+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Analysis: Quarter Season Review with IB

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    I watched the video with interest.
    Notts are 1st in a few categories but 9th in the league so some stats mean nothing. The league table never usually lies over the course of a season.
    I think it does mean something although I agree that league position doesn't lie. I look at it as opportunities missed to put ourselves firmly in the promotion race, mostly but not entirely self-inflicted...

- coming off the high of Barnet, he picked 5 defenders for Torquay. Yes, Taylor was out - but he should have been braver. That game must've been a nightmare to watch. Sounded like we only attacked their 10 in the 2nd half.
    - if he really couldn't, then that's the big squad-building issue - no RWB worth his salt when you've opted to play 3-5-2.
    The failures around this and the need to switch has halted our momentum too
    - bottling leads against Woking & Halifax. I saw one of those and we stopped playing. IB's comments on teams time-wasting against us 'I would do the same' proved fatal. We're a team that has to keep playing.
    - losing Sloco, Rawlo, Kyle and Lacey all at the same time
    - R and R taking their time to get going and hit their stride.

Those stats suggest that we could be a dominant team in this league. I think the formation's fixed and barring another injury crisis to our small squad we could get into the mix for the top spots yet. I think it'll also need IB to be as consistently brave as he asks his players to be.

I think those points I listed include 5pts totally thrown away - the games against 10 men. With those, we'd be sitting in 3rd, 3pts behind the leaders with them to play in 2 weeks' time. The stats would make a lot more sense then

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I think those points I listed include 5pts totally thrown away - the games against 10 men. With those, we'd be sitting in 3rd, 3pts behind the leaders with them to play in 2 weeks' time. The stats would make a lot more sense then
    But we did so we aren't!

The league table reflects your statement and the reality, and to be fair I’m guessing every other team can quote ‘if we hadn’t / if ’ as well so it’s all pointless (excuse the pun). 9th with teams around us with games in hand says it all. Not good enough.

Obviously 9th isn't good enough at the quarter mark of the season that's undebatable IMO. It's 11 games there is no panic.

No point being 1st in those categories if you don't achieve anything from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    But we did so we aren't!
    Yeah, but I think that goes a long way in explaining the difference between the stats and our position...

There's something else the could draw lots of lessons from....we've now played approximately 90 mins of football against 10 men and we're 4-1 down in those minutes! That has to tell you something...

I'd say 1) we're not ready for the battle/intensity when teams rally when going a man down 2) they don't know what to do/how to react...there's not enough experience/leadership, they look for IB/MD for instructions when they should be getting on with it automatically? Both of these things have to improve - intensity and taking responsibility

Yeah, but I think that goes a long way in explaining the difference between the stats and our position...

There's something else the could draw lots of lessons from....we've now played approximately 90 mins of football against 10 men and we're 4-1 down in those minutes! That has to tell you something...

I'd say 1) we're not ready for the battle/intensity when teams rally when going a man down 2) they don't know what to do/how to react...there's not enough experience/leadership, they look for IB/MD for instructions when they should be getting on with it automatically? Both of these things have to improve - intensity and taking responsibility
    I agree with all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    I have to disagree on the performances compared to a NA. IB team is much more entertaining than anything NA produced last season
    I disagree, we had some very good performances under NA, they’re just overshadowed by many inept performances, particularly at the end of his employment. There’s also been many inept performances under IB.
    It’s fundamentally the same tactics. What makes IB slightly more exciting is that he wants to win when the game is level, whereas it felt like sometimes NA didn’t want to lose. Is one necessarily better than the other from a results perspective, when you consider our recent capitulations?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Obviously 9th isn't good enough at the quarter mark of the season that's undebatable IMO. It's 11 games there is no panic.
    Anything less than a top 7 finish this will be a massive failure, which should see IB relieved of his duties, and if we drift some distance from the top 7 , he should also be relieved of his duties

One of the things that has disappointed about the owners, is there very poor choice of managers, first sticking with Ardley for 2 seasons, blowing our best chance of an immediate return to L2, then replacing him with IB who has no experience of this league

Its not rocket science, all they had to do was go for a manager with a track record at this level, instead of this football radar nonsense

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast