+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Lee & Conway selling the club ?

The Consortium still owe money to the Crynes for purchasing the club so that would need to be paid before the club could legally be sold.

I would see The Consortium looking for a clear £20 million profit for Conway to walk away with a cocky walk rolling his shoulders boasting to anybody who was willing to listen that he was a top businessman making a good return for four years at Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The Consortium still owe money to the Crynes for purchasing the club so that would need to be paid before the club could legally be sold.

I would see The Consortium looking for a clear £20 million profit for Conway to walk away with a cocky walk rolling his shoulders boasting to anybody who was willing to listen that he was a top businessman making a good return for four years at Barnsley.
    What Lee and Conway still owe would have to form part of the negotiations .

Parekh and Beane are part of the £2.75m still owed to Oakwell Holdings too and that conversation would have to happen if they want to form part of this new structure and remain credible .

Conway may well look for £20m I wouldn't doubt it but is that really realistic ?

Wouldn't it make sense to take at least a modest profit given the situation ?

Don't get me wrong I'm not exactly thrilled he'd be taking any kind of profit but sometimes in life you have to bite a bullet for the greater good .

If the price of getting rid of Conway and Lee was relegation to league one then I'd be prepared to accept that .

Given the current climate within football , the fact the club isn't exactly on a huge number of wanted lists by prospective buyers the Parekh - Cryne partnership may well be the very best that's likely to come out way .

I understand that the court case whenever that takes place mind is as follows .

Oakwell Holdings ( Cryne Family ) are taking Barnsley Investment Group ( consortium ) to court to recover

The £2.75m still owed .

The £750k used to purchase the club from the club's own funds by Barnsley Investment Group which I understand is contrary to the purchase agreement signed off by both party's in December 2017 .

For the sake of argument let's assume the consortium lose the case and they have to cough up .

Their reputation here is already damaged and the case going against them makes it unrepairable in my opinion .

Under those circumstances the chances of them making any kind of profit what so ever is possibly next to non existent .

Surely you'd go with a modest amount of profit .

Just suppose we leave aside the Cryne/ Conway issue how much would a debt free Championship club with a 12,000 fan base attract on the open market open to all bidders ?

How much is a business worth that turns over 14 mil per year and makes a modest loss?

It’s not worth anymore than they paid for it as we haven’t made any progress. We’re still struggling on the field, face a relegation battle again and we can’t use parts of the away end and west stand.

Key staff have left, the manager has lost the players and the supporters.

Not a happy scenario is it?

Cant we all chip in for a hitman and have done?

Just suppose we leave aside the Cryne/ Conway issue how much would a debt free Championship club with a 12,000 fan base attract on the open market open to all bidders ?
    Too many factors come in to play to give anything like an accurate assessment .

This club comes with what many prospective buyers may see as restrictions with the Oakwell Investment Group owning 50% of the stadium and surrounding land .

What a prospective buyer would look at as a buying point would be the club's potential .

With fair wind and the team challenging in the championship for a play off spot you could be looking at average gates of 16 to 18k based primarily on the away team bringing 2 to 4k and 14k in the home areas .

A successful season and promotion to the PL would see a ST sell out and of course £170m in tv revenue .

The question is how are you going to enable the club to reach its potential ?

Well there's only one answer and that's your initial purchase price of the club including 50% of the stadium and land PLUS the investment to make the team competitive enough in the championship and give it the opportunity to reach the PL .

You can do that two ways , slow and steady as per the Brentford model but still with the requirement to fund the model .

Or go for quick way as per Bournemouth and spend big to reach your target .

The first option you are requiring in my opinion at least £30m including the purchase price .

The second option can be anything you want it to be .

Either way the purchase price is small fry compared to what it requires to reach the potential you identified .

Let's not forget you may not be successful either way and lose the majority of your investment plus have 12k fans wanting to kill you .

That's the football business related to not only this club but much of it in the UK .

I think my points indicate just how flawed the present consortium have gone about things given four years in we are in exactly the same league position we were when they bought the club four years ago plus only three sides of the ground open and 12k fans wanting your head on a platter .

As a business Barnsley is worth its assets plus present or anticipated profits--

Present turnover of £14 million shows income to broadly match expenditure so we are looking at the physical assets, player assets and potential profits

Physical assets, minus Oakwell Stadium and some surrounds owned by Cryne/ Council, my estimate is £5 million, Minus the Cryne 20% and the Parekh 15% this would be £3.25 mill

Player assets, presently valued at £28 mill by Transfermarkt, would of course have to be replaced with Championship level players at, my estimate £20 million, leaving a value of £8 million similarly reduced by 35% to £5.2 million.

