+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:. Sky News Live from Rotherham

OT:. Sky News Live from Rotherham

Sky News from 10:00 this morning broadcasting live from our fair town. Their Big Ideas show is broadcast from the Magna Centre.

All good publicity. At last!

But will they say Sheffield

Here's a good idea, flatten the Magna centre. It's an ugly dinosaur of a building and a bottomless money draining pit always wanting hand outs to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I think it's the only thing Sheffielder's disassociate themselves from as their own, and I don't blame them for it. Now start talking boundary Mills which is clearly in Catcliffe and it becomes Sheffield. Funny thing is Morrisons on the same site is and always has been known as being in Catcliffe, work that one out.

Doncaster/Sheffiled airport WTF???? Geographically, Rotherham is closer to the airport than Sheffield but yet they claim bragging rights to have their name put on it. Then again, promoting it as Doncaster airport doesn't sound glamorous so best stick with it.

What else do Sheffield claim as their own that's clearly in the boundaries of the Rotherham borough? and before anyone jumps in with, 'Us Rotherhamer's have a Sheffield post code', that doesn't wash with me.
    Last edited by Brin; 12-10-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Been calling it Rotherham all morning Topsy so they'll do for me. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I think it's the only thing Sheffielder's disassociate themselves from as their own, and I don't blame them for it. Now start talking boundary Mills which is clearly in Catcliffe and it becomes Sheffield. Funny thing is Morrisons on the same site is and always has been known as being in Catcliffe, work that one out.

Doncaster/Sheffiled airport WTF???? Geographically, Rotherham is closer to the airport than Sheffield but yet they claim bragging rights to have their name put on it. Then again, promoting it as Doncaster airport doesn't sound glamorous so best stick with it.

What else do Sheffield claim as their own that's clearly in the boundaries of the Rotherham borough? and before anyone jumps in with, 'Us Rotherhamer's have a Sheffield post code', that doesn't wash with me.
    The "Sheffield" moniker at the airport was added at the behest of the airport's owners and was a nod to international recognition of Sheffield over and above Doncaster. It bugs me too, but people overseas don't give a fig about the name, only the rough geographical location their plane will land. Take a Ryan Air flight to a city you're going on holiday to and chances are you'll land 30 miles away in some weird airport bearing a well known city's name.

I disagree Brin regards the Magna. It helps put Rotherham on the map. It does indeed drain money but so do many places. Take a look at the subsidies paid to famous art ********* and opera houses. Why should our town's attraction be any different? If it was primarily a tourist attraction then I couldn't really justify its subsidies but it is primarily an educational facility and so I have no issues using public money in the pursuit of education. And for once it's in our town and not somewhere else. Embrace it and be proud of your town. 👍😃

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    The "Sheffield" moniker at the airport was added at the behest of the airport's owners and was a nod to international recognition of Sheffield over and above Doncaster. It bugs me too, but people overseas don't give a fig about the name, only the rough geographical location their plane will land. Take a Ryan Air flight to a city you're going on holiday to and chances are you'll land 30 miles away in some weird airport bearing a well known city's name.

I disagree Brin regards the Magna. It helps put Rotherham on the map. It does indeed drain money but so do many places. Take a look at the subsidies paid to famous art ********* and opera houses. Why should our town's attraction be any different? If it was primarily a tourist attraction then I couldn't really justify its subsidies but it is primarily an educational facility and so I have no issues using public money in the pursuit of education. And for once it's in our town and not somewhere else. Embrace it and be proud of your town. ����
    Morning pal. Quick question, when was the last time you actually went inside the facility? I've visited it a few times and every time I go it just looks more run down and worse. The educational screens up on the platforms don't work so how can they educate school kids or anyone visiting it? I think I heard some kind of garbled audio messaging on my last visit and couldn't make it out. The gift shop for any visiting parties is also a joke. I suppose the run down play area outside lessens any kids visiting boredom more than anything.

I think those that run it need to take a visit to the states to see how things are run professional, then again that would be a free jolly so we'll cancel that idea.

As for the subsidies spent on Covent Garden last, £180 Million to revamp it, was absolutely a pure waste of the public purse but we know there will always be a rich/poor divide and those in power totally abuse public spending to sort their own needs.

The Waverley industrial estate with all the new tech businesses etc whenever it’s mentioned in this always in Sheffield I don’t know for sure but I’d say it’s in Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Morning pal. Quick question, when was the last time you actually went inside the facility? I've visited it a few times and every time I go it just looks more run down and worse. The educational screens up on the platforms don't work so how can they educate school kids or anyone visiting it? I think I heard some kind of garbled audio messaging on my last visit and couldn't make it out. The gift shop for any visiting parties is also a joke. I suppose the run down play area outside lessens any kids visiting boredom more than anything.

I think those that run it need to take a visit to the states to see how things are run professional, then again that would be a free jolly so we'll cancel that idea.

As for the subsidies spent on Covent Garden last, £180 Million to revamp it, was absolutely a pure waste of the public purse but we know there will always be a rich/poor divide and those in power totally abuse public spending to sort their own needs.
    Eyup Brinster. About a month ago mate. For some boxing. I don't doubt it needs more tlc. That said it is meant to reflect what it once was - a steel mill. I must declare an interest in that my dad was a steelworker for almost 50 years and anything which nods to our industrial past is good with me. I'm proud of our heritage. I'll tell you pal, if ever the SteelMan gets built over-looking the M1 you can get ready if/when they start referring to that as Sheffield!! 😠

Sheffield has cleverly and craftily got itself the name "steel city" when, in fact, what it was (and rightly should be) famous for was stainless steel. Specifically cutlery.

Rotherham was built on coal, iron and steel. And our steel production was once the envy of the world. But we don't jump up and down shouting like the Dee Dahs so nobody from elsewhere knows. Even now our precision engineering is right up there. Sadly we can no longer mass produce in comparison to the Indians and Chinese due to cost.

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    The Waverley industrial estate with all the new tech businesses etc whenever it’s mentioned in this always in Sheffield I don’t know for sure but I’d say it’s in Rotherham
    Yes that's another one. Rolls Royce quote their business premises as being in Sheffield along with McLaren. The edge of that business park is mighty close to Handsworth though so it my just well be in the Sheffield boundary, but they claim Rotherham's cheaper business rates!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast