+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artell out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    With respect…always a bad opening. How can you include Gomes after 1 game? And Long same? You may well be correct, but not yet surely.
    I wondered that too.. I didn't go to Fleetwood or Wigan game so can't really comment but I have not seen any reports on Long at all, either way.

Worth a chance though?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I think now that most players are back, Artell should start playing a settled side. He needs to decide what his best team is and stick with it for a few games as we're a quarter of the way through the season and we still don't know what our best team is.
    I would go for:
    Jaskelainen
    Ramsey
    Thomas
    Offord
    Adebisi
    Gomes
    Murphy
    Robertson
    Long
    Mandron
    Bennett

That would be 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 but Long would not be an 'orthodox' winger but would 'tuck in.
    After that anonymous display, Gomes?
    Total rubbish. Met some Doncaster fans in the bar before the game. Their opinion of him was, “he ran around a bit”. Seems about right.

Sleep walking to oblivion I'm afraid and next season won't be any easier, having seen 3 games in the 2nd division recently it's light years in front of what I've witnessed tonight, and Artells comment about playing the right way or "The English way" tells me he's struggling to sort it out.

Can we afford to sack him ? I don't think so, the gate tonight was not good so money will be tight, we are in free fall, the only saving grace tonight is we didn't lose and those above us did, so thankful for small mercies.

Be careful what you wish for. Dave Artell is Crewe through and through and it shows in his passion. We have sold off (or maybe given away for peanuts due to the need for money because of covid) our golden generation of youngsters who grew up together, played together for years and knew each other's game inside out. No doubt Tommy Lowery will be off in January as well but I would play him as he is the most likely to be the creative spark we are badly lacking. Come the end of this season most of the signings we made will be off as well and we will be back to square one. The way it is going and if we do not improve quickly we are likely to go down with a very low points total which will be really disappointing as there was so much optimism last season. When is the next generation going to show up and no doubt the cycle will repeat up and down nothing will change until the strategy changes if it ever will.
    Is that what being a Crewe fan is about acceptance of this? The biggest worry is if we go down how will we fare in league 2 maybe Swindon on Saturday is a barometer of that.
    It just highlights how good the players we have seen go were and how when a team is thrown together how long it takes to gel and get an understanding or is it down to skill levels of the current squad. The loanees I would forget better to play our own youngsters and give them the experience.
    I would stick with Dave for the foreseeable future he is probably the best man for the job. It hurts him as much as us seeing us perform so badly, maybe for now he should jut simplify it as these players cannot play like the ones we have had in recent years passing it around at the back being too slow going forward we are where we are and maybe being a bit more direct is the short term answer.

Great post Reddog ...

It must be really hurting Dave big time - time for the fans to support him (and Kenny) to the hilt ...
    ... and get chanting the theme from the Great Escape at full volume!

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Great post Reddog ...

It must be really hurting Dave big time - time for the fans to support him (and Kenny) to the hilt ...
    ... and get chanting the theme from the Great Escape at full volume!

Hurting him maybe but he is the reason we are where we are poor recruitment, Mickey Mouse formations, players playing out of position Kashkett at Wing Back FFS, chopping and changing week in week out.

Dire performances last night was about as bad as it gets, do you really think Dave can get us out of this, you can meet your optimism by all means and credit to you for that but I have seen this all before and Crewe will never learn, I will keep my reality specs on he has to go before it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Hurting him maybe but he is the reason we are where we are poor recruitment, Mickey Mouse formations, players playing out of position Kashkett at Wing Back FFS, chopping and changing week in week out.

Dire performances last night was about as bad as it gets, do you really think Dave can get us out of this, you can meet your optimism by all means and credit to you for that but I have seen this all before and Crewe will never learn, I will keep my reality specs on he has to go before it is too late.
    I think the calls for him to go are premature. Summer recruitment has not been to the standards we have been used to but the manager was badly let down by 3 maybe 4 players. Players playing out of position isn#t great but in some cases it is forced. We don't have a fit right back at the moment. Offord could have played there last night but then we would have had Daniels at CH and I believe there are many not in favour of that. Kashket at wingback? Well again, not ideal but who would you have there? I would have brought Bennett on 10 minutes earlier and told them to get the ball to him as oft as possible and for him to run at them preferably in the direction of the goal. Looking at the squad I don't think his options are great at the moment. But anyone else coming in has the same options. Dave knows the club and has worked within the principles for 4 years and by and large has been successful. I think we stick and look to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post

Understand 100% where you are coming from, and share your frustration ...
    ... just think that the problems are not all down to Big Dave.

However if a new manager is appointed, it would be nice to get him in post before the end of the year to allow potential new signings in January.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12