+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wembley...behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I don’t think I’ve come across that before, but it seem a lot more acceptable. Sadly you and I might both struggle with the God bit.
    God was still vaguely relevant in the 1830's but in today's multi-religious world, I imagine the reference to God will soon be excised in favour of a more neutral senior deity figure..............

I’m sorry...I’m not sure if you’ve been hacked or are just having a bad day but I’ve no idea what the above means.
    /Sorry,for oink read link. I was eating a bacon sandwich and typing at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Strange that because my "wrong" figure of £ 250 was seen on a genuine ticket to the match that a client of mine had bought - he then had to pay scalpers many thousand for a couple more tickets, but that was his choice. £ 50 may well have been the price for the quarter final, bt it was a quarter final, not the final..... and perhaps (I dont know) he had to buy that ticket "blind" without knowing if England were even playing in that game?
    I think my point is that those in the variations of ‘Club England’ - and there is no self interest here - deserve a better deal.
    At club level there would be justifiable outrage if, at playoff level for instance, there was no reward for those who had shown support throughout the season. Hence first picks go to season ticket holders and then those who have bought a greater number of tickets etc.
    Seems fair in principle to me but that doesn’t extend to FA Cup Finals or apparently Euro Finals.
    There is no way that I am justifying the appalling behaviour we saw at Wembley but seeing the so called ‘great and the good’ invited to the most high profile matches while genuine supporters are precluded is a tad nauseating...imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    /Sorry,for oink read link. I was eating a bacon sandwich and typing at the same time
    Lesson would appear to be...don’t try and multi task, AF.

So sing Hickson's Alt National Anthem of 1830's rA

God bless our native land!
    May Heav'n's protecting hand
    Still guard our shore:
    May peace her power extend,
    Foe be transformed to friend,
    And Britain's rights depend
    On war no more.

There you go, now you too can j0in without fear of any demonstrable royalist leanings

I always liked the verse about crushing seditious scots myself
    That version still refers to God and Heaven. I don't believe either exist so it would still be a meaningless dirge to me

he then had to pay scalpers many thousand for a couple more tickets, but that was his choice.
    Interesting word choice there GP. I've only ever heard ticket touts referred to as "scalpers" in the US and Canada. Has the term made its merry way across the pond and is now in regular use in good old Blighty?

Boris bless our native land!
    May Eton's protecting hand
    Still guard our shore:
    On war no more.

There we go, Ive democratised it for you although it may now lead to rA not singing it

I've always used the phrase scalper, although that my be due to having spent several formative years in a North American slandg environment. have heard it used quite a bitNot sure if its marched over here completely, but

Boris bless our native land!
    May Eton's protecting hand
    Still guard our shore:
    On war no more.

There we go, Ive democratised it for you although it may now lead to rA not singing it

I've always used the phrase scalper, although that my be due to having spent several formative years in a North American slandg environment. have heard it used quite a bitNot sure if its marched over here completely, but
    You’re bored today aren’t you?

Im not well again, bloody cold has returned

Oh c’mon...now you’re being ridiculous. You know as well as I do that invariably the only part of the National Anthem that is ever sung is the first verse.
    When have you ever heard the third verse sung...least of all at Wembley?
    Tbh I have few feelings about the Queen. She seems now to be a pleasant enough old lady and I wish her no harm at all, but I don’t respect the anachronistic system she is the head of, or her dysfunctional family, and I certainly don’t want her/them to ‘reign over us’.
    It’s a weird contradiction...that Brexiteers and traditionalists alike frequently hold democracy in such high esteem and yet also seem to paradoxically respect the monarchy which is the complete antithesis of democracy...or maybe that’s just me being ‘ignorant and not informed’.
    Even more ironically, the roots of the present Royals lie in europe, but apparently the average Brexit/patriotic gammon doesn't mind immigrants with made up names if they represent outdated history!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Even more ironically, the roots of the present Royals lie in europe, but apparently the average Brexit/patriotic gammon doesn't mind immigrants with made up names if they represent outdated history!
    Back to the late night rambles eh Swale, how we've missed them. Guess you'll be shuffling off counting your Euros at 11am tomorrow to avoid the embarrassment of idulging in any form of patriotism?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)