Potential profit or loss unknown

Of the £8million purchase price paid for club Patrick Cryne received £5.5 million (mainly repaid loans to club by Cryne) leaving £3.5 million outstanding. A further £750K was paid (allegedly) out of the club's account leaving £2.75 million still outstanding.

Given the above I still believe £20 million to split between Conway and Lee is the least they would accept.

A cud be reyt, a cud be wrong, a lot of variables but what I think is reyt is that Conway will only walk if he has gained significantly financially.

As a business Barnsley is worth its assets plus present or anticipated profits--

Present turnover of £14 million shows income to broadly match expenditure so we are looking at the physical assets, player assets and potential profits

Physical assets, minus Oakwell Stadium and some surrounds owned by Cryne/ Council, my estimate is £5 million, Minus the Cryne 20% and the Parekh 15% this would be £3.25 mill

Player assets, presently valued at £28 mill by Transfermarkt, would of course have to be replaced with Championship level players at, my estimate £20 million, leaving a value of £8 million similarly reduced by 35% to £5.2 million.

Potential profit or loss unknown

Of the £8million purchase price paid for club Patrick Cryne received £5.5 million (mainly repaid loans to club by Cryne) leaving £3.5 million outstanding. A further £750K was paid (allegedly) out of the club's account leaving £2.75 million still outstanding.

Given the above I still believe £20 million to split between Conway and Lee is the least they would accept.

A cud be reyt, a cud be wrong, a lot of variables but what I think is reyt is that Conway will only walk if he has gained significantly financially.
    Well that's a fair and honest appraisal of the figures currently at hand .

What it doesn't take in to account and I can perfectly understand that given the character we know Conway to have .

Whether he likes or not under his and the other members of the consortium tenure the business is actually failing .

It's already in a loss making position with a very serious threat of relegation and with more potential stress on the club's turnover possibly to come .

Fans are already starting to vote with their feet although the club already have their money but they won't have it next season as things stands right now .

The players will also lose value in the market if they aren't deemed good enough to play in the championship .

Even Styles today wouldn't be worth what he was this time last year for example and several other players are a shadow of what they were last season and still didn't attract any offers the summer just gone .

Only Collins seems to have added any value to himself from last season .

Conway and co haven't done anything of note to warrant such a profit , in fact I'd go as far as to say they hardly warrant their money back .

The figure in Conway's head is massively different to reality and any sharp minded prospective buyer would see that all day long .

The question is , is Conway and co smart people who get the feck out of here with a modest profit or do they risk leaving here with a loss making club struggling in the league one .

If they are smart they take the modest sum but if they aren't then there's serious potential for them to lose their initial investment whilst having responsibility to keep the club financially afloat and losing even more money .

Struggling in league one and losing money isn't exactly going to attract a good offer to take the club off their hands , that could be an administrator for instance .

Go now would be my advice before it gets really ugly for everyone .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well that's a fair and honest appraisal of the figures currently at hand .

What it doesn't take in to account and I can perfectly understand that given the character we know Conway to have .

Whether he likes or not under his and the other members of the consortium tenure the business is actually failing .

It's already in a loss making position with a very serious threat of relegation and with more potential stress on the club's turnover possibly to come .

Fans are already starting to vote with their feet although the club already have their money but they won't have it next season as things stands right now .

The players will also lose value in the market if they aren't deemed good enough to play in the championship .

Even Styles today wouldn't be worth what he was this time last year for example and several other players are a shadow of what they were last season and still didn't attract any offers the summer just gone .

Only Collins seems to have added any value to himself from last season .

Conway and co haven't done anything of note to warrant such a profit , in fact I'd go as far as to say they hardly warrant their money back .

The figure in Conway's head is massively different to reality and any sharp minded prospective buyer would see that all day long .

The question is , is Conway and co smart people who get the feck out of here with a modest profit or do they risk leaving here with a loss making club struggling in the league one .

If they are smart they take the modest sum but if they aren't then there's serious potential for them to lose their initial investment whilst having responsibility to keep the club financially afloat and losing even more money .

Struggling in league one and losing money isn't exactly going to attract a good offer to take the club off their hands , that could be an administrator for instance .

Go now would be my advice before it gets really ugly for everyone .
    Tha reyt Animal about the potential profit or loss re relegation being the big unknown.

(Here comes an I told you so )------

In the pre season predictions I said we would finish 18th after flirting with divisional retention and I'm sticking with that. If we evva good run of results not only will it achieve divisional retention but also provide a window for Conway and Lee to leg it with pockets reasonably full.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast