+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chelsea v Notts 1980

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    What a night that was

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    On ITV 4 at 17.50
    saw the game , thought Benjamin played well in midfield !

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The Cambridge match was filmed for a local news reports, but I don't know if it was BBC or ITV. I've seen a very brief clip of fans running onto the pitch at the end but can't remember where.

The May 1981 Chelsea report would have gone out on the Saturday night ITN news bulletin directly before that night's "Star Soccer", we'd been on the previous week v Watford and on this night they featured West Brom v Sputs. London had the relegation battle between Norwich and Leicester in which Norwich could have stayed up and relegated Brighton had they won but Norwich lost and both they and Leicester went down.
    Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about the Watford game where we would have been promoted if we'd won. Uncharacteristic mistake from Raddy gave them the winner near the end and had my dad swearing at the TV (he hadn't been at the game, unlike me).

Don't think I've ever seen any footage of our 2-0 win at the Temple of Sin in Jan. 1982, when Raddy saved Fat Robbo's penalty and Trevor Christie scored a great header. That game took place during FA Cup weekend, so got less media attention than it should have done (the first top flight Nottingham derby in many, many decades).

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The Cambridge match was filmed for a local news reports, but I don't know if it was BBC or ITV. I've seen a very brief clip of fans running onto the pitch at the end but can't remember where.

The May 1981 Chelsea report would have gone out on the Saturday night ITN news bulletin directly before that night's "Star Soccer", we'd been on the previous week v Watford and on this night they featured West Brom v Sputs. London had the relegation battle between Norwich and Leicester in which Norwich could have stayed up and relegated Brighton had they won but Norwich lost and both they and Leicester went down.
    That few days from winning at Chelsea and then topping it off with the win at home to Cambridge still remain my favourite memories from supporting Notts. The two play off wins under Warnock were great but as a 15 year old those earlier memories were just magical.

The pitch invasion after the Cambridge game was brilliant, we were literally all stood on the edge of the pitch with 15 mins to go and every time the ref blew his whistle we would start to run onto the pitch only to be shepherded back again. Those celebrations carried on into town and Market Square after which I think we all went home on the last bus absolutely drenched from dancing in the fountains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12