+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wembley...behind closed doors.

Wembley...behind closed doors.

How sad and shameful that this is what we’ve come to.
    The scenes and experiences of last summer against Italy ruined what should have been the greatest national football occasion since 1966.
    It would be nice to think that those responsible could be punished accordingly, but, as ever, they won’t be.
    Who though is to blame? Well, the thugs and bullies who pushed their way through disabled entrances and then occupied seats refusing to move when the actual ticket holder arrived for one, but also a system which allowed genuine fans access to tickets for the relatively minor matches and then put tickets for the semi and the final out of the financial reach of ordinary fans. In addition the powers that be who failed to organise proper policing of the event (I don’t blame stewards paid a pittance for failing to stand up to hard core thugs) and then there is the mentality we saw from some commentator/official(?) or other yesterday who justified the booing of rival anthems as just ‘a bit of pantomime’. No it isn’t...it’s a national embarrassment to most of us.
    Things really have to change. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-10-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    How sad and shameful that this is what we’ve come to.
    The scenes and experiences of last summer against Italy ruined what should have been the greatest national football occasion since 1966.
    It would be nice to think that those responsible could be punished accordingly, but, as ever, they won’t be.
    Who though is to blame? Well, the thugs and bullies who pushed their way through disabled entrances and then occupied seats refusing to move when the actual ticket holder arrived for one, but also a system which allowed genuine fans access to tickets for the relatively minor matches and then put tickets for the semi and the final out of the financial reach of ordinary fans. In addition the powers that be failed to organise proper policing of the event (I don’t blame stewards paid a pittance for failing to stand up to hard core thugs) and then there is the mentality we saw from some commentator/official(?) or other yesterday who justified the booing of rival anthems as just ‘a bit of pantomime’. No it isn’t...it’s a national embarrassment to most of us.
    Things really have to change. Thoughts?
    Thugs/freeloaders: identify them, apply the law to them, ban them from football.

Ticket prices: good luck suppressing supply/demand, tickets should be non transferable above face value though

Policing: should be higher for big games and added to ticket prices

Anthems: you know my view from the past, home anthems should be sung with gusto, away anthems should be respected, but there’s a wider issue that our own anthem/flag aren’t respected enough by our own population

Who is to blame? A hard one to answer other than "Joe Public" in the form of so called fans. I dont think the face value of the tickets was out of line for an international final but the reduced capacity certainly drove the black market prices up into the thousands, or more. But, as we all (wrongly?) suspected at Hillsborough, ticket less fans forcing themselves in lay at the heart. It's easy to blame inadequate stewarding or policing, but that's like blaming your poor quality door when burglars kick it in and steal your priceless collection of Rams 1970s programs and give your disabled granny a kicking. End of the day though, probably Johnson and his Tory cronies at fault 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Who is to blame? A hard one to answer other than "Joe Public" in the form of so called fans. I dont think the face value of the tickets was out of line for an international final but the reduced capacity certainly drove the black market prices up into the thousands, or more. But, as we all (wrongly?) suspected at Hillsborough, ticket less fans forcing themselves in lay at the heart. It's easy to blame inadequate stewarding or policing, but that's like blaming your poor quality door when burglars kick it in and steal your priceless collection of Rams 1970s programs and give your disabled granny a kicking. End of the day though, probably Johnson and his Tory cronies at fault 😀
    (Wrongly?) - don’t start that one again

You’re only half wrong on the door thing, I had a scrote break into my house (in Spain) and part of his defence was that my door was in a ‘tempting place’, not sure if that was the doors fault or mine, I generally position my doors in walls but who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Thugs/freeloaders: identify them, apply the law to them, ban them from football.

Ticket prices: good luck suppressing supply/demand, tickets should be non transferable above face value though

Policing: should be higher for big games and added to ticket prices

Anthems: you know my view from the past, home anthems should be sung with gusto, away anthems should be respected, but there’s a wider issue that our own anthem/flag aren’t respected enough by our own population
    If only...a tad idealistic, possibly especially during a pandemic.

There was a lack of fairness for those, not me, in the various England supporters clubs. Can’t remember for sure now but I had a guy doing some work for me at the time who got very affordable tickets for the earlier matches, including Germany, but then found himself completely priced out as tickets were snapped up by celebs and other ‘worthies’. We need to address that.

Agreed. You can’t rely on stewards at huge matches.

Vicious circle Andy. Those you speak of are going to struggle to respect our anthem/flag when others with the flag draped around their shoulders or wearing nationalistic badges including the UJ are the very ones conspicuously and vociferously jeering the anthems of others. Having attended many RU, RL and Cricket internationals...this seldom happens with other sports.

(Wrongly?) - don’t start that one again

You’re only half wrong on the door thing, I had a scrote break into my house (in Spain) and part of his defence was that my door was in a ‘tempting place’, not sure if that was the doors fault or mine, I generally position my doors in walls but who knows
    That's an excuse you can use if you ever have to go to court accused of kicking a burglar in the crown jewels.......

Vicious circle Andy. Those you speak of are going to struggle to respect our anthem/flag when others with the flag draped around their shoulders or wearing nationalistic badges including the UJ are the very ones conspicuously and vociferously jeering the anthems of others. Having attended many RU, RL and Cricket internationals...this seldom happens with other sports.
    But that’s muddled thinking. Clear thinking Patriots seeing our own national flag disrespected would respond by flying/singing in a respectful manner. Now here’s a thought: those who claim that the fellah who Murdered the poor MP was not representative of his religion and that it should be respected (fair point IMO) should also agree that our flag in the hands of a thug is not representative of our country - sadly ‘they’ don’t.

David Amess...... yes he was a real genuine nice guy. Back in the day when I worked for someone else, he had a recruitment company and took myself and a colleague on a tour round the palace of westminster followed by a splendid lunch in one of the dining rooms there. Most enjoyable - would have got my vote for this alone had I been in his then constituency: but Im a tart

But that’s muddled thinking. Clear thinking Patriots seeing our own national flag disrespected would respond by flying/singing in a respectful manner. Now here’s a thought: those who claim that the fellah who Murdered the poor MP was not representative of his religion and that it should be respected (fair point IMO) should also agree that our flag in the hands of a thug is not representative of our country - sadly ‘they’ don’t.
    Sorry, Andy...I’m not sure it’s me who’s guilty of ‘muddled thinking’ on this one.

Firstly your attempt to link this topic to the murder of David Amess, or Jo Cox for that matter, seems tenuous in the extreme.
    Secondly, I’m sure I’m not the only person who supports their country but is not actually a monarchist.
    Not sure how you fly ‘in a respectful manner’ but it would be utterly hypocritical of me and a great many others to sing the National Anthem - which I don’t think I’ve done since I was nine or ten - when, without going over old ground, I don’t actually believe a word of it.

Sorry, Andy...I’m not sure it’s me who’s guilty of ‘muddled thinking’ on this one.

Firstly your attempt to link this topic to the murder of David Amess, or Jo Cox for that matter, seems tenuous in the extreme.
    Secondly, I’m sure I’m not the only person who supports their country but is not actually a monarchist.
    Not sure how you fly ‘in a respectful manner’ but it would be utterly hypocritical of me and a great many others to sing the National Anthem - which I don’t think I’ve done since I was nine or ten - when, without going over old ground, I don’t actually believe a word of it.
    I never made the link between David Amess andJo Cox but somehow knew you would

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)