+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Analysis: Quarter Season Review with IB

My opinion of IB is the same as Ardley; he should be given 2-3 years to really ingrain his philosophy, unless something drastically bad happens.
    In terms of results and performance so far, there’s very little difference between him and NA. I think IB is braver in making changes to influence a game, but we were more resolute under NA. Under both managers, When we’re good, we’re very good, but when we’re bad, we look laboured, unconfident, and not crisp enough in our passing. We seem to be yo-yo-ing around the same sort of league places as well.
    I think IB is being afforded more patience by our fans because he’s new, and rightly so.
    However I think if our results/performances had been identical, and NA was still the manager, fans would be far more vocal about our recent capitulations and league position.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    My opinion of IB is the same as Ardley; he should be given 2-3 years to really ingrain his philosophy, unless something drastically bad happens.
    In terms of results and performance so far, there’s very little difference between him and NA. I think IB is braver in making changes to influence a game, but we were more resolute under NA. Under both managers, When we’re good, we’re very good, but when we’re bad, we look laboured, unconfident, and not crisp enough in our passing. We seem to be yo-yo-ing around the same sort of league places as well.
    I think IB is being afforded more patience by our fans because he’s new, and rightly so.
    However I think if our results/performances had been identical, and NA was still the manager, fans would be far more vocal about our recent capitulations and league position.
    ^^^^
    Is a good assessment.

Some interesting points. Although, the thought of being in the NL in 3 years is scary.

A big difference between this season and last, is the number of times we scored from distance to salvage something from the game. My memory may not be accurate, but how many times did Enzio or Reeves pull something out the bag with a wonder strike? This season we’ve scored a fair few team goals. Burchnall’s football as more purpose than Ardley’s, although both possession based.

I genuinely believe we will get better under IB. Despite a tough run of games coming up, I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a decent run of results.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    Some interesting points. Although, the thought of being in the NL in 3 years is scary.

A big difference between this season and last, is the number of times we scored from distance to salvage something from the game. My memory may not be accurate, but how many times did Enzio or Reeves pull something out the bag with a wonder strike? This season we’ve scored a fair few team goals. Burchnall’s football as more purpose than Ardley’s, although both possession based.

I genuinely believe we will get better under IB. Despite a tough run of games coming up, I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a decent run of results.
    I agree, I thought under NA we relied on individual brilliance more to win games, but defended better as a unit. Under IB it seems the opposite.
    I really hope we’ll continue to improve and I’m a lover of football played on the ground. However, for all the tactics and build up, games are generally won and lost inside an 18 yard box, and that’s where we’ve got to be so much better, in both, if we’re going to get out of this league!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySeaDog View Post
    I thought this was a nice touch from the club, to give the fans a deeper understanding of what IB is trying to achieve on the pitch.

The questions that came to my mind were whether the players we have at this level would be good enough to implement this approach. But it seems that the team have taken on board large parts of these patterns of play that IB is aiming for. Now the weaknesses, and areas lacking that have been exposed can be worked on more deeply.

Proof is in the pudding though
    For most of these players, IB tactics are a completely different style of football to which they have played their entire footballing life.

For fans to expect them to execute this new way of playing 100% is entirely unfair on the players and the manager and it may even take a few seasons for it to fully work. But to have an identity and a philosophy of play is very encouraging and can only see the Club going in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Its all bull sh*t , We are playing against a bunch Part timers for god sake... Not Barcelona....
    Gerrit forward!

Do you feel better now?

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Stats mean nowt when most of it is in your own bleddy half.
    Apart form the stats say we've had the most entries and touches in the opposition box in the division? Of course you have to make it count but at least be accurate with your criticism

I have to disagree on the performances compared to a NA. IB team is much more entertaining than anything NA produced last season

Some points I don’t understand re some of comments made.

- Player availability aside, we’ve conceded far too many goals. There are references to tippy tippy, playing in our own half. But, how many of the goals we’ve conceded have been due to our style of play?
    - Our goals return is pretty healthy, despite missing a number of opportunities or missing the opportunity to pull the trigger. Does this not suggest our approach is, not 100%, but certainly on the right track and effective?
    - The stand out low points so far, Woking & Halifax. In both games, if we’d have kept possession better and managed the games we could of won each game. Would playing a more direct brand of football changed the results?

My preference is, clearly, the style of football we are trying to play. Ultimately, we all want effective football that provides results. But, is there any reason why we can’t play a passing possession brand of football?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Gerrit forward!

Do you feel better now?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast