+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:. Sky News Live from Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

What else do Sheffield claim as their own that's clearly in the boundaries of the Rotherham borough? and before anyone jumps in with, 'Us Rotherhamer's have a Sheffield post code', that doesn't wash with me.
    There's a well known bike shop near Magna called Planet X who claim they are based in Sheffield on their website.
    I phoned them up once because I was thinking of ordering some parts for my bike and asked them why their website says this particularly as their postal address in small print says Rotherham

All they said was that they had a Sheffield postcode.
    I've never bought anything from them and never will
    Last edited by flourbasher; 12-10-2021 at 12:11 PM.

When Akbars first opened on Meadowbank Road its website stated Sheffield. I emailed them pointing out the geographical inaccuracy. I asked how they'd feel if we referred to them as "Akbars of Leeds" (they're proud Bradford).
    I never got a reply (surprise) but I believe the website has changed.

When the coppers battered miners on the orgreave site it was Rotherham. Build some posh houses on it and Sheffield want it.

mmmm.... Tinsley Towers. Strange how these ancient crumbling eyesores of a by gone era were in Rotherham; yet this iconic landmark of our industrial heritage was in Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSquirt View Post
    mmmm.... Tinsley Towers. Strange how these ancient crumbling eyesores of a by gone era were in Rotherham; yet this iconic landmark of our industrial heritage was in Sheffield.
    Nailed it squirty. Nailed it matey. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSquirt View Post
    Tinlsey towers were in sheffield along with blackburn meadows the boundary changed years ago...

Use this to see the Rotherham boundary
    https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/neighbourhoods

Also useful for those who live in the south of Rotherham, i.e. Wales, Kiveton, Anston etc who think they live in Sheffield, albiet some of those areas have a Worksop 01909 dialing code to confuse them further

Cortonwood Shopping Park is in Rotherham, though you can only drive to it along the Dearne Valley parkway which is in Barnsley

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Even the Yanks can't compete with mass production so we've no chance Brin - for the reasons you've outlined. Where we differ from the US is that they'll protect their product via tariffs. We're a more "free market" and "stuff where it comes from" attitude. Very short-sighted. Although I note that we, the taxpayer, have recently bought a controlling interest in Sheffield Forge Masters for "national security" reasons. I think it's something to do with our submarine manufacturing. So I support that.
    I was a Melter on one of the vacuum induction furnishes there (a long time ago) and we used to melt high spec steel for Rolls Royce, the MOD and Aerospace. Think its a good thing we have taken a stake

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I think those that run it need to take a visit to the states to see how things are run professional, then again that would be a free jolly so we'll cancel that idea.
    You mean like this Brin?

https://mohai.org/

I suppose it does help though when Jeff Bezos is one of your benefactors.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    That’s the problem for me, hand out after handout.

If they can’t make it pay then yes get it flattened
    Have you ever heard of Guest & Chrimes ? It’s not that easy to flatten things that don’t pay !

Wentworth Woodhouse? Barnsley or Rotherham?

Agree with earlier post by Grumps by the way. My dad was a steel worker as well and always said all the best quality steel was made in Rotherham in spite of the deedars claiming their steel was best...we all know the best thing about dee dar land is the A630 out of it!
    Last edited by rolymiller; 12-10-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast