+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this style really suit us?

I said to my mate who is a Leeds U fan that they would finish in the bottom 6 this season because their players aren’t that good and that the other PL teams will have worked out how to play them. He laughed it off at the time but is getting worried now.

They haven’t attracted better class players since they came up and their press isn’t half as effective as it was. Like us they have no Plan B and man for man they are ok for the league they are in but no more.

The problem for me is the press only puts the opposition under pressure and it is designed to get them to lose possession in their final third with defenders out of position. Many sides react to the pressure by playing the long ball themselves, or at least not trying to play around with the ball near their own penalty area.

I don’t think the better sides will be successful with the press and I don’t even expect them to try it.

I don’t know if the style suits us but it is getting results so yes.
    Is there a better style that will yield the same points per game tally?
    I do see the frustration but irrespective of whatever style we play we have to concede the following limitations.
    None of our frontmen can play with their back to the opponent’s goal. None can receive and trap a ball, end off.
    None of our frontmen can win a 50 50 ball in the air, even a 70 30 in our favour to be frank.
    We don’t possess anyone in the squad I would consider a playmaker in midfield.
    All of our central defenders are poor in distribution. How many over hit, inaccurate cross field balls were simply cut out on Friday. As for trying to thread to the feet of the front three, well no chance.
    So Val is getting the best out of a bad bunch in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    I don’t know if the style suits us but it is getting results so yes.
    Is there a better style that will yield the same points per game tally?
    I do see the frustration but irrespective of whatever style we play we have to concede the following limitations.
    None of our frontmen can play with their back to the opponent’s goal. None can receive and trap a ball, end off.
    None of our frontmen can win a 50 50 ball in the air, even a 70 30 in our favour to be frank.
    We don’t possess anyone in the squad I would consider a playmaker in midfield.
    All of our central defenders are poor in distribution. How many over hit, inaccurate cross field balls were simply cut out on Friday. As for trying to thread to the feet of the front three, well no chance.
    So Val is getting the best out of a bad bunch in my opinion.

Great summary and agreed on that one! In a nutshell!

I'm not anti Ismael but I do think that we have to mix it up a bit. As I've said before, opponents are sussing us out and if we become one dimensional we will become easy to combat. The winner v QPR was quality football which proves that we can do it. I'm not advocating that we change styles completely but we have to have a plan B when plan A is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    At this moment in time we lie second in the table after a dozen games. At the start of the season we would have settled for this. We have been very impressive in certain games, for instance Sheff. Utd. and Cardiff. However, I am not convinced that this high press and direct approach actually suits the players that we have got as in too many games we have looked poor. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel that we look a better side when playing the ball on the ground and with a more considered approach. Some say that we haven't got the players to play this way but at Championship level I think that we have. This high intensity game is extremely demanding and in a forty six game season will take its toll. Others may disagree with this and I'd be interested to know your views.
    No it's not you Leicesterbaggie , it's all of us by looking at the posts , the football is appalling we're dishing up but we're getting the results so in a way that makes things look better , but for me it's just papering over the cracks we all know it's a lack of investment from the owners , if we had the same team we finished last season with we would piss this league 100% that's the frustrating part we only need a bit of quality in a couple of positions,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)