+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russell Slade Suing Football Data Collection Businesses

[Threads merged]

My mistake didn’t realise there was one already going 👍

There will only be one winner here, and it'll be the lawyers! Cash in time!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    There will only be one winner here, and it'll be the lawyers! Cash in time!
    Exactly jackal2. Nothing will change other than a large bill and a nice house purchased with an offshore investment fund for the owner of Norfolk N Chance.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Exactly jackal2. Nothing will change other than a large bill and a nice house purchased with an offshore investment fund for the owner of Norfolk N Chance.
    Slade must be hoping for a chunky slice if they win too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Games are generally covered by the league licensing. It will be included in their playing contract.

As that is then public data, as long as the data collection places reference where they got that data from, I can't see how the players and Slade have a claim
    This is my thinking as well. When you play football even at grassroots level you are performing in a public arena unless it's behind closed doors say at a club academy or in a club's stadium with no fans.

Therefore it is entirely possible for anyone to produce or collect stats who attends a football match or watches a game on TV as others have said.

Anything relating to a player for me is about the player and not the individual and as such is not personal information and is publicly readily available. By that I'm taking about things like shots, goals, assists, completed passes etc.... The fruit is there it just needs picking.

Personal information such as height and weight has been publicly released for players in many sports for decades so would the height of a player no longer be disclosed?

I'd imagine at the heart of it it's whether the performance data collected is sold on to other companies for a profit, to which players might want their cut. But what's to stop clubs saying it's data on our players so we want the cut or part of it as well?

I'm imagining agents will be all over this like a rash.

If it's data publicly available I can't see a problem, as long as the data is fact.

I think that under GDPR data can only be used for the purpose it has been collected for. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123