+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Forshaw v Bate or Loanee - Age v Youth or Experience

Forshaw v Bate or Loanee - Age v Youth or Experience

Forshaw v Bate or Loanee - Age v Youth or experience rears it head again.

So if you are good enough you're old enough ?
    Saying that can our team currently fit in a deep-playmaker like Bate.

Let's be honest & sensible Bate looks like a kid weight and height wise.
    As part of England's U20 set up presently there are 4 x 18yr olds and
    15 x 19yr olds and 2 x20yr olds and none of them are current PL regulars.

Reason for that folks.
    Like the others kids physically & mentally he/they are not ready for the next step up.Tough
    bringing kids through nowadays and problematic dilemmas as Bielsa was at pains to
    explain at this weeks presser in detail.

But on the other hand Ross Barcley is a name popping up again for our possible Jan
    shopping list.He's 27,back at Chelsea after a decent season on loan to Villa were he
    formed a decent midfield with Jack Grearlish playing attacking midfield.
    Yes or No or maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

Reason for that folks.
    Like the others kids physically & mentally he/they are not ready for the next step up.Tough
    bringing kids through nowadays and problematic dilemmas as Bielsa was at pains to

But on the other hand Ross Barcley is a name popping up again for our possible Jan
    shopping list.He's 27,back at Chelsea after a decent season on loan to Villa were he
    Yes or No or maybe ?
    Don’t think Bate will be seen as the answer yet - would be unfair to put so much pressure on his shoulders - ideally, he will get experience through cameos when we are playing better.

Forshaw might be the answer but it’s still a big ask to get him playing at the top of his game when he has been out for so long. I think Shackleton is a much better option. Think the midfield v wolves may be Struijk Klich and a Shackleton with Dallas at LB.

Think loan with an option to buy may be the way to go in January if our form hasn’t picked up by then. My fear with that is they will take 6 weeks to be Bielsafied which could mean. We are in deeper trouble.

Just have to hope Ayling, Bamf, Firpo, Koch and Phillips are back ASAP and then stay fully fit.

I think defensively we miss Bamf an awful lot as he runs himself into the ground every game and is not afraid to challenge even where he may get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

Reason for that folks.

Yes or No or maybe ?
    Barcley is all class suffering from the foreigner policy and would have nps. I hear 18 19-year-olds are kids and I laugh. His x teammate isn't doing too badly at Palace. Age has nothing to do with it if you are good enough you play. I don't know if this kid is the real deal as I have hardly seen him but if he's ready play him.
    But this is all talk as we know MB won't even look at him. Ferguson wasn't scared to play kids didn't harm their careers. Liverpool the same J Caragher and I remember a young freckled kid called Wayne Rooney as a 16-year-old running around didn't hurt him either.
    Club nowadays die from wondering instead of having the guts to do what is right.
    The other thing people don't realize is the youngsters showing potential and not being playing develop a mental problem where they start questioning the ability and further improvements they can make and end up in the heaping pile.
    Ready Play should be the message.

Disagree Oz.
    In today's game they need to be really prepared and ready to undertake the hammer on young limbs.Lot more games played with more clubs involved in expanding Euro leagues and more pre-season lucrative global money friendlies to fit in around the ridiculous international team calendars of games with very little rest time in between- Philips a recent example !

First hyped 'super-kid' I can recall at Leeds was Wesley Boyle from Portadown aged just 16 who played alongside Harry Kewell and Jonathan Woodgate for Leeds’ U18s when they won the FA Youth Cup in 1997.Top of my head Ben Parker another young one pushed in early and was in and out via injuries and the list goes on,Sam Byram,Lewis Cook,Charlie Taylor picked up niggling injuries during ages 18/19/20/and early 20's.
    Yes, all players mentioned had careers eventually headed in rather different directions but the few I mention always carried serious hampering injuries.

Squad game now Oz for a reason and I'm with Bielsa regarding physical development,movement techniques,diet and mental health development when it comes to developing young professionals via sophisticated training and man management skills as early 20 year olds on big money don't think like same age groups of years gone by.

I dare not tell you which younger ones at Leeds drive a Maserati Levante 3.0 V6 & Porsche 718 Cayman.

Ferguson does not really get enough credit for how much he managed the pressure on and game time of the 1990s kids he played.

Very few can cope with the pressure and physical demands and those that do often suffer later as MT says - Whiteside being a good example who played regularly at 16 and internationally at 17.

Bielsa operates a hierarchy system too which is partly based on age.

Is it Joffy that drives the Porsche MT?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)