+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle United.

Football continues to sell its soul to the Devil! I have said many times that owners should see themselves as custodians of a club and it’s traditions, these foreign charlatans shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near our great clubs, the fit and proper test for ownership is a farce, the Chinese, Saudis, Abu Dhabi’ and the yanks are not in it for any other reason than to show off to their dodgy mates. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    My opinion is that whoever is the top of every company, football club, school, whatever sets the tone for the whole organisation. It cascades down from top to bottom.
    So yes sadly I am more that concerned about the future of WBA.

Is there a future under Lai? Will he care if he gets his cash back and rapes the club further?

Would prefer to have some sort of salary cap ... like they do in Rugby and I think American football. So you can’t have these so-called big clubs with billionaire owners winning everything. What is the point of other clubs ..... and I hate to say it like us .... just being cannon fodder for the big clubs.

Only way I can see us ever winning anything .... is if we get taken over by billionaire owners ..... had dreamt that Lai currying favour in Saudi with the Hegazi and Pereira deals was with a potential exit in mind...

Was talking to a Saudi friend over the weekend - I used to live in the region .... and he said it was the start of a Saudi spending spree on other clubs.... sadly likely to be other leagues ...

A quite depressing read this thread isn't it? My Dad is a Blues supporter and we have spoken for years about how money has been killing the game. It has come a long way since Trevor Francis became the first million pound player and dodgy billionaire owners, foreign investors and Sky have ensured that there is a massive gap between the top clubs and everyone else that makes it nigh on impossible for smaller clubs to compete. The Leicester story is brilliant, but-as said -it is a once in the blue moon one. It is quite tempting to think that the so called top clubs do actually bugger off and play amongst themselves and allow the rest to play in leagues w here they all stand a better chance of competing more equally but then would it generate the money needed? You look at the top clubs and you see these undeniably great players but you also watch the old clips on YouTube from the 60s, 70s and 80s and there were many teams and players then who were just as good. They may not have been as finely tuned as today's players with recent advancements in nutrition and fitness programs but they were tougher because they had to be playing on muddy and frozen pitches with a heavier ball. Misty eyed nostalgia? Maybe, but there was a lot to be said for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
    Would prefer to have some sort of salary cap ... like they do in Rugby and I think American football. So you can’t have these so-called big clubs with billionaire owners winning everything. What is the point of other clubs ..... and I hate to say it like us .... just being cannon fodder for the big clubs.

Only way I can see us ever winning anything .... is if we get taken over by billionaire owners ..... had dreamt that Lai currying favour in Saudi with the Hegazi and Pereira deals was with a potential exit in mind...

Was talking to a Saudi friend over the weekend - I used to live in the region .... and he said it was the start of a Saudi spending spree on other clubs.... sadly likely to be other leagues ...

Not interested in a Saudi owner even if they pump in millions with their disgusting human rights record. Would rather have another Benham at Brentford with passion and love for the club.

I agree a salary cap should be in place. Nothing but GREED GREED and more Greed in the Premier/Championship! Sick of it as are many!

Saudis, Chinese, Russians .... a lot of human rights issues with the lot of them. I too would prefer an owner who loves the club and has our best interests at heart. Sadly any success in this approach - Brentford are the darlings at the moment - is likely to be short lived. Haven’t done the analysis but I suspect there is a very strong correlation between Trophies won/League position and money pumped in.

Only two solutions in my mind. A salary cap to even things up. Or let the “big clubs” **** off to their own Super League. Would be happy with either. Otherwise what is the point of the other 90% of clubs ..... maybe a few days in the sun ..... but winning anything forget it .... except in a blue moon like Leicester.

We are now in the position that any club, no matter how they have performed or progressed historically, could be taken over by billionaire owners and become a world power. They could be the most average of sides. It could even be a Rochdale. Tell me, where is the credit in that? There isn't any. I thought it was an unedifying sight watching Newcastle fans' sheer extacy at the take over news. That's what football has become. Nothing to do with building a side through effort and hard work. Football, in this country has lost its way and legislation to stop this needs to be implemented. It won't though.

Interesting the prem have voted to stop owners investing their own money (or company money) into sponsorship of the ground, training ground or shirt sponsorship etc to try and get round FFP definitely to late as other clubs have profited massivley from already being allowed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    We are now in the position that any club, no matter how they have performed or progressed historically, could be taken over by billionaire owners and become a world power. They could be the most average of sides. It could even be a Rochdale. Tell me, where is the credit in that? There isn't any. I thought it was an unedifying sight watching Newcastle fans' sheer extacy at the take over news. That's what football has become. Nothing to do with building a side through effort and hard work. Football, in this country has lost its way and legislation to stop this needs to be implemented. It won't though.
    To be fair. We would be exactly the same as Newcastle fans had we been taken over by Saudi's with unlimited deep pockets.

This is football now. For a club like us, success is staying in the Premier League and a cup run to the Semi's. It is highly unlikely we will ever finish in the top 8 of the premier league again or that we will win a cup, unless we have a takeover like what Newcastle have just had.

Just a few points:

Of course the teams in the PL at the top anyway, are going to bring in every protectionist rule they can to stop the likes of Newcastle and any other new rich owner, trying to get their slice of the riches. Even those in the bottom half will be worried as Newcastle are still potentially one to go down out of the 3. Take that away and it becomes more likely relegation for the mid table sides.

Remember at the moment at least, only 4 clubs qualify for the massive monies available via the Champions league. Who thinks Newcastle, Saudi money or not, are going to find if easy to break into that top 4? I am not saying they won’t but they will find it a lot harder than Chelsea and Man City did just because the competition up there is greater now. Man City still have not won the Champions league despite their wealth.

Remember how difficult it was for Man City at the start to attract the very best players, they didn’t for quite sometime. Newcastle has not got the pull overseas that London, Manchester and Liverpool has, and that is from someone who loves the city, the NE and has lived here since 1985 despite several offers of better money by moving away from the area.

I could add more but I won’t. Where will Newcastle be in say 5 years? My guess - established as a Premier league team challenging for a top 4 place. A lot better than now but far from what most of their fans think.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)