+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Celtic - 24h on

Celtic - 24h on

Nothing new here. Motherwell's poor record against Celtic was never threatened on Saturday. - LINK

That’s nine straight defeats against Celtic and almost six years since we last recorded a win in this fixture. I can’t remember us ever having a worse record against them, certainly during my time supporting the club.

That was never in danger of changing yesterday as yet again we looked petrified of them from the get go, inspite of our reshuffle of tactics. Once they scored that was that and it was only a question of how many.

I fully accept that there is a huge gulf between us and Celtic in terms of budget and player quality and as such they will win the vast majority of games against us. But our approach and mentality against them nowadays is all wrong and the club need to address this.

I certainly don’t see us beating them, or the other lot from Glasgow, any time soon if ever again. We just do not possess the bottle, the belief, the quality and the luck to get wins against either of them.

On the whole I do agree with a lot of what you say. However, as the Defendant's QC, I offer this in response:
    - until they scored we did 'very decent' and there were threats on either flank and in the middle. However, that should be a given as their rear-guard is truly abysmal.
    - when they got goal 1, we reverted to type in most areas of the park with players thinking (certainly from my seat), thinking 'achh well, it should only be 2 or 3'
    - had we gotten the pen we should've got circa 70 mins, could've been a different ending. But we didn't, and that then became an excuse in the post-match i'views.
    - hindsight; we didn't get gubbed !!

From our outings the past 4 games I'm happy enough. Don't see us being anywhere near the relegation fight (and FFS), that's giving me plenty of comfort compared to what we were like in May.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)