+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t .....Angela Rayner

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I remember speaking to an elderly person before the 2014 independence referendum and he told me that he was voting Yes for his grandchildren to have a better life in an independent Scotland. It would be interesting to know if this elderly person still thinks that his grandchildren would be better off in an independent Scotland now that the truth has come out about all the pitfalls of Scotland being an independent country such as which currency it would use and how it would replace the £29 billion+ annual handout from Westminster known as the Barnett Formula.
    I don't think people who support independence accept that the currency, the Barnett Formula etc are problems that make independence impractical. Somehow they need to answer these questions but I don't read solutions that actually seem to me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I don't think people who support independence accept that the currency, the Barnett Formula etc are problems that make independence impractical. Somehow they need to answer these questions but I don't read solutions that actually seem to me to work.
    As much as some don't see them as problems, without saying what the alternatives are, as many see them as problems but will say there's no way to solve them without actually saying why there are no solutions.

No perceived problem is insurmountable.

Once in a lifetime/once in a generation it makes no odds it was always gonna be a shout for another referendum before the ink was dry on the ballot papers in 2014. Heads we win tails we try again politics and that will happen suppose they have 50 referendums.

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    Once in a lifetime/once in a generation it makes no odds it was always gonna be a shout for another referendum before the ink was dry on the ballot papers in 2014. Heads we win tails we try again politics and that will happen suppose they have 50 referendums.
    I think Quebec shows that there is not an inevitable road to independence. What we need is a better relationship with Westminster IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    and how it would replace the £29 billion+ annual handout from Westminster known as the Barnett Formula.
    A handout?? Right enough in your eyes it is a handout.

Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by thegen65 View Post
    A handout?? Right enough in your eyes it is a handout.

Jeez.
    Think there is a difference between the taxes that are raised in Scotland and the money that is returned to Scotland via Holyrood. I don't think anyone argues that we get back less than we raise in taxes. What word is acceptable to describe the difference. subsidy, handout, levelling up payment?

There are good arguments for higher costs of living in Scotland and therefore a greater need for Government spending. I think that we might be better off as part of the UK than trying to be independent. Having said that it is depressing to see the sort of row being made about Carbon Capture resources. Aberdeen should be full of businesses that could get involved. Why can't Scotland just do it ourselves. Compete with our brains and our practical advantages and see if we can't actually build a world leading centre in Scotland.
    Last edited by BCram; 21-10-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    As much as some don't see them as problems, without saying what the alternatives are, as many see them as problems but will say there's no way to solve them without actually saying why there are no solutions.

No perceived problem is insurmountable.
    Apart from a patg Derry?

Quote Originally Posted by returnofrros View Post
    apart from a patg derry?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Think there is a difference between the taxes that are raised in Scotland and the money that is returned to Scotland via Holyrood. I don't think anyone argues that we get back less than we raise in taxes. What word is acceptable to describe the difference. subsidy, handout, levelling up payment?

There are good arguments for higher costs of living in Scotland and therefore a greater need for Government spending. I think that we might be better off as part of the UK than trying to be independent. Having said that it is depressing to see the sort of row being made about Carbon Capture resources. Aberdeen should be full of businesses that could get involved. Why can't Scotland just do it ourselves. Compete with our brains and our practical advantages and see if we can't actually build a world leading centre in Scotland.
    Alex Salmond wanted a third question on the 2014 independence ballot paper namely Devo Max. This would have resulted in the Scottish Government receiving a lot more powers and taking the credit when things went well whilst blaming Westminster when things went wrong.
    David Cameron refused to accept the Devo Max option on the ballot paper resulting in a straight Yes or No option on the ballot paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Apart from a patg Derry?
    There is a way to stop the ticket only entry in The Derry though - shut it down.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)