+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A STATEMENT - please read.

A STATEMENT - please read.

A few words about the last few days and the way forward.

Moderating a board isn’t an exact science. Look at these last two days. Some have left the board because they don’t like the content, others because they think the content is OK but they don’t like the modding. How can you deal with those opposites? In short you can’t; you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t. If you moderate heavily and issue bans you’re wrong. If you ignore everything you’re wrong. So you deal with each issue as it arises and hope that you get it right most of the time. But you will NEVER please everyone, even though we are all adults and should know when to react and when to leave things alone when reading the subject matter here.

All I can do is be honest.

Kel’s a bloke with kids and I’m a bloke with grandkids. Both of us have encountered p­aedophiles on and off these boards and it has left us wary, but also with an understanding that having it insinuated or alleged that you are one is the worst thing that you can be accused of. I’m aware that the last week has given us both stress and that needs to stop.

Understand also that I’m not around all the time. Kel has greater mod privileges that me so bear that in mind. Running this as an independent board means, to me, free of the influence of CUFC or the Trust, it is not about a second mod taking actions in my absence when he has been personally abused by a former poster. Any actions taken will be by myself or Kel (should he continue to visit here) and I should make it clear that software glitches will never be blamed. That would not be honest.

So, from here on I won’t accept any chat about p­aedos in any context on this board. It will not be used as a slur. It will not be associated with any town or area. That needs to be clear.

Be understanding and accept that other posters may have views different or more extreme than your own. It doesn’t mean that they’re right or wrong or any less valuable than your own. Try and debate rather than argue or trade insults.

Please try and follow these expectations or action might have to be taken for the good of the board.

We move on.

Thanks Griff.

Your Board your rules.

I visited the Red Lion last night.

Theoretically I believe in freedom of speech but if this Board ever ended up like that I would stop posting/reading.

On that basis an element of moderation may well be the best way forward.

It’ll be a light touch but not as light as before.

In the background both Kel and I have been attempting to reverse the ban on Yoonited’s account. It’s down to 7 days but we can’t get it below that so just let it be known that we tried.

Further update. DSG have been involved by a third party, not a poster here so far as I am aware, and they have decided to remove the thread that raised issues at the weekend and issue a ban to NORTHERNSOUL. I’ve let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Further update. DSG have been involved by a third party, not a poster here so far as I am aware, and they have decided to remove the thread that raised issues at the weekend and issue a ban to NORTHERNSOUL. I’ve let him know.
    Do you know if Northernsoul's ban is temporary or permanent?

The entry says ‘permanent’.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    The entry says ‘permanent’.
    Interesting.

Bearing in mind some of the language used and the personal abuse on that thread it seems strange that DSG saw fit to issue only one ban.

Based on some of the content on that particular thread, I guess it is possible that the Trust are behind this.

If so the independence of this forum from Carlisle United and CUOSC must come under question.

Recent events on here are very sad bearing in mind the increasing footfall that we were starting to see a few weeks ago.

Griff I have every sympathy for your personal position in all of this so you do not need to reply.

If they’ve influenced DSG then I’ll be spitting. I’ve asked who made the complaint so I’ll wait for an answer.

I think I know who made the complaint.

If I’m correct, I think I am, it’s the smoking gun needed to put the “missing posts” issue on the other site to bed.

Christ! I’ve had more abuse on messsgeboards etc and not once have I called for anyone to be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by mullen103 View Post
    I think I know who made the complaint.

If I’m correct, I think I am, it’s the smoking gun needed to put the “missing posts” issue on the other site to bed.

Christ! I’ve had more abuse on messsgeboards etc and not once have I called for anyone to be banned.
    That would certainly square the circle.

I still don't understand why they couldn't just be honest and explain their reasons for doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)