.
    As I recall Cryne offered Hourihane the biggest wage ever offered at Barnsley to keep him here but couldn't compete with the £28K a week Villa offered. Hardly compares with Conway ringing other clubs seeking bids

Yes - very much on those lines.
    The January 2017 fire sale will live long in the memory.
    Patrick Cryne selling off players before he sold the club.
    Same as what these owners did at Nice - so we can’t really point the finger at the owners of a foreign club when our past owners have done exactly the same.
    And what a time for Patrick to put EIGHT
    players up for sale.
    We were a point away from the playoffs and the momentum was with us - Very good chance Hecky would have got us promotion that season.
    But looking back - I don’t blame Patrick because he had to recoup some of the money he spent at the club.
    So neither can we blame these owners for what
    happened at Nice.

The 2019 sale is more similar to what I assume has happened at Oostende.
    Although Pinnock and Lindsay wanted to leave.
    I don’t think Kieffer did - and IMO the sale of Kieffer is one of the biggest mistakes the club has made in recent years.
    That sale nearly cost us relegation the season after.
    And could you imagine Kieffer in the Ismael team of last season.
    Exactly the type of striker Ismael likes - and exactly the type of striker we are missing right now.

Also worth mentioning they sold Potts in that season - January 2019.
    This was another big mistake by these owners.
    Selling an important player in January when you are either in a relegation or promotion battle is a bad move.

Just to add - they thought Brown could fill the boots of Potts.’
    In my view - he never did - because Brown isn’t a natural goal scorer.
    IMO Brown is more of a wing back.
    I like Brittain - we picked up another bargin there.
    But Brown is quicker, taller and stronger than Brittain.
    Last season - imagine Kieffer up front and Brown as the right wing back.
    Those 2 could have added that little bit extra what was needed to get us over the line.

PS - great posts Animal - so why add barbs to them?
    The reason for the barbs as you put are born out of frustration debating with yourself when you make statements such as the one in your last post comparing the sale of OGC Nice to Jim Ratcliffe from PMG to the sale of this club by the late Patrick Cryne to PMG .

Nothing could be further from the truth because you consistently fail to acknowledge the facts and instead make lazy assumptions to support your view .

I was no fan of the late Patrick Cryne by any means but this bloke wrote off £5m of loans owed to him by the club .

Gifted the club £2m .

His son James Cryne discounted the repayments due to the club by £2.5m because the club were relegated to league one 6 months after PMG bought the club .

PMG consistently sold OGC Nice's best players and loaded it with a loan which was equivalent to the sum they paid for the club €60m I believe with a 9% interest rate .

They walked away from Nice €30m richer with the club half way down the French league from a position of qualifying for the Champions and Europa League .

Now you might call that good business because they made a ton of money .

Just exactly where do the fans of Nice fit in to this ?

Just exactly where do our fans fit in to it when £750k is siphoned out of the club's cash and in to the pockets of PMG ?

Perhaps we should organise an open top bus parade through the town in celebration of their savvy business skills whilst the team drops in to league one .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The reason for the barbs as you put are born out of frustration debating with yourself when you make statements such as the one in your last post comparing the sale of OGC Nice to Jim Ratcliffe from PMG to the sale of this club by the late Patrick Cryne to PMG .

Nothing could be further from the truth because you consistently fail to acknowledge the facts and instead make lazy assumptions to support your view .

I was no fan of the late Patrick Cryne by any means but this bloke wrote off £5m of loans owed to him by the club .

Gifted the club £2m .

His son James Cryne discounted the repayments due to the club by £2.5m because the club were relegated to league one 6 months after PMG bought the club .

PMG consistently sold OGC Nice's best players and loaded it with a loan which was equivalent to the sum they paid for the club €60m I believe with a 9% interest rate .

They walked away from Nice €30m richer with the club half way down the French league from a position of qualifying for the Champions and Europa League .

Now you might call that good business because they made a ton of money .

Just exactly where do the fans of Nice fit in to this ?

Just exactly where do our fans fit in to it when £750k is siphoned out of the club's cash and in to the pockets of PMG ?

Perhaps we should organise an open top bus parade through the town in celebration of their savvy business skills whilst the team drops in to league one .
    Animal - I post what my understanding is of what I see and hear.
    It’s banter.
    Nothing to get frustrated about.

If you look back at the archives you will see that Hecky said 8 of the 1st Team were up for sale.
    Those are his words not mine.
    Yes - we then heard that Patrick tried to keep Hourihane.
    Which doesn't add up to what Hecky said.
    Not all of the 8 left the club - in fact Scowen and Watkins I believe were allowed to run their contract down.

With regard to Nice - you seem to know more than me.
    Although IMO there is a contradiction within your posts.
    You berate PMG for putting Nice under a mountain of debt.
    And you berate PMG for keeping a tight ship at Barnsley.

