+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Up and downs of FA Cup

Up and downs of FA Cup

Although The Baggies don't appear in the FA Cup until January, my home town team of Folkestone Invicta have been playing qualifying rounds since September. We have done well, beating teams from higher leagues en route and yesterday we travelled to Eastleigh who are two leagues above us in the National League. Image my surprise when we went 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes, could another giant killing be on? In the end, our part time players wilted against a team of full time players in the second half and Eastleigh equalised with literally the last kick of the game. To say I was gutted is an understatement, however, we are in the hat for the draw today for the first round proper when all the big boys from Leagues One and Two come in. At this stage you always dream about getting one of the big league clubs to help bolster club funds. We are a little club with very little funds and a good cup run helps enormously to keep clubs like ours going. Ok, we have a replay on Tuesday night to deal with first but we are still in the competition and can still dream of the big one. It just goes to show that although the big Premiership clubs want to devalue the FA Cup, the passion and excitement is still alive and kicking further down the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Although The Baggies don't appear in the FA Cup until January, my home town team of Folkestone Invicta have been playing qualifying rounds since September. We have done well, beating teams from higher leagues en route and yesterday we travelled to Eastleigh who are two leagues above us in the National League. Image my surprise when we went 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes, could another giant killing be on? In the end, our part time players wilted against a team of full time players in the second half and Eastleigh equalised with literally the last kick of the game. To say I was gutted is an understatement, however, we are in the hat for the draw today for the first round proper when all the big boys from Leagues One and Two come in. At this stage you always dream about getting one of the big league clubs to help bolster club funds. We are a little club with very little funds and a good cup run helps enormously to keep clubs like ours going. Ok, we have a replay on Tuesday night to deal with first but we are still in the competition and can still dream of the big one. It just goes to show that although the big Premiership clubs want to devalue the FA Cup, the passion and excitement is still alive and kicking further down the chain.

You are so right! When I went to Harrogate the players really do play for the badge and you feel valued as a supporter. Even at the end the players came around all the stands clapping the players. No greed!

I will be cheering Folkstone with you too as my late mum used to leave nearby.

I totally agree and I'm really saddened that the FA Cup has been devalued in the way it has. Although I've been an Albion fan since a seven year old, living in Herefordshire, I often used to watch Hereford United, as they were then. I still look for Hereford FC's result and was disappointed yesterday when they lost 0-1 to Solihull Moors. The problem is again financial and that is why Premier and Championship sides don't select their strongest teams as the rewards from league football far outweigh even the winning of the FA Cup.

You all know I watch Stourbridge and we have had many cup exploits in the last 13 years including losing 2-1 to a late goal in the 3rd round at Wycombe five years ago.

We’d have played Spurs at White Harte Lane if we’d won and set ourselves up financially for years if we’d had just a bit more luck.

On two occasions Eastleigh dumped us out of the cup when we’d made it through to the main draw, you can’t imagine how gutting it is to go through all them qualifying matches to then draw a nonentity of a non league side.

Eastleigh are a nothing club built on ownership money and not well liked in non league circles do I hope you beat them in the replay.

Horrible little club playing horrible football and absolutely no fan atmosphere when we played them but very physical and hard to beat.

Even if we do manage to turn over Eastleigh we have been given a poor draw in 1st round proper being away to Boreham Wood. Although they are second in the National League, their average home attendance this season is less than ours so no big pay day coming from that game.

Unfortunately, we went out tonight after losing 3-2 after extra time. However our little team gave the National League team the fright of their lives again tonight. We went 2-0 down halfway through the second half and then had a player harshly sent off. Still, with only 10 men we clawed our way back into the game with two goals to take us to extra time. The fitness and playing with ten men eventually told when they scored the winner in the second period of extra time. Absolutely thrilled about the cup run and look forward to maintaining our push for promotion now.

I watched the scoring with interest last night Tip......a very good effort by your boys.

Best of luck with promotion.

Thanks Mick, it was certainly a night to remember. There was a massive crowd and it took me nearly half an hour to get into the ground. The general consensus was that there over 2000 in the ground which is massive for us. The official gate was 1267 which was either down to Diane Abbott doing the counting or a bit of creative accounting considering that the gate receipts are shared!

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Thanks Mick, it was certainly a night to remember. There was a massive crowd and it took me nearly half an hour to get into the ground. The general consensus was that there over 2000 in the ground which is massive for us. The official gate was 1267 which was either down to Diane Abbott doing the counting or a bit of creative accounting considering that the gate receipts are shared!
    In the sixties at The Hawthorns you could be shoulder to shoulder some games and they would announce the attendance as something like 17,000 and the crowd would laugh at the ridiculousness of that figure. Then the next time you went there could be an announcement of 50,000 as when we played Man Utd in 1968.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)