+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wycombe Wanderers Post Match Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Another wind up merchant, Beaufighter signed to MM 2009 only 800+ posts.He’s having a laugh. Just looked outside it’s a full Moon tonight that probably explains his comments.
    maybe he has better things to do than spend all his time on mm. maybe you haven’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    maybe he has better things to do than spend all his time on mm. maybe you haven’t.
    What like posting crap. & watching different football matches than most fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Why? It’s a fact. Last season in the Champ, as with this season, we had to fight to earn the right to play. When this didn’t work against better teams it was all fight and other clubs forum postings were exactly the same as this thread has been. Last night was two strong and strong-arm teams largely cancelling each other out, with the rider that when we got on top we started to play some good stuff, but that only happened in the second half. If Wycombe had got the upper hand the roles would have been reversed.
    Respectfully disagree with this. Yes we have been described as physical, land of the giants, direct etc but I've never heard many opposition fans talk about our persistent time wasting, ref conning and physios doing more running than half the players.

Don't forget, in the Championship we often come up against teams who have one or two players who are valued more than our entire squad combined. We simply have no other option than to play physical football and try to stop the other team getting momentum, but we do that is by being an extremely fit side who battle for everything. Yeah of course there's been some instances where players have taken one for the team etc, every team will do that when they need to. But Wycombe have made an artform of this and play this way every game. To say we're the same as them is a little too harsh on our team for my liking

With the players they have in their squad, I don't think it's necessary for them to play the way they do in League One. However, that being said, it clearly works for them and it got them a good point away from home on Tuesday night. Like I said in my first post in this thread, we knew what to expect and needed to find a way to overcome it. We couldn't quite manage it. So the tactics worked and they remain above us in the table.

Just watched Ainsworth on their site. Quite complimentary about the game and us. He slipped up once," It was important not to get beat tonight, and we managed it by hook or by crook", certainly got that right.

Move on to MK dons.....UTM.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekProsser(East Anglia) View Post
    Respectfully disagree with this. Yes we have been described as physical, land of the giants, direct etc but I've never heard many opposition fans talk about our persistent time wasting, ref conning and physios doing more running than half the players.

Don't forget, in the Championship we often come up against teams who have one or two players who are valued more than our entire squad combined. We simply have no other option than to play physical football and try to stop the other team getting momentum, but we do that is by being an extremely fit side who battle for everything. Yeah of course there's been some instances where players have taken one for the team etc, every team will do that when they need to. But Wycombe have made an artform of this and play this way every game. To say we're the same as them is a little too harsh on our team for my liking

With the players they have in their squad, I don't think it's necessary for them to play the way they do in League One. However, that being said, it clearly works for them and it got them a good point away from home on Tuesday night. Like I said in my first post in this thread, we knew what to expect and needed to find a way to overcome it. We couldn't quite manage it. So the tactics worked and they remain above us in the table.
    My view on this is somewhere between that of Beaufighter and Derek Prosser.

We often had to play ugly in the championship to try to survive but we didn't tend practice the blatant time-wasting tactics and niggling that Wycombe used on Tuesday. I think Wycombe can and do play attractive football - note we've both scored 20 goals this season - but that wasn't the plan against us (though in fairness they did also make some breathtaking breakaways.)

Some may say Anscombe was unacceptably cynical with his methods - and, sadly for football, they work. I think we're capable of a cynical approach when we need to (to Beaufighter's point) though not in the same way and perhaps not to the same degree.

If we go one up at Sunderland, with twenty to go, you can be sure we will try to slow things down whenever and however we can.

If we go one up at Sunderland, with twenty to go, you can be sure we will try to slow things down whenever and however we can...................................exactly. Pity other can't see this.

We are assuming here that Wycombe play that way in every game, which might be wrong.

Perhaps they are a team with a manager that studies the opposition and formulates plans accordingly, ie plans A, B, C and D etc rather than just trusting in plan A and hoping it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    I'm judging him after a handful of cameos and I'm pretty happy all in all. Scored a few goals, links up well with Smudge, great link up and hold up play for an averagely sized forward, clever, nice touches, in the right places. He isn't blisteringly quick but 100% guaranteed if you were to ask Smudge he would say Grigg has made his job easier. And yes he typically plays 60 minutes but the suggestion that Kayode or Sadlier is a better option than him is laughable. He will get better and better, having had no pre season.
    I agree, just because Wycombe stifled him doesn’t mean Grigg isn’t a good signing. M7ch more to come from him.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekProsser(East Anglia) View Post

Ok, fair point about them not needing to do this in league one, and maybe that’s a compliment to us that they felt the need.

Disappointing that people react to an opposing viewpoint with attacking the poster rather than the points made. Fortunately I give not a jot about any of that.

To be fair. Italy became Euro champions playing the same way.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast