+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Universe Explained.

The Universe Explained.

I’ve always found this clip fascinating.

If you were now based in the Andromeda Galaxy and had a telescope that could look back at Earth you’d actually our planet as it was 2.5 million years ago, at best you’d see very early human life forms.

I love this s h I t! 🤣

https://youtu.be/AC7yFDb1zOA

Thanks for posting! Not seen that clip before and a good, straightforward., explanation. Like yourself, have been similarly fascinated by this stuff for a while-maybe it has something to do with age as growing up we had all these tv sci-fi shows set in space, plus, of course, the whole Apollo moon landing thing. Personally, I always sort of visualized the various galaxies as this massive carpet and the earth was just like a tiny microscopic spec of dust somewhere in it😃 Used to quite like watching old Patrick Moore too but enjoy Brian Cox's stuff today and the photos of our universe that modern technology allows us now are fascinating. Certainly puts things in perspective doesn't it! Also quite enjoy reading around ideas on relativity and quantum physics but must admit that when I try to grapple with even the so called easy version of A Brief History of Time I end up feeling like that character out of Month Python : "my brain hurts!" No sooner do I think I have a small grasp on a concept then it slips out of my fingers !🙄

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ve always found this clip fascinating.

If you were now based in the Andromeda Galaxy and had a telescope that could look back at Earth you’d actually our planet as it was 2.5 million years ago, at best you’d see very early human life forms.

I love this s h I t! 🤣

https://youtu.be/AC7yFDb1zOA
    Love it to mickd , can't really say i truly understand it but really do love it , always have since I was a kid ,

Fascinating watch! What I cannot come to terms with though is that there is no end. How can there not be an end to anything. If there is an end, what's beyond that? Gives me the shivers!

A great watch and I could watch these programs all day long. Trying to understand the unknown is always fascinating.

It is indeed most fascinating, scientists have long been trying to find ‘The Theory of Everything’, because Einstein’s Theory of Relativity is not compatible with what we see in Quantum Mechanics. Some believe that String Theory holds the key; now, if your brain hurt before, try getting to grips with String Theory, it could well explode! String Theory requires that there are at least 10 or 11 other dimensions, some of which are rolled up into tiny spaces………..

As I said, fascinating!

The thing I’ve never been able to fathom is there being some kind of an edge that our universe keeps expanding and pushing further out!?

For something to grow or expand into there has to be something for it to expand into, whatever that thing is it still exists.

Even if it’s a dark empty space of nothingness apart from the space itself it’s still there.

As a species we will die out without ever knowing the answer I suspect and one day when the universe dies it’ll all have been pointless anyway.

Take my gran for example, she’s not worrying about what to have for dinner today and she wasn’t at all concerned during the Boar War!

I remember being fascinated by this sort of thing when I was young and trying without much success to explain it to my parents. On You Tube there are a lot of videos dealing with the issue of the universe and it’s incomprehensible size and scale. Worth having a peruse. Then of course there is the other way when things get increasingly smaller ie down to the atom, molecules etc. The (my) mind fairly boggles

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The thing I’ve never been able to fathom is there being some kind of an edge that our universe keeps expanding and pushing further out!?

For something to grow or expand into there has to be something for it to expand into, whatever that thing is it still exists.

Even if it’s a dark empty space of nothingness apart from the space itself it’s still there.
    If it's a vacuum then the expansion into it is instant too according to the laws of physics - I think a lot of us look up at the stars and just, wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    If it's a vacuum then the expansion into it is instant too according to the laws of physics - I think a lot of us look up at the stars and just, wonder.
    The expansion cannot be faster than the speed of light, if Einstein is to be believed, nobody has yet disproved that. When the Universe (our universe, there may be others) first came into existence, it was subject to what is called expansion, this was in the first few milliseconds and the rate of expansion must have been far greater than light speed; nobody has explained that one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)