+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT:. Sky News Live from Rotherham

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OT:. Sky News Live from Rotherham

Sky News from 10:00 this morning broadcasting live from our fair town. Their Big Ideas show is broadcast from the Magna Centre.

All good publicity. At last!

But will they say Sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I think it's the only thing Sheffielder's disassociate themselves from as their own, and I don't blame them for it. Now start talking boundary Mills which is clearly in Catcliffe and it becomes Sheffield. Funny thing is Morrisons on the same site is and always has been known as being in Catcliffe, work that one out.

Doncaster/Sheffiled airport WTF???? Geographically, Rotherham is closer to the airport than Sheffield but yet they claim bragging rights to have their name put on it. Then again, promoting it as Doncaster airport doesn't sound glamorous so best stick with it.

What else do Sheffield claim as their own that's clearly in the boundaries of the Rotherham borough? and before anyone jumps in with, 'Us Rotherhamer's have a Sheffield post code', that doesn't wash with me.
    Last edited by Brin; 12-10-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

What else do Sheffield claim as their own that's clearly in the boundaries of the Rotherham borough? and before anyone jumps in with, 'Us Rotherhamer's have a Sheffield post code', that doesn't wash with me.
    There's a well known bike shop near Magna called Planet X who claim they are based in Sheffield on their website.
    I phoned them up once because I was thinking of ordering some parts for my bike and asked them why their website says this particularly as their postal address in small print says Rotherham

All they said was that they had a Sheffield postcode.
    I've never bought anything from them and never will
    Last edited by flourbasher; 12-10-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Found this in a Rotherham County programme ,1920/21 Look at the advert for Stubs , small print at the bottom . It seems we were in awe of the Massives even then!!

Name:  s-l1600-1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  96.6 KB

PS I wasn't at the game

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Found this in a Rotherham County programme ,1920/21 Look at the advert for Stubs , small print at the bottom . It seems we were in awe of the Massives even then!!

PS I wasn't at the game
    And not that far away from the NYS and Millmoor

Stubs was called the Warrington Steel Works and eventually became part of J J Habershon works at Holmes when that company expanded, so quite near to the Sheffield boundary if you go the Meadowbank Road way to Sheffield

PS I wasn't at the game
    Wow it’s a long time of being jealous of Rotherham

PS I wasn't at the game
    This is really interesting.

Looks like its referring to when Rotherham County beat South Shields FC 5-4 on 2nd Oct 1920.

How did you come accross such an old programme? Are there many more examples of really old stuff? I'd be curious to know what the oldest programmes or documents from that era are that we know of, fascinating glimpse into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    This is really interesting.

Looks like its referring to when Rotherham County beat South Shields FC 5-4 on 2nd Oct 1920.

How did you come accross such an old programme? Are there many more examples of really old stuff? I'd be curious to know what the oldest programmes or documents from that era are that we know of, fascinating glimpse into the past.
    John2, it’s on eBay with a couple of others from that era . I didn’t know that the well known EJ Brown ( Ironmongers) was also a sport outfitters back in the day

John2, it’s on eBay with a couple of others from that era . I didn’t know that the well known EJ Brown ( Ironmongers) was also a sport outfitters back in the day
    Thanks for this Lincs.

I actually just won the auction for it! Quite chuffed.

Congratulations to whoever bought the 1914 programme. You outbid me in the final 10 seconds, it looks fantastic!

Does anybody know the existence of any older programmes from our predecessor clubs?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast