+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The FA Cup 1st round draw

The FA Cup 1st round draw

Remember when we were in this 1st Round draw and we lost at Altringham!!.
    It doesn't feel like it was 6 years ago now, and it did of course all turn out alright in the end because we won at Wembley twice that season and came back up to the Champship.

Looking at todays 1st Round draw, the tie that interests me the most is Pontefract Collieries or Halifax v Maidenhead.
    Wow, Ponty Fc against Halifax Fc and the winners are at home in the 1st Round. Thats a chance of a real West Yorkshire giant killing act there, come on Ponty!.

Equivalent of a league one side holding a top PL club to a draw yesterday I thought with Ponte getting the 0-0 against Halifax .

I believe Halifax are full time pro's with the fitness levels that go with it so it was an outstanding effort considering they are part time and play for beer tokens .

The early rounds are the best of the FA cup these days in my opinion .

The longer it goes on the worse it gets .

Marine v Spurs last season was class in the third round with fans watching behind the perimeter fence enjoying glasses of wine .

Still a great competition spoiled when it gets past the third round .

As good as it is to have a Cup run, the FA Cup always seems to feel like a nuisance these days when it comes around. Yes I enjoyed us really testing Chelsea in the 5th Round last season, but the 3rd and 4th Rounds can be a bit of a drag when the League is always the main priority.

It brings back memories of us avoiding defeat in the tricky ties away at Enfield (at Tottenham's White hart lane) and Caernarfon and Bromsgrove. Your on a hiding to nothing when it comes to those sort of matches and its good to come out of them in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    As good as it is to have a Cup run, the FA Cup always seems to feel like a nuisance these days when it comes around. Yes I enjoyed us really testing Chelsea in the 5th Round last season, but the 3rd and 4th Rounds can be a bit of a drag when the League is always the main priority.

It brings back memories of us avoiding defeat in the tricky ties away at Enfield (at Tottenham's White hart lane) and Caernarfon and Bromsgrove. Your on a hiding to nothing when it comes to those sort of matches and its good to come out of them in one piece.
    It just shows how far we've fallen in just a few months .

Virtually the same group of players had one of the best group of talented players in Europe struggling to even get out of their own penalty area such was the organisation of the high press and high defensive line .

We even had the better chances on the night .

Val's football wasn't everyone's cup of char but he is an outstanding coach .

Vals football was way more exciting than the schlop were now getting served.

No it wasn't always good football to watch. But theres no doubt that Val was a top coach because he had the players looking like they were prepared to run through the proverbial brick wall for him.

As for that Chelsea cup game Animal, yes I know Im biased but I think we largely outplayed them and they scraped the result because of Tammy Abraham's goal and goal line clearance.
    Cup runs can help a poor League season but it just shows that its not and never will be the main priority. Norwich weren't too bothered were they when we put them out in the 4th round, as it was clear that they were going for the title and promotion to the Premiership.

I see Halifax beat Pontefract 1-0 in the replay during the week, so its a shame we won't be seeing Ponty in the 1st round proper.

What do we remember as the last real giant killing act in the FA cup, they just don't seem to stand out anymore like they used to.