+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this style really suit us?

Does this style really suit us?

At this moment in time we lie second in the table after a dozen games. At the start of the season we would have settled for this. We have been very impressive in certain games, for instance Sheff. Utd. and Cardiff. However, I am not convinced that this high press and direct approach actually suits the players that we have got as in too many games we have looked poor. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel that we look a better side when playing the ball on the ground and with a more considered approach. Some say that we haven't got the players to play this way but at Championship level I think that we have. This high intensity game is extremely demanding and in a forty six game season will take its toll. Others may disagree with this and I'd be interested to know your views.

It’s not so much the style not suiting us as much as the three at the back.

It’s never worked for any Albion manager,even when we had better quality players.

It’s this that needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    At this moment in time we lie second in the table after a dozen games. At the start of the season we would have settled for this. We have been very impressive in certain games, for instance Sheff. Utd. and Cardiff. However, I am not convinced that this high press and direct approach actually suits the players that we have got as in too many games we have looked poor. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel that we look a better side when playing the ball on the ground and with a more considered approach. Some say that we haven't got the players to play this way but at Championship level I think that we have. This high intensity game is extremely demanding and in a forty six game season will take its toll. Others may disagree with this and I'd be interested to know your views.

With no disrespect Leicester this is the worst West Brom squad ever so not easy to play pretty football on the ground. Pereira produced the magic but we sold him and for me it’s a pity how we didn’t sell Johnstone instead as the number 2 is perhaps not quite as good but still a damn good keeper. Pereira was a match changer!

Livermore - Robinson - Phillips - Zohore - Hugill - Bartley - Diangana and Grant are average championship players. They are not Pereira!

Barnsley did not have the quality last year but made the play offs to prove the point playing this style!!

Our two best players are Clarke who couldn’t get into a Brighton squad and Mowatt who as we know came from Barnsley. This tells you something!

I wish some people would wake up to the reality of what we have become. Brentford for example now would most likely hammer us and football us off the pitch.

Val has done a fantastic job with dud players!! Name a decent goal scorer since Gayle left? Livermore rightly so could not get a game last year with Pereira, Gallagher and Okay and rightly so as all three are class!

Look at past players we had too - Dawson / Hegazi and Evans who are all superior to what we have now! Ben Foster was far superior to Johnstone too and actually commanded his box!!

We are what we are - a club raped by Lai and if fans can’t see this they need their heads examined.

Even Norwich would beat us!!! Where would the investment come from even if we got promoted as this squad again is a complete joke compared to the side who lost to Vile in the play offs.

That said - I like the high press knowing we don’t have the footballing quality and knowing Val is doing a great job. Look at past players like Mulumbu who was 3 times better than players like Livermore! I could go on and on but am a realist!

Good managers over time develop players to adapt to what they want or they ship them out and replace them with others. Val has a unique style and hasn't even been given a season yet. Bielsa is similar and had two championship seasons to get it right before gaining promotion.

I do feel that the style will suit us playing against sides looking to come at us but not those who will be rigid and play long ball against us as there is nothing to press and our style doesn't break sides down. In these matches we might just have to grind wins out like against Birmingham.

I can't tell if the style doesn't suit Diangana or if he's playing with fear. It could be a little of both.

Fulham away will be the acid test, they will come at us and play football, we win that playing the vertical press then we go up loose and it’s the playoffs..

While agreeing with you al that this side is not as good as past sides I still think that we look better with the ball on the ground. You're not telling me that Millwall, Peterborough, Derby, Birmingham, Stoke were a good watch or good performances. Even QPR was poor until those two late goals. This is not a criticism of Ismael as that is his style. After watching Swansea v. Cardiff I worry about Wednesday night. They play some good football. This of course could also play into our hands. On the other side of the coin, opponents have sussed us out and alter their game accordingly. It'll be interesting to see how Swansea approach the game.

What worries me is that we still manage to get automatic promotion with the squad we have and then have to face the Premiership without spending the money to add any decent quality to it. Don't fancy doing a Norwich next year because that will not be fun to watch😥As many have said, the quality of the championship this season is not good and the difference between the Premiership and Championship has grown wider still. The sad fact is that regardless of who your manager is the biggest contributing factor to success in the Premiership is having the money to invest...

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    While agreeing with you al that this side is not as good as past sides I still think that we look better with the ball on the ground. You're not telling me that Millwall, Peterborough, Derby, Birmingham, Stoke were a good watch or good performances. Even QPR was poor until those two late goals. This is not a criticism of Ismael as that is his style. After watching Swansea v. Cardiff I worry about Wednesday night. They play some good football. This of course could also play into our hands. On the other side of the coin, opponents have sussed us out and alter their game accordingly. It'll be interesting to see how Swansea approach the game.

Swansea would have to win today and get a confidence boost. Still say Mick hit the nail on the head - had we tried harder to get Okay and Diange we would be romping this league! Still need a decent midfielder to play with Mowatt and someone who can score FFS. Is this too difficult to ask! If Livermore was consistent with Mowatt and his final ball was as good there would be less of a problem. But it’s not!

Always say the engine to any team is the midfield and it goes back to Mulumbu and Yacob!

Phillips and Robinson may or may not turn up and it sickened me to the stomach watching those Harrogate players score six!! Not because it’s a lower league - it was still one touch - one on one composure and bang! We have nobody ruthless who can score! Maybe give Tolluch a game! People go on about Johnstone but I couldn’t give a flying f uck about him as he’s not a game changer and if better than Button it’s not by a great deal! I would have loved to have sold Johnstone and used the money for a key player like Okay or Diange who would have been a monster at this level!
    Last edited by baggieal; 17-10-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Trouble is you won’t attract a better quality player playing the way we do , they’d watch the game and say no thanks not for me

Quote Originally Posted by viaductbaggies View Post
    Trouble is you won’t attract a better quality player playing the way we do , they’d watch the game and say no thanks not for me

Players will move for one thing only - money! The style of football will be secondary! Some make me laugh when they say Johnstone has been loyal - he will be off as soon as someone comes calling and they have not! He knows leaving on a free will mean there’s interest even if it’s a number 2 at a Premier club. Main reason why he won’t sign a contract and he won’t care the club won’t get a penny!

Regardless of style we don’t pay the going rate for quality!! We do pay over the going rate though for f uckin useless donkeys like Zohore who must think he’s in Paradise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)