PMG didn’t leave Nice in a bad way.
    They sold it to Ratcliffe - who is one of the richest business men in the UK.
    That is to say - PMG built Nice Football Club up to such an height that one of the richest men in the UK wanted it.
    It’s now up to Ratcliffe to keep the club moving forward.

It’s also worth remembering that Patrick carried out due diligence on these owners before selling the club to them.
    Other offers came for the club but he didn’t sell.
    Patrick was a smart fella - he knew what he was doing.

I think the only difference between those that accept PMG and those that don’t - is simply this - it’s the perception of whether the club has progressed under these owners.
    Under the present position in the league I can understand the angst.
    I’m sure if we were 2nd from the top nowt would be said.

BTW - I don’t know the football league rules in France - whether they are the same as the English rules.
    I’ve read the English rules and owners are not allowed to loan their clubs money - hence you hear about owners trying to get around this by doing deals that includes the ground.

Wrong again Nudge.

It was the previous owner Jean Paul Rivere who gradually built a squad at OGC Nice capable of securing a Champions League place. A new ground had been built to house the France 2016 Euros paid for by the French FA and Nice Council.
    Up rocked Conway to claim credit for the Champions League season and the new faciliities. Conway then cashed in, firstly selling players and then had a stroke of luck in Jim Ratcliffe moving to live in Monaco and looking for a local football presence as part of his growing INEOS sports portfolio. Nice was in decline in the league but Ratcliffe was willing to pay over the odds for the club as a vanity project. Conway couldn't say no to the money dangled in front of him. Ratcliffe brought back Rivere and he is gradually building the club back up again from the mess Conway left it in.
    Conway is the proverbial man who farts in a lift and then leaves at the next floor.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 13-10-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Animal - I post what my understanding is of what I see and hear.
    It’s banter.
    Nothing to get frustrated about.

If you look back at the archives you will see that Hecky said 8 of the 1st Team were up for sale.
    Those are his words not mine.
    Yes - we then heard that Patrick tried to keep Hourihane.
    Which doesn't add up to what Hecky said.
    Not all of the 8 left the club - in fact Scowen and Watkins I believe were allowed to run their contract down.

With regard to Nice - you seem to know more than me.
    Although IMO there is a contradiction within your posts.
    You berate PMG for putting Nice under a mountain of debt.
    And you berate PMG for keeping a tight ship at Barnsley.

PMG didn’t leave Nice in a bad way.
    They sold it to Ratcliffe - who is one of the richest business men in the UK.
    That is to say - PMG built Nice Football Club up to such an height that one of the richest men in the UK wanted it.
    It’s now up to Ratcliffe to keep the club moving forward.

It’s also worth remembering that Patrick carried out due diligence on these owners before selling the club to them.
    Other offers came for the club but he didn’t sell.
    Patrick was a smart fella - he knew what he was doing.

I think the only difference between those that accept PMG and those that don’t - is simply this - it’s the perception of whether the club has progressed under these owners.
    Under the present position in the league I can understand the angst.
    I’m sure if we were 2nd from the top nowt would be said.

BTW - I don’t know the football league rules in France - whether they are the same as the English rules.
    I’ve read the English rules and owners are not allowed to loan their clubs money - hence you hear about owners trying to get around this by doing deals that includes the ground.
    Nudge this a complete waste of time debating with you if I'm totally honest .

Your total lack of self awareness and failure to capture the current mood amongst this clubs support is astonishing .

If you simply fail to see the emperor has no clothes just to protect your position of support for this consortium then there's very little else to say so I'm done with it .

You'll get no replies from me as this topic isn't going away anytime soon .

On this topic we are done .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Nudge this a complete waste of time debating with you if I'm totally honest .

Your total lack of self awareness and failure to capture the current mood amongst this clubs support is astonishing .

If you simply fail to see the emperor has no clothes just to protect your position of support for this consortium then there's very little else to say so I'm done with it .

You'll get no replies from me as this topic isn't going away anytime soon .

On this topic we are done .
    OK - we can agree to disagree.
    I think I’ve said all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    They're only interested in money in my view Acido. We haven't got a Leicester type owner here.
    Yes Ive got to say that is my view as well now Arb. Ive tried to think positive things about their ownership in the past, but its obvious to most of us that its all about money and not league status etc.
    I do wonder if they will be bothered about loss of Championship Tv revenue for example, if we go down this or in any season.

They will be bothered Acido.

It's a loss of £6mill pa in income

Nothing will come from Conway's pocket and a fire sale of any players with any quality will commence to make up the loss.

That Nudger knows nowt and only posts the opposite of what everyone else thinks just for a reaction.

Wum.